Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Spackling Over Styrofoam Plugs after Insulation Blow-in

A friend has a brick house and had insulation blown into the wallspace
through the inside walls. He describes the plugs used as "foam" which
I assume means styrofoam. He then proceeded to use lightweight spackle
prior to painting. After the spackle dried he noticed that the spackle
had turned slightly brown in color, necessitating the use of a stain
blocker.
Although I didn't ask I assumed this had to be an oil based
spackle as water based would not have caused this, but isn't most
spackle water-based?
What do you think happened?
Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 22, 12:33*am, frank1492 wrote:

A friend has a brick house and had insulation blown into the wallspace
through the inside walls. He describes the plugs used as "foam" which
I assume means styrofoam. He then proceeded to use lightweight spackle
prior to painting. After the spackle dried he noticed that the spackle
had turned slightly brown in color, necessitating the use of a stain
blocker.
* * * Although I didn't ask I assumed this had to be an oil based
spackle as water based would not have caused this, but isn't most
spackle water-based?
* * * What do you think happened?

Water-based is not the same as water - there's stuff in there, and
some of it must have reacted with the polystyrene and bled through.
He should bring it up with the insulation contractor. It's necessary
feedback for them whether or not they did something wrong.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote in message
[...]

Did he try just painting it FIRST or did he just assume it needed stain
blocker ?? I have fixed MANY walls after insulation blow in and I've yet to
see foam plugs so I'm curious as well...I have always used "butterfly
patches" to fix them...A "butterfly patch is a piece of sheetrock that you
cut a couple of inches bigger then the hole all around or atleast 2 sides to
start , then score the BACK of the plug the size of the hole and CAREFULLY
remove the sheetrock while leaving the face paper intact.You should end up
with a piece of sheetrock with face paper all around it or atleast 2 sides
which gives it it's butterfly look..Mud around the hole getting some into
the edges of the hole , insert plug and wipe the paper smooth...Let dry and
coat as you would any patch..It is also sometimes referred to as a
"California Patch"...Works great for patching discontinued outlet boxes or
other small holes with no nailer as well...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 22, 2:10*am, "benick" wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message

[...]

I think the insulation contractor is trying to help out the homeowner
or contractor and give them a leg up. You'd still have to tape the
thing, and, like you said, the butterfly patch is almost as quick and
you wouldn't have bleed-through problems (though I never heard of that
with foam).

There are also those squares of sheet metal with a larger square of
self-adhesive fiberglass mesh over it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvtoikKG318
Notice the "pro" doing it with his 2" plastic putty knife. I guess
that comes in the package. The hole repair patch itself, and others
like it, work fine, but the prices are all over the price. Some are
like $6-7 per, but you can get others for less than $2/ea. If you use
something like EZ-Sand setting type compound, that's about as fast as
it gets. One guy could patch a whole house of blown insulation holes,
ready for painting, in a day.

I think you'll get a kick out of this video of a competing product.
Could they make it any more complicated or any crappier of a repair?
Someone should have told the inventor/marketer, "Hey, that's just
stupid."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhVGOTK0NlI
Joint tape? Joint tape?! We don't need no steekin' joint tape!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 22:45:01 -0800 (PST), RicodJour
wrote:

[...]

R, I've been trying to send you an email. For a couple days it says
delivery not completed and then it says delivery failed. Twice.
Could you post, or email me, your email address, or fix the one you
give here. If you email, remove NOPSAM from my email address.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Hey. It's not broken - Some years back World Email decided to cancel,
of all things, _email_! So I have an invalid valid email address from
an email provider who stopped providing email. I love it!

What's up?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:
[...]

Yet not so invalid that worldemail knows enough to tell my server
right away.

It took four days of trying before mine gave up and said
undeliverable!

What's up?

I wanted to send you an email copy of my answer to an old post of
yours. I figure it's likely you haven't seen it. I can't even find
the thread myself without a lot of hunting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 22, 1:00*pm, mm wrote:
On Tue, 22 Feb 2011, RicodJour wrote:
On Feb 22, 3:19 am, mm wrote:

I've been trying to send you an email. For a couple days it says
delivery not completed and then it says delivery failed. Twice.
Could you post, or email me, your email address, or fix the one you
give here. If you email, remove NOPSAM from my email address.

Hey. *It's not broken - Some years back World Email decided to cancel,
of all things, _email_! *So I have an invalid valid email address from
an email provider who stopped providing email. *I love it!

Yet not so invalid that worldemail knows enough to tell my server
right away.

It took four days of trying before mine gave up and said
undeliverable!

I get no notification, and have no idea if anyone's ever tried to
email me before. No one's ever brought it up as an issue.

What's up?

I wanted to send you an email copy of my answer to an old post of
yours. *I figure it's likely you haven't seen it. *I can't even find
the thread myself without a lot of hunting. *

Okay. Try this one:

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Feb 22, 2:10 am, "benick" wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message

[...]

Yea I've seen those.I did notice his patch could have used another coat of
mud though..LOL....To pricey and I can do the patches just as fast with zero
cost for the scrap rock..As you know I use Durabond for ALL my first coats
on everything and Easysand for coating...I hate showing up for work the next
day and find things are still wet thus losing a day....Those products are
great for the DIYer though....I have never heard of foam bleeding thru
either but then again I have never seen foam plugs which is why I hope he
posts back with answers....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 22, 3:19*pm, "benick" wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message

[...]

I remember the first time I used Durabond. It really was one of those
god-I've-been-wasting-a-lot-of-time moments.

The only thing I can think of for the foam plugs is that the
insulation contractor had them for exteriors - EIFs type of thing.

In that last link video I still can't get over a company instructing
someone to patch a wall with their product and not tape the seams.
You're selling them a damn kit - sell them some mesh tape at a 1000%
markup! At least it won't crack.