Posted to alt.home.repair
jb jb is offline

Default Woodpecker problem

The last two years a woodpecker has started poking holes in my t-1-11
siding. I live in Indiana. This winter I think I spotted the nest in a
tree very close to his 'favorite' side of the house. I'm thinking he
been coming back to the same nest year over year. If that makes sense I
would like to destroy his home. Will that help me? If yes, when will be
the best time to destroy the nest? Is it now, before he arrives or later
this spring when he has returned? Thanks for your help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/13/2011 2:55 PM, jb wrote:
The last two years a woodpecker has started poking holes in my t-1-11
siding. I live in Indiana. This winter I think I spotted the nest in a
tree very close to his 'favorite' side of the house. I'm thinking he
been coming back to the same nest year over year. If that makes sense I
would like to destroy his home. Will that help me? If yes, when will be
the best time to destroy the nest?

When he is in it. :-)

Don

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article om,
jb wrote:

The last two years a woodpecker has started poking holes in my t-1-11
siding. I live in Indiana. This winter I think I spotted the nest in a
tree very close to his 'favorite' side of the house. I'm thinking he
been coming back to the same nest year over year. If that makes sense I
would like to destroy his home. Will that help me? If yes, when will be
the best time to destroy the nest? Is it now, before he arrives or later
this spring when he has returned? Thanks for your help.

This came up a while back and someone here opined that your woodpecker
is a canary in a coal mine, telling you that your siding is full of
bugs. If that's true your best course of action might be something other
than shooting the messenger.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/13/2011 4:29 PM, IGot2P wrote:
On 3/13/2011 2:55 PM, jb wrote:
The last two years a woodpecker has started poking holes in my t-1-11
siding. I live in Indiana. This winter I think I spotted the nest in a
tree very close to his 'favorite' side of the house. I'm thinking he
been coming back to the same nest year over year. If that makes sense I
would like to destroy his home. Will that help me? If yes, when will be
the best time to destroy the nest?

When he is in it. :-)

Don

I have that recurring problem as well. Heard one of them drilling one
day, and went out and hollered at it, and chased it from tree to tree.
It (or another one) didn't come back for several weeks.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/13/2011 4:57 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In sting.com,
wrote:

The last two years a woodpecker has started poking holes in my t-1-11
siding. I live in Indiana. This winter I think I spotted the nest in a
tree very close to his 'favorite' side of the house. I'm thinking he
been coming back to the same nest year over year. If that makes sense I
would like to destroy his home. Will that help me? If yes, when will be
the best time to destroy the nest? Is it now, before he arrives or later
this spring when he has returned? Thanks for your help.

This came up a while back and someone here opined that your woodpecker
is a canary in a coal mine, telling you that your siding is full of
bugs. If that's true your best course of action might be something other
than shooting the messenger.

Nah, sometimes they just THINK there are bugs in there. I have that
horrible OSB-core fake T1-11, and the hollow stripes where there is a
void in the laminations, sound just like a bug tunnel to the
woodpeckers. I have stripes of woodpecker bullet holes in several spots
around the house, where they followed the hollow sound. Really need to
caulk the holes and daub some paint over them one of these days. Short
of new siding (which would not pay back at resale), anybody know a cure
for that syndrome?

And yes, my siding passes the ice-pick test near the rows of holes.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jb" wrote in message
ng.com...
The last two years a woodpecker has started poking holes in my t-1-11 siding.
I live in Indiana. This winter I think I spotted the nest in a tree very close
to his 'favorite' side of the house. I'm thinking he been coming back to the
same nest year over year. If that makes sense I would like to destroy his
home. Will that help me? If yes, when will be the best time to destroy the
nest? Is it now, before he arrives or later this spring when he has returned?
Thanks for your help.

Chances are he's trying to make a hole for a nest. He's probably not the same
one as you see nesting. Destroy that nest, and you'll have another punching
holes in your house.

I tacked a chunk of sheet metal over the place one was trying that on my house.
He quickly went elsewhere.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/13/2011 5:23 PM, Bob F wrote:
wrote in message
ng.com...
The last two years a woodpecker has started poking holes in my t-1-11 siding.
I live in Indiana. This winter I think I spotted the nest in a tree very close
to his 'favorite' side of the house. I'm thinking he been coming back to the
same nest year over year. If that makes sense I would like to destroy his
home. Will that help me? If yes, when will be the best time to destroy the
nest? Is it now, before he arrives or later this spring when he has returned?
Thanks for your help.

Chances are he's trying to make a hole for a nest. He's probably not the same
one as you see nesting. Destroy that nest, and you'll have another punching
holes in your house.

I tacked a chunk of sheet metal over the place one was trying that on my house.
He quickly went elsewhere.

