Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A dinmmable substitute for an incadescent bulb

We have a ceiling fan with a light fixture over the kitchen table. There
are a pair of 100 watt bulbs in the lamp.The lamp has been on wall dimmer
for a dozen years.
I have a small stash of 100watt bulbs tucked away while waiting for a good
bulb substitute.

Last week we were at Sam's Club. Here's what I found

A 4-pack of bulbs, made in China (of course) branded GE.
They have a clear glass envelope the size of a standard 100 watt bulb.
Inside is a small halogen bulb.
They are not really a big electricity saver, but consume only 72 watts.
The cost at Sam's was about $6

I finally installed them today. They dim nicely. They passed the wife's
appraisal and seem to be brighter at full power than the old bulbs.

The packaging has the usual warning about halogen bulbs and a further
statement that they should be used in a shaded fixture to eliminate UV
emission.

I thought you folks would be interested. I haven't noticed them being
advertised.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Charlie wrote:

SNIP the application to edit for space

Last week we were at Sam's Club. Here's what I found

A 4-pack of bulbs, made in China (of course) branded GE.
They have a clear glass envelope the size of a standard 100 watt bulb.
Inside is a small halogen bulb.
They are not really a big electricity saver, but consume only 72 watts.
The cost at Sam's was about $6

I finally installed them today. They dim nicely. They passed the wife's
appraisal and seem to be brighter at full power than the old bulbs.

The packaging has the usual warning about halogen bulbs and a further
statement that they should be used in a shaded fixture to eliminate UV
emission.

If the halogen capsules have glass outer bulbs around them, which is
usual for halogen replacements for ordinary incandescents, then the UV is
not a problem. I suspect the package designer did not know everything.
--
- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charlie" wrote in message
[...]

I use 4 60 watt in same style of fixture. Bought a bunch of GE ones. Package
said assembled in USA. Are we importing bulb parts now? WW

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charlie" wrote in
:

We have a ceiling fan with a light fixture over the kitchen table.
There are a pair of 100 watt bulbs in the lamp.The lamp has been on
wall dimmer for a dozen years.
I have a small stash of 100watt bulbs tucked away while waiting for a
good bulb substitute.

Last week we were at Sam's Club. Here's what I found

A 4-pack of bulbs, made in China (of course) branded GE.
They have a clear glass envelope the size of a standard 100 watt bulb.
Inside is a small halogen bulb.

Halogen bulbs ARE incandescent. That's why you can dim them so easily.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 21, 8:48*pm, Tegger wrote:
"Charlie" wrote :

We have a ceiling fan with a light fixture over the kitchen table.
There are a pair of 100 watt bulbs in the lamp.The lamp has been on
wall dimmer for a dozen years.
I have a small stash of 100watt bulbs tucked away while waiting for a
good bulb substitute.

Last week we were at *Sam's Club. Here's what I found

A 4-pack of bulbs, made in China (of course) branded GE.
They have a clear glass envelope the size of a standard 100 watt bulb.
Inside is a small halogen bulb.

Halogen bulbs ARE incandescent. That's why you can dim them so easily.

--
Tegger

My vote for the best answer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

On Mar 21, 8:48*pm, Tegger wrote:
"Charlie" wrote
-se

ptember.org:

We have a ceiling fan with a light fixture over the kitchen table.
There are a pair of 100 watt bulbs in the lamp.The lamp has been on
wall dimmer for a dozen years.
I have a small stash of 100watt bulbs tucked away while waiting for
a good bulb substitute.

Last week we were at *Sam's Club. Here's what I found

A 4-pack of bulbs, made in China (of course) branded GE.
They have a clear glass envelope the size of a standard 100 watt
bulb. Inside is a small halogen bulb.

Halogen bulbs ARE incandescent. That's why you can dim them so
easily.

--
Tegger

My vote for the best answer.

Substansiated by GE Glosssary FWIW.

http://www.gelighting.com/na/home_li...lossary.html#H

Halogen Lamp
A halogen lamp is an incandescent lamp with a filament that is surrounded
by halogen gases, such as iodine or bromine. Halogen gases allow the
filaments to be operated at higher temperatures and higher efficacies.
The halogen participates in a tungsten transport cycle, returning
tungsten to the filament and prolonging lamp life.

