Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What happens with an incorrectly wired GFCI

Just a li'l anecdote for those who've always wondered what happens if
you wire a GFCI to protect "downstream" outlets wrong (all 2 of
you)--that is, if you mix up the "line" and "load" wires.

The answer? Nothing.

Installed a GFCI in a client's kitchen, thinking I'd need two, one for
each outlet on a sink counter. It became clear, though, that they were
in a chain, so I could protect both with just one GFCI. So I wired in
the GFCI, wiring the downstream outlet on the "load" side, ass-u-ming
that the position of the cables in the box indicated the upstream and
downstream wiring respectively.

Wrong.

When I turned on the power, the GFCI's LED lit, but I couldn't reset the
outlet, and both outlets were dead.

Whoops.

So I swapped the two sets of wires, repowered it, reset the GFCI and
bingo! everything worked fine.

The moral of the story is, you won't damage a GFCI by making this
mistake (but you'd better correct it if you want the devices to work
correctly).

--
The phrase "jump the shark" itself jumped the shark about a decade ago.

- Usenet
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 13:52:58 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

Just a li'l anecdote for those who've always wondered what happens if
you wire a GFCI to protect "downstream" outlets wrong (all 2 of
you)--that is, if you mix up the "line" and "load" wires.

The answer? Nothing.

Installed a GFCI in a client's kitchen, thinking I'd need two, one for
each outlet on a sink counter. It became clear, though, that they were
in a chain, so I could protect both with just one GFCI. So I wired in
the GFCI, wiring the downstream outlet on the "load" side, ass-u-ming
that the position of the cables in the box indicated the upstream and
downstream wiring respectively.

Wrong.

When I turned on the power, the GFCI's LED lit, but I couldn't reset the
outlet, and both outlets were dead.

Strange, when I made the same mistake the outlets worked normally but wouldn't
trip on a "downstream" fault. The differential current sensing was on the
wrong side of the device, so didn't detect the fault. I can't see how they'd
fail the way you suggest.

Whoops.

So I swapped the two sets of wires, repowered it, reset the GFCI and
bingo! everything worked fine.

The moral of the story is, you won't damage a GFCI by making this
mistake (but you'd better correct it if you want the devices to work
correctly).

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , zzzzzzzzzz ) writes:
| On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 13:52:58 -0800, David Nebenzahl
| wrote:
|
| Just a li'l anecdote for those who've always wondered what happens if
| you wire a GFCI to protect "downstream" outlets wrong (all 2 of
| you)--that is, if you mix up the "line" and "load" wires.
|
| The answer? Nothing.
|
| Installed a GFCI in a client's kitchen, thinking I'd need two, one for
| each outlet on a sink counter. It became clear, though, that they were
| in a chain, so I could protect both with just one GFCI. So I wired in
| the GFCI, wiring the downstream outlet on the "load" side, ass-u-ming
| that the position of the cables in the box indicated the upstream and
| downstream wiring respectively.
|
| Wrong.
|
| When I turned on the power, the GFCI's LED lit, but I couldn't reset the
| outlet, and both outlets were dead.
|
| Strange, when I made the same mistake the outlets worked normally but wouldn't
| trip on a "downstream" fault. The differential current sensing was on the
| wrong side of the device, so didn't detect the fault. I can't see how they'd
| fail the way you suggest.

Newer GFCIs are specifically designed to be idiot-proof in this respect.
They aren't failing; they are just helping you. Although older GFCIs
would not be damaged by the incorrect wiring, they wouldn't be able to
shut off the power to the local outlet even if they trip.

