Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roots

Our townhouse association has 30 year old ficus trees in each front
yard. They have been trimmed/shaved annually, to maintain a shape
like a wheel of cheese. They actually look quite nice, plus, they
provide a privacy shield from the street, a large measure of shade
from the burning desert sun (warmest, driest place in the US), and
they're habitat for a variety of birds. All good.

Our sister association just removed their ficus trees, citing a
handful of sewer and foundation problems. Even as our division is
about 5 years older, we've only had one incident, a garage floor which
was lifted. We're trying to shrug this off, because these mature
trees are well worth the maintenance expense... so far. Today, I saw
another previously unreported garage floor which is quite distorted
from ficus roots. Ruh roh.

Trouble is coming, no doubt. Removing them would have a huge impact,
so I'm a wishin' and a hopin' there is a way around that.

1. Is it possible to cut the creeping lateral roots, say, beyond the
drip line (stalling the problem for years to come) without killing the
trees?

2. If we have to remove them, we have to replace them with
something. Is there an ideal tree, which will grow up fast, be
reasonable to maintain, but not repeat the root invasion process?

Some of you with desert life experience are probably familiar with
this love/hate relationship with ficus trees, and have this figured
out. No?

TIA for any ideas.

Unc

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 23:20:32 -0800 (PST), uncle K
wrote:

[...]

Just how big are these Ficus trees?

What desert do you live in?

If it comes to cutting roots back that prevents damage - do it.

Looking at a clock face, cut them from 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock or so
in the other clock face directions. Called root pruning and a ficus
can some take some abuse.

How big are they?
Posted to alt.home.repair

uncle K wrote:
[...]

The basic rule for pruing plants (above ground) is to remove no more than
1/3 of the folage a year. I presume, though I do not know, that the same
holds true for roots.

That said, a ditch-witch could prune the roots in the direction of harm
quite easily.

Posted to alt.home.repair

uncle K wrote in news:cd0cf439-9db1-4181-9e0f-
:

[...]

association - ughhh!

What are you going to do go to the assoc, tell them here's what to do, I
read it on the Internet?

Assoc has to hire someone who has provisions for being sued if/when
things don't work out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Just how big are these Ficus trees?

They've been maintained to about a 25-30' diameter, about 25' tall.
The trunks are about 1 1/2' diameter.

What desert do you live in?

Yuma

If it comes to cutting roots back that prevents damage - do it.

Looking at a clock face, cut them from 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock or so
in the other clock face directions. *Called root pruning and a ficus
can some take some abuse.

The do seem to be weeds, and they do take plenty of abuse, yet they
are green and healthy looking.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The basic rule for pruing plants (above ground) is to remove no more than
1/3 of the folage a year. I presume, though I do not know, that the same
holds true for roots.

That said, a ditch-witch could prune the roots in the direction of harm
quite easily.

I've seen ditch-witches in action. As long as they know where the
sprinkler lines are, that would be much more practical than men with
shovels and saws.
Posted to alt.home.repair

association - ughhh!

Yes, not my favorite subject, but that can't be helped and life goes
on.

What are you going to do go to the assoc, tell them here's what to do, I
read it on the Internet?

No, I don't think so. I'm familiar with PNW trees. The desert is a
different world, and I'm trying to learn something here, instead of
guessing.

Assoc has to hire someone who has provisions for being sued if/when
things don't work out.

We have some inexpensive Jacks of all trades for small jobs, but long
ago, learned that licensed and bonded contractors are needed for
anything on this scale.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/20/2011 7:32 AM, HeyBub wrote:
uncle K wrote:
[...]

A ditch witch would be my plan... that is if I were growing trees in a
desert. ???

Posted to alt.home.repair

We'll have to fly to Africa, and ask Kunta Kinte what the
oral tradition calls for. (Anyone remember the mini series
from the 1970s?)

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"uncle K" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:ijtoa9
:

We'll have to fly to Africa, and ask Kunta Kinte what the
oral tradition calls for. (Anyone remember the mini series
from the 1970s?)

Geordi's great great great great great great great great great great great
great great great great great Grandpappy.

[cya statement: may be off a couple of "great"s]

Posted to alt.home.repair

And, also Obammy's great uncle?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Red Green" wrote in message
"Stormin Mormon" wrote
in news:ijtoa9
:

We'll have to fly to Africa, and ask Kunta Kinte what the
oral tradition calls for. (Anyone remember the mini series
from the 1970s?)

Geordi's great great great great great great great great
great great great
great great great great great Grandpappy.

[cya statement: may be off a couple of "great"s]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 09:42:57 -0800 (PST), uncle K
wrote:

Just how big are these Ficus trees?

They've been maintained to about a 25-30' diameter, about 25' tall.
The trunks are about 1 1/2' diameter.

What desert do you live in?

Yuma

If it comes to cutting roots back that prevents damage - do it.

Looking at a clock face, cut them from 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock or so
in the other clock face directions. *Called root pruning and a ficus
can some take some abuse.

The do seem to be weeds, and they do take plenty of abuse, yet they
are green and healthy looking.

When you say Ficus tree I automatically think of indoor/patio tropical
plants.

I believe they are cousins of giant rubber trees (chewing gun/rubber
tire sap) and a strangler fig.

This will show the root structure for an idea of your ficus.

http://www.coralsprings.org/history/images/TreeAgainstMuseum.jpg

http://mgonline.com/media/Images/f/ficusbenjamina01.jpg

(for the last pic a ditch witch would not be like fighting a tortilla)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Cut the roots -- with that much to do, use a ditch witch, as
suggested. Find out how deep the horizontal roots go -- the tree may
have deep roots (I'm not familiar with Ficus roots), but probably the
spreading roots are near the surface.

Then put in a blocker. Vinyl flashing might be adequate; you can get
24" wide for about $1.20/ft at HD, probably less in bulk. Or use the
narrowest ditcher you can, and fill the trench with concrete, but I'm
sure that'll cost a lot more than flashing.

This page

http://www.gardenguides.com/109073-r...cus-roots.html

sort of implies that Ficus roots are shallow, maybe even only 12"
deep. I also found comments somewhere that Ficus produces shallow
roots in AZ because of lawn watering that leaves the surface damp with
no water below, implying that avoiding lawns and using only drip
watering if it's necessary at all might reduce the root problems.

I found a long and very interesting thread about Ficus in AZ at

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...571812302.html

That thread is five years old but I'll bet a lot of the same posters
are still around.

As to whether it's a water waster, I found differing opinions on how
much water Ficus uses. In any case, one has to balance the water use
with how much it lowers the cost of cooling buildings. Of course in
southern AZ one can use swamp coolers.

I have some great recommendations for shade trees ... for Florida. The
ones I like won't grow in AZ.

Edward

Roots in or out? Stormin Mormon Home Repair 7 April 19th 09 11:56 PM
Roots under house? ? ? Ray Home Repair 14 June 23rd 08 04:10 AM
Help! Well has roots Vic Dura Home Repair 16 March 6th 07 09:43 PM
Tree roots ~~Phil~~ Home Repair 2 August 29th 05 07:46 PM
Drains and roots Tony Collins UK diy 7 December 23rd 04 03:14 PM