The male woodpecker builds the nest? I thought he only repaired the
home. :-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

jb wrote in news:4d7d2141$0$10191
:

The last two years a woodpecker has started poking holes in my t-1-11
siding. I live in Indiana. This winter I think I spotted the nest in a
tree very close to his 'favorite' side of the house. I'm thinking he
been coming back to the same nest year over year. If that makes sense I
would like to destroy his home. Will that help me? If yes, when will be
the best time to destroy the nest? Is it now, before he arrives or later
this spring when he has returned? Thanks for your help.

Woodpeckers are just like teenage boys who like to drive around slowly with
the radio on loudly and the bass on high. They think it attracts the
opposite sex, just like the male woodpeckers attract mates by drumming on
something that makes the loudest noise. Maybe a mobile of old CD's will
flash enough light around to scare them off. The woodpeckers, the teeners,
you're on your own.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/13/2011 7:28 PM, Han wrote:
[...]

In The UK, shops have been playing classical music for years to drive
loitering teens away until a new high frequency noise generator
technology was developed that only youngsters and not adults are
bothered by because adults can't hear it.

Teen away - Teenager repelling software

http://www.neuroinnovations.com/teen_away.html

http://www.guy-sports.com/months/jokes_repel_teens.htm

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/13/2011 7:28 PM, Han wrote:
[...]

ugh... I would hate that... my hearing is pretty bad, honestly, but I
can still hear high frequency noises like the whine from a flyback
xformer in an old CRT... (a CRT with no signal going to it will drive
me absolutely ape**** until I find it and turn it off)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The last two years a woodpecker has started poking holes in my t-1-11
siding. I live in Indiana. This winter I think I spotted the nest in a
tree very close to his 'favorite' side of the house. I'm thinking he
been coming back to the same nest year over year. If that makes sense I
would like to destroy his home. Will that help me? If yes, when will be
the best time to destroy the nest? Is it now, before he arrives or later
this spring when he has returned? Thanks for your help.

This came up a while back and someone here opined that your woodpecker
is a canary in a coal mine, telling you that your siding is full of
bugs. If that's true your best course of action might be something other
than shooting the messenger.

I'm not sure if it's true for all woodpeckers, but at least some of them
make the holes to invite bugs then come back for them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/13/2011 8:00 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 3/13/2011 7:28 PM, Han wrote:
[...]

I can hear them too but since I replaced all my monitors with wide
screen LCD's I haven't thought of it. I have a pair of Nokia 21"
CRT monitors that have a .22 dot pitch which makes pictures look
like 35mm projections. I love the picture but the damn things are
huge and weigh as much as a fat girl. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 15:55:45 -0400, jb wrote:

The last two years a woodpecker has started poking holes in my t-1-11
siding. I live in Indiana. This winter I think I spotted the nest in a
tree very close to his 'favorite' side of the house. I'm thinking he
been coming back to the same nest year over year. If that makes sense I
would like to destroy his home. Will that help me? If yes, when will be
the best time to destroy the nest? Is it now, before he arrives or later
this spring when he has returned? Thanks for your help.

had exactly the same problem. a few days of chasing him away when i
heard him seemed to do the trick.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 13:57:30 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article om,
jb wrote:

The last two years a woodpecker has started poking holes in my t-1-11
siding. I live in Indiana. This winter I think I spotted the nest in a
tree very close to his 'favorite' side of the house. I'm thinking he
been coming back to the same nest year over year. If that makes sense I
would like to destroy his home. Will that help me? If yes, when will be
the best time to destroy the nest? Is it now, before he arrives or later
this spring when he has returned? Thanks for your help.

This came up a while back and someone here opined that your woodpecker
is a canary in a coal mine, telling you that your siding is full of
bugs. If that's true your best course of action might be something other
than shooting the messenger.

carpenter bees on occasion. nothing serious.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 13, 7:12*pm, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 18:27:47 -0500, The Daring Dufas

wrote:
On 3/13/2011 5:23 PM, Bob F wrote:
*wrote in message
ting.com...
[...]

I've seen woodpeckers drumming on metal street lights, creosote
telephone poles and other odd things. Funny creatures.

In the south they bore the nest in pine trees, up high enough to
prevent snakes taking the eggs. In hurricanes the trees snap off right
at the nest. One of those nature things.- Hide quoted text -

I had one that drummed on the aluminum plate that formed the base of
the top of my chimney (the cap). The noise went straight down the
chimney into our family room and was loud enough to make you jump out
of your chair. I sprayed some automobile undercoating stuff all over
the flat area (which was about 18" square minus the 6" diameter actual
chumney flue) and the woodpecker was gone for that year. The
following year one of them started pecking on my cedar shingle
siding. Filled the holes with caulk and painted, that solved the
problem for that year. Another bird started on the house in a
different place the following year, again filled the holes and painted
and had peace and quiet now for at leat 8 years, and no sign of bugs
of any kind.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 18:27:47 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 3/13/2011 5:23 PM, Bob F wrote:
wrote in message
ng.com...
[...]