Halogen-IR (HIR) Lamp
GE designation for high-efficiency tungsten halogen lamps. HIR lamps
utilize shaped filament tubes coated with numerous layers of materials
that transmit light but reflect the heat (infrared) back into the
filament. This reduces the power needed to keep the filament hot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tegger" wrote in message
"Charlie" wrote in
:

We have a ceiling fan with a light fixture over the kitchen table.
There are a pair of 100 watt bulbs in the lamp.The lamp has been on
wall dimmer for a dozen years.
I have a small stash of 100watt bulbs tucked away while waiting for a
good bulb substitute.

Last week we were at Sam's Club. Here's what I found

A 4-pack of bulbs, made in China (of course) branded GE.
They have a clear glass envelope the size of a standard 100 watt bulb.
Inside is a small halogen bulb.

Halogen bulbs ARE incandescent. That's why you can dim them so easily.

--
Tegger

Please don't shoot the messenger!

GE, on the packaging, prominently says they are an "incandescent
replacement."
In the finer print it says "traditional incandescent."

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 15:04:31 +0000 (UTC), Red Green
wrote:

" wrote in
:

On Mar 21, 8:48*pm, Tegger wrote:
"Charlie" wrote
-se

ptember.org:

[...]

"In case of radioactive wind, break glass for fresh iodine."

filaments to be operated at higher temperatures and higher efficacies.
The halogen participates in a tungsten transport cycle, returning
tungsten to the filament and prolonging lamp life.

Halogen-IR (HIR) Lamp
GE designation for high-efficiency tungsten halogen lamps. HIR lamps
utilize shaped filament tubes coated with numerous layers of materials
that transmit light but reflect the heat (infrared) back into the
filament. This reduces the power needed to keep the filament hot.

A car bounces around a lot, but when I put halogen headlights in my
car, the headlights kept breaking, after my driving for 30 years and
never having to replace a headlight. Will I be stuck with this when I
finally by a 2000+ car?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/26/2011 12:52 PM, mm wrote:
On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 15:04:31 +0000 (UTC), Red Green
wrote:

wrote in
:

On Mar 21, 8:48 pm, wrote:
wrote
-se
ptember.org:

[...]

just stick with your old car that uses sealed beams, and get some Cibie
reflectors that use H4 bulbs. Best. Headlights. Evar.

If you really want to impress the neighbors, wire 'em up with a relay
harness to get a full 14V to the back of each bulb.

The nice thing about E-codes like the Cibies is that they put out an
amazing amount of light but do not dazzle oncoming traffic on low beam
due to the sharp horizontal cutoff. On high beam, they WILL blind other
drivers, even with "legal" 55/60W bulbs...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/26/2011 12:52 PM, mm wrote:
On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 15:04:31 +0000 (UTC), Red Green
wrote:

wrote in
:

On Mar 21, 8:48 pm, wrote:
wrote
-se
ptember.org:

[...]

Is it a halogen bulb that goes into a reflector or is it a sealed beam
halogen? I know Sylvania had some bad bulbs and when I called customer
service they sent me 2 new sealed beam halogen lights. Actually the day
before I had contacted them from their website but was impatient and
called the next day, so they sent me a total of 4 new sealed beams.
That was about 10 years ago and I still have 2 or 3 of the new ones.

Goo-Gone substitute(s) Jeff The Drunk[_5_] Home Repair 45 August 1st 10 02:43 AM
MOT substitute? ct UK diy 11 October 25th 09 10:49 PM
Constitutionality of light bulb ban questioned - Environmental Protection Agency must be called for a broken bulb metspitzer Home Repair 199 July 3rd 08 04:49 AM
Pool light bulb any different than regular light bulb? Pond Scum Home Repair 2 September 3rd 07 03:33 AM
Bug Light Bulb---any bulb for outside use that are not yellow? Patty Amas Home Ownership 5 November 3rd 04 09:23 PM