Dan Lanciani
ddl@danlan.*com
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan Lanciani wrote:
In , zzzzzzzzzz ) writes:
| On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 13:52:58 -0800, David
| wrote:
|
|Just a li'l anecdote for those who've always wondered what happens if
|you wire a GFCI to protect "downstream" outlets wrong (all 2 of
|you)--that is, if you mix up the "line" and "load" wires.
|
|The answer? Nothing.
|
|Installed a GFCI in a client's kitchen, thinking I'd need two, one for
|each outlet on a sink counter. It became clear, though, that they were
|in a chain, so I could protect both with just one GFCI. So I wired in
|the GFCI, wiring the downstream outlet on the "load" side, ass-u-ming
|that the position of the cables in the box indicated the upstream and
|downstream wiring respectively.
|
|Wrong.
|
|When I turned on the power, the GFCI's LED lit, but I couldn't reset the
|outlet, and both outlets were dead.
|
| Strange, when I made the same mistake the outlets worked normally but wouldn't
| trip on a "downstream" fault. The differential current sensing was on the
| wrong side of the device, so didn't detect the fault. I can't see how they'd
| fail the way you suggest.

Newer GFCIs are specifically designed to be idiot-proof in this respect.
They aren't failing; they are just helping you. Although older GFCIs
would not be damaged by the incorrect wiring, they wouldn't be able to
shut off the power to the local outlet even if they trip.

Dan Lanciani
ddl@danlan.*com

Hi,
Does that mean OP was an idiot?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/12/2011 3:36 PM Tony Hwang spake thus:

Dan Lanciani wrote:

wrote:

[...]

No, it means I *made a mistake* and was "helped" by the GFCI not being
damaged by it.

Are you an idiot? Sometimes you sound like one ...

--
The phrase "jump the shark" itself jumped the shark about a decade ago.

- Usenet

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 16:36:36 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:

Dan Lanciani wrote:
In , zzzzzzzzzz ) writes:
| On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 13:52:58 -0800, David
| wrote:
|
|Just a li'l anecdote for those who've always wondered what happens if
|you wire a GFCI to protect "downstream" outlets wrong (all 2 of
|you)--that is, if you mix up the "line" and "load" wires.
|
|The answer? Nothing.
|
|Installed a GFCI in a client's kitchen, thinking I'd need two, one for
|each outlet on a sink counter. It became clear, though, that they were
|in a chain, so I could protect both with just one GFCI. So I wired in
|the GFCI, wiring the downstream outlet on the "load" side, ass-u-ming
|that the position of the cables in the box indicated the upstream and
|downstream wiring respectively.
|
|Wrong.
|
|When I turned on the power, the GFCI's LED lit, but I couldn't reset the
|outlet, and both outlets were dead.
|
| Strange, when I made the same mistake the outlets worked normally but wouldn't
| trip on a "downstream" fault. The differential current sensing was on the
| wrong side of the device, so didn't detect the fault. I can't see how they'd
| fail the way you suggest.

Newer GFCIs are specifically designed to be idiot-proof in this respect.
They aren't failing; they are just helping you. Although older GFCIs
would not be damaged by the incorrect wiring, they wouldn't be able to
shut off the power to the local outlet even if they trip.

But how does that work? How does the GFCI know which side is line and load?

Dan Lanciani
ddl@danlan.*com

Hi,
Does that mean OP was an idiot?

No, he got proofed immediately. I had to wait for an inspector (selling the
house) to get proofed. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

MR. NEBUCADNEZAR YOU ARE ODD AT THE LEAST.
MR HAUWG IS A PIG BUT ONLY A CARELESS IDIOT WOULD WIRE A GFCI
INCORRECTLY
I HAVE COLLECTED TENS SOULS OVER THE PAST FEW YEARS BECAUSE OF SUCH
MISTAKES.