I have a friend who last year had a flicker drill a nest just over a foot from
the top of a telephone pole on the edge of her yard. That was also the first
house I used metal to stop nest building that had gotten too far along. Watching
the nesting activity in the pole was interesting.

Woodpeckers do love resonant things to peck. The louder it is, the better, it
seems.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

The last two years a woodpecker has started poking holes in my t-1-11
siding. I live in Indiana. This winter I think I spotted the nest in a
tree very close to his 'favorite' side of the house. I'm thinking he
been coming back to the same nest year over year. If that makes sense I
would like to destroy his home. Will that help me? If yes, when will be
the best time to destroy the nest? Is it now, before he arrives or later
this spring when he has returned? Thanks for your help.

This came up a while back and someone here opined that your woodpecker
is a canary in a coal mine, telling you that your siding is full of
bugs. If that's true your best course of action might be something other
than shooting the messenger.

I'm not sure if it's true for all woodpeckers, but at least some of them
make the holes to invite bugs then come back for them.

Dang, that's clever. I've heard that birds aren't really bird-brains.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

The last two years a woodpecker has started poking holes in my t-1-11
siding. I live in Indiana. This winter I think I spotted the nest in a
tree very close to his 'favorite' side of the house. I'm thinking he
been coming back to the same nest year over year. If that makes sense I
would like to destroy his home. Will that help me? If yes, when will be
the best time to destroy the nest? Is it now, before he arrives or later
this spring when he has returned? Thanks for your help.

This came up a while back and someone here opined that your woodpecker
is a canary in a coal mine, telling you that your siding is full of
bugs. If that's true your best course of action might be something other
than shooting the messenger.

Nah, sometimes they just THINK there are bugs in there. I have that
horrible OSB-core fake T1-11, and the hollow stripes where there is a

Fake T1-11!? I thought T1-11 was fake wood.

That would make your stuff fake fake wood.

void in the laminations, sound just like a bug tunnel to the
woodpeckers. I have stripes of woodpecker bullet holes in several spots
around the house, where they followed the hollow sound. Really need to
caulk the holes and daub some paint over them one of these days. Short
of new siding (which would not pay back at resale), anybody know a cure
for that syndrome?

And yes, my siding passes the ice-pick test near the rows of holes.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 18:27:47 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 3/13/2011 5:23 PM, Bob F wrote:
wrote in message
ng.com...
[...]

No, another one does that. He only pays for it.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 14 Mar 2011 00:28:51 GMT, Han wrote:

[...]

Maybe playing classical music would get rid of them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/13/2011 11:31 PM, mm wrote:
On 14 Mar 2011 00:28:51 GMT, wrote:

[...]

Tchaikovsky "The 1812 Overture"? ^_^

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xob...ure-1812_music

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

In message , mm
writes

wrote:

[...]

Some make a 'larder' by first making holes, then hammering nuts and
acorns in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJrrzwvYgy8
--
Ian
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 09:23:05 +0000, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , mm
writes

wrote:

[...]

I rarely watch video but I watched it. Pretty good. If I were an
arctic fox, I'd eat everything before the first snow.

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

"jb" wrote in message
ng.com...
The last two years a woodpecker has started poking holes in my t-1-11
siding. I live in Indiana. This winter I think I spotted the nest in a
tree very close to his 'favorite' side of the house. I'm thinking he been
coming back to the same nest year over year. If that makes sense I would
like to destroy his home. Will that help me? If yes, when will be the best
time to destroy the nest? Is it now, before he arrives or later this
spring when he has returned? Thanks for your help.

Had one this fall---he always came back to the same spot. Finally got rid
of him by spraying his favorite area with wasp & hornet insecticide. I
don't think it matters what you use, but obviously he didn't like what I did
because he never came back.
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Wouldn't fake T1-11 be, errrr.... wood? :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/15/2011 10:14 AM, Red Green wrote:
wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

REAL T1-11, that I helped hang acres of when I was young and strong, is
5/8 plywood with a thin kerf cut every however many inches, to resemble
reverse-board-and-batten siding. Good stuff, and properly hung and
stained/painted, can last decades. The crap I have is basically 7/16 (at
most) OSB with a thin faux-textured surface layer of something. The
kerfs expose voids in the underlying OSB plies.

Shame on me for not looking at it closer when I bought the house. It
never occurred to me somebody would make a cheaper version of the
cheapest wood siding that existed when I was growing up.

--
aem sends...

woodpecker damage bpuharic Home Repair 40 October 24th 10 08:49 PM
Yup - woodpecker Srgnt Billko Home Repair 11 April 17th 07 09:03 PM
Woodpecker lift any good? Toller Woodworking 8 July 26th 06 04:11 PM
Woodpecker plate stoutman Woodworking 9 March 19th 05 12:43 AM
Woodpecker vs Cuckoo What are my options 1_Patriotic_Guy Home Repair 13 October 14th 04 04:03 PM