Posted to alt.home.repair
Gordon Shumway Gordon Shumway is offline

Default Roots in or out?

It depends on how many roots and how close to the tree. Don't laugh
but I cut some tree roots to put in a sidewalk. The sidewalk was
about three or four feet from the trunk of the tree. About five years
later the damn tree had fallen over and was leaning against my deck
railing. It fell away from where the roots were cut. My tree was
about eight to ten inches in dia. Good luck.

G.S.

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 21:49:37 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I'm digging in the front yard. The park management wants me
to move the little two wheel trailer from the side yard to
the driveway. This means expanding the driveway the size of
one space.

Problem is, the space is near a tree, and there are a lot of
roots. Should I take the roots out with axe and sawzall
(some up to 4 inch diameter). Or leave the roots in, and let
the gravel settle around the roots?