PAT ECUM
Posted to alt.home.repair

zzzzzzzzzz ) writes:
| | On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 13:52:58 -0800, David
| | wrote:
| |
| |Just a li'l anecdote for those who've always wondered what happens if
| |you wire a GFCI to protect "downstream" outlets wrong (all 2 of
| |you)--that is, if you mix up the "line" and "load" wires.
| |
| |The answer? Nothing.
| |
| |Installed a GFCI in a client's kitchen, thinking I'd need two, one for
| |each outlet on a sink counter. It became clear, though, that they were
| |in a chain, so I could protect both with just one GFCI. So I wired in
| |the GFCI, wiring the downstream outlet on the "load" side, ass-u-ming
| |that the position of the cables in the box indicated the upstream and
| |downstream wiring respectively.
| |
| |Wrong.
| |
| |When I turned on the power, the GFCI's LED lit, but I couldn't reset the
| |outlet, and both outlets were dead.
| |
| | Strange, when I made the same mistake the outlets worked normally but wouldn't
| | trip on a "downstream" fault. The differential current sensing was on the
| | wrong side of the device, so didn't detect the fault. I can't see how they'd
| | fail the way you suggest.
|
| Newer GFCIs are specifically designed to be idiot-proof in this respect.
| They aren't failing; they are just helping you. Although older GFCIs
| would not be damaged by the incorrect wiring, they wouldn't be able to
| shut off the power to the local outlet even if they trip.
|
| But how does that work? How does the GFCI know which side is line and load?

I don't know if they all work the same way, but the ones I have looked at
are pretty simple. They start in the tripped state. The reset button is
no longer a simple mechanical device; it is interlocked such that the device
cannot be reset unless there is power on the line side. You can probably
defeat the protection by installing correctly (or on a bench), pushing reset,
installing incorrectly, and then never pushing the test button. But who
would do that?

Dan Lanciani
ddl@danlan.*com
Posted to alt.home.repair

zzzzzzzzzz ) writes:
| | On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 13:52:58 -0800, David
| | wrote:
| |
| |Just a li'l anecdote for those who've always wondered what happens if
| |you wire a GFCI to protect "downstream" outlets wrong (all 2 of
| |you)--that is, if you mix up the "line" and "load" wires.
| |
| |The answer? Nothing.
| |
| |Installed a GFCI in a client's kitchen, thinking I'd need two, one for
| |each outlet on a sink counter. It became clear, though, that they were
| |in a chain, so I could protect both with just one GFCI. So I wired in
| |the GFCI, wiring the downstream outlet on the "load" side, ass-u-ming
| |that the position of the cables in the box indicated the upstream and
| |downstream wiring respectively.
| |
| |Wrong.
| |
| |When I turned on the power, the GFCI's LED lit, but I couldn't reset the
| |outlet, and both outlets were dead.
| |
| | Strange, when I made the same mistake the outlets worked normally but wouldn't
| | trip on a "downstream" fault. The differential current sensing was on the
| | wrong side of the device, so didn't detect the fault. I can't see how they'd
| | fail the way you suggest.
|
| Newer GFCIs are specifically designed to be idiot-proof in this respect.
| They aren't failing; they are just helping you. Although older GFCIs
| would not be damaged by the incorrect wiring, they wouldn't be able to
| shut off the power to the local outlet even if they trip.
|
| But how does that work? How does the GFCI know which side is line and load?

I don't know if they all work the same way, but the ones I have looked at
are pretty simple. They start in the tripped state. The reset button is
no longer a simple mechanical device; it is interlocked such that the device
cannot be reset unless there is power on the line side. You can probably
defeat the protection by installing correctly (or on a bench), pushing reset,
installing incorrectly, and then never pushing the test button. But who
would do that?

Dan, did you see my post titled: "OT, Do You Know Anyone Like This"? ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

zzzzzzzzzz ) writes:
| | On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 13:52:58 -0800, David
| | wrote:
| |
| |Just a li'l anecdote for those who've always wondered what happens if
| |you wire a GFCI to protect "downstream" outlets wrong (all 2 of
| |you)--that is, if you mix up the "line" and "load" wires.
| |
| |The answer? Nothing.
| |
| |Installed a GFCI in a client's kitchen, thinking I'd need two, one for
| |each outlet on a sink counter. It became clear, though, that they were
| |in a chain, so I could protect both with just one GFCI. So I wired in
| |the GFCI, wiring the downstream outlet on the "load" side, ass-u-ming
| |that the position of the cables in the box indicated the upstream and
| |downstream wiring respectively.
| |
| |Wrong.
| |
| |When I turned on the power, the GFCI's LED lit, but I couldn't reset the
| |outlet, and both outlets were dead.
| |
| | Strange, when I made the same mistake the outlets worked normally but wouldn't
| | trip on a "downstream" fault. The differential current sensing was on the
| | wrong side of the device, so didn't detect the fault. I can't see how they'd
| | fail the way you suggest.
|
| Newer GFCIs are specifically designed to be idiot-proof in this respect.
| They aren't failing; they are just helping you. Although older GFCIs
| would not be damaged by the incorrect wiring, they wouldn't be able to
| shut off the power to the local outlet even if they trip.
|
| But how does that work? How does the GFCI know which side is line and load?

