Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Steel roof/dow styrofoam insulation

I was planning in the not so near future to put a new roof on the ol'
doublewide. I was thinking of stripping the shingles, putting down an
inch or two of Styrofoam with steel roofing on top.

Dow tells me:
STYROFOAM (TM) Extruded Polystyrene Insulation has a maximum use
temperature of 165 F.
Please assure that adequate ventilation is created between the
insulation layer and the metal roofing so that the temperature will not
exceed 165 F.

Also I've had some ants that like to nest inside a foam insulated steel
door, leaving the insulation outside on the ground. They said: "Design
your new roof in such away that the insulation is encapsulated in metal
or treated lumber that will deter ants."

I don't like the idea of not being able to walk on the new roof. And I
have no idea how to ant proof an entire roof area. Ideas?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 29, 12:52*am, Tony wrote:
[...]

What are you doing about the ants in the fiberglass insulation in your
walls, so you get a few ants in the foam, thats life.
Posted to alt.home.repair

polyiso is better than Styrofoam, especially for roofs. It can be
had in many different thicknesses. Most commercial installations
have the iso bonded to plywood that is the substrate under the
metal roof and the roof is quite walkable.

Here are some sites for more information:
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...14b87ebbb573e6

--
DanG

"Tony" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Jul 29, 12:52 am, Tony wrote:
[...]

Evidently you never saw ants like I had. Maybe you will be lucky and
never see them.