Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roots in or out?

I'm digging in the front yard. The park management wants me
to move the little two wheel trailer from the side yard to
the driveway. This means expanding the driveway the size of
one space.

Problem is, the space is near a tree, and there are a lot of
roots. Should I take the roots out with axe and sawzall
(some up to 4 inch diameter). Or leave the roots in, and let
the gravel settle around the roots?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

It depends on how many roots and how close to the tree. Don't laugh
but I cut some tree roots to put in a sidewalk. The sidewalk was
about three or four feet from the trunk of the tree. About five years
later the damn tree had fallen over and was leaning against my deck
railing. It fell away from where the roots were cut. My tree was
about eight to ten inches in dia. Good luck.

G.S.

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 21:49:37 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I'm digging in the front yard. The park management wants me
to move the little two wheel trailer from the side yard to
the driveway. This means expanding the driveway the size of
one space.

Problem is, the space is near a tree, and there are a lot of
roots. Should I take the roots out with axe and sawzall
(some up to 4 inch diameter). Or leave the roots in, and let
the gravel settle around the roots?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'm digging in the front yard. The park management wants me
to move the little two wheel trailer from the side yard to
the driveway. This means expanding the driveway the size of
one space.

Problem is, the space is near a tree, and there are a lot of
roots. Should I take the roots out with axe and sawzall
(some up to 4 inch diameter). Or leave the roots in, and let
the gravel settle around the roots?

If the only thing that will ever be there is the trailer, and it isn't
heavily loaded, I'd let the roots be. Too much risk of killing the tree,
otherwise. Since you said 'park', I'm assuming it is their tree, not
yours. No overflow parking out back somewhere where you can leave the
trailer when not in use? (With a suitable lock on the hitch, of course...)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Gordon Shumway wrote:
"Stormin wrote:
Problem is, the space is near a tree, and there are a lot of
roots. Should I take the roots out with axe and sawzall
(some up to 4 inch diameter). Or leave the roots in, and let
the gravel settle around the roots?

It depends on how many roots and how close to the tree.

And what kind of tree. I cut 6-8 inch roots off one side of a
100yr old swamp maple with no ill effects. I wouldn't try it with
an oak or pine tree in my part of the world.

Ask a local arborist- or try your local extension office.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

My 2 cants. If it is a pine tree don't cut them. We did and two years
later in a big straight line wind storm the tree just flipped up with the
root ball displayed it the air.
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I'm digging in the front yard. The park management wants me
to move the little two wheel trailer from the side yard to
the driveway. This means expanding the driveway the size of
one space.

Problem is, the space is near a tree, and there are a lot of
roots. Should I take the roots out with axe and sawzall
(some up to 4 inch diameter). Or leave the roots in, and let
the gravel settle around the roots?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's sobering thought. "away" is my neighbor on the other
side. I don't much like him, anyway.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

I'm digging in the front yard. The park management wants me
to move the little two wheel trailer from the side yard to
the driveway. This means expanding the driveway the size of
one space.

Problem is, the space is near a tree, and there are a lot
of
roots. Should I take the roots out with axe and sawzall
(some up to 4 inch diameter). Or leave the roots in, and
let
the gravel settle around the roots?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't know if the park has a back lot, but it's a good
idea. I'm going to call, tomorrow, and see what the park
says about the roots. They might know.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"aemeijers" wrote in message

If the only thing that will ever be there is the trailer,
and it isn't
heavily loaded, I'd let the roots be. Too much risk of
killing the tree,
otherwise. Since you said 'park', I'm assuming it is their
tree, not
yours. No overflow parking out back somewhere where you can
leave the
trailer when not in use? (With a suitable lock on the hitch,
of course...)

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Very well worded. "cant", one of the def'n is tilt, or
slope. "the tree cants a bit to the left". Not sure what it
is, but it's not pine.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Granby" wrote in message
My 2 cants. If it is a pine tree don't cut them. We did
and two years
later in a big straight line wind storm the tree just
flipped up with the
root ball displayed it the air.

Roots under house? ? ? Ray Home Repair 14 June 23rd 08 04:10 AM
tree roots news Home Repair 4 April 29th 07 09:20 PM
Help! Well has roots Vic Dura Home Repair 16 March 6th 07 09:43 PM
Tree roots ~~Phil~~ Home Repair 2 August 29th 05 07:46 PM
Drains and roots Tony Collins UK diy 7 December 23rd 04 03:14 PM