I don't know if they all work the same way, but the ones I have looked at
are pretty simple. They start in the tripped state. The reset button is
no longer a simple mechanical device; it is interlocked such that the device
cannot be reset unless there is power on the line side. You can probably
defeat the protection by installing correctly (or on a bench), pushing reset,
installing incorrectly, and then never pushing the test button. But who
would do that?

That works. Ingenious, even. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan Lanciani wrote:
In article , zzzzzzzzzz ) writes:
| On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 13:52:58 -0800, David Nebenzahl
| wrote:
|
| Just a li'l anecdote for those who've always wondered what happens if
| you wire a GFCI to protect "downstream" outlets wrong (all 2 of
| you)--that is, if you mix up the "line" and "load" wires.
|
| The answer? Nothing.
|
| Installed a GFCI in a client's kitchen, thinking I'd need two, one for
| each outlet on a sink counter. It became clear, though, that they were
| in a chain, so I could protect both with just one GFCI. So I wired in
| the GFCI, wiring the downstream outlet on the "load" side, ass-u-ming
| that the position of the cables in the box indicated the upstream and
| downstream wiring respectively.
|
| Wrong.
|
| When I turned on the power, the GFCI's LED lit, but I couldn't reset the
| outlet, and both outlets were dead.
|
| Strange, when I made the same mistake the outlets worked normally but wouldn't
| trip on a "downstream" fault. The differential current sensing was on the
| wrong side of the device, so didn't detect the fault. I can't see how they'd
| fail the way you suggest.

Newer GFCIs are specifically designed to be idiot-proof in this respect.
They aren't failing; they are just helping you. Although older GFCIs
would not be damaged by the incorrect wiring, they wouldn't be able to
shut off the power to the local outlet even if they trip.

Dan Lanciani
ddl@danlan.*com

I agree.

Older GFCIs had the load terminals connected to the receptacle. If
connected line-load reversed the receptacle was always powered and a
ground fault on the receptacle would not trip the GFCI. The test button
would trip the GFCI but the outlet was still hot. Anything connected
downstream would be protected as intended. Instructions are likely to
say to connect a lamp and push the test button - make sure the lamp goes
out.

A while ago the UL standards changed. Now if a GFCI trips, the
receptacle is not connected to the line or load terminals. The internal
electronics are probably connected to the receptacle. If these GFCI
receptacles are "set" and installed with line-load reversed they
shouldn't detect a ground fault on the receptacle. Downstream protects
as intended. If you push the test button the GFCI trips and can not be
reset. They are intentionally shipped in the tripped condition, so if a
new GFCI is installed line-load reversed it can not be reset.

--
bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the info. I had a GFCI that worked but the reset was popped out and wouldn't stay in. The three sockets downstream didn't work. Sure enough to the load and line were switched. I switched them back and everything works! Glad it was such a simple fix.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to krw, Dante wrote:
Fried my inverter wiring the line into the load

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ci-625128-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 02 May 2018 01:44:03 GMT, Dante
m wrote:

replying to krw, Dante wrote:
Fried my inverter wiring the line into the load

How did you have it wired to do that?
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

replying to krw, Dante wrote:
Fried my inverter wiring the line into the load

How did you have it wired to do that?

Humans are very resourceful. If there is a way to break something, a human can discover how. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Amused Monster