Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Any ideas on a bench belt sander?

Bob-tx wrote:
I had an el cheapo one inch wide belt, belt sander; no flat disk
combination. I used it mostly for sharpening knives (carefully with
the finest grit I could buy) and touch up on some scroll saw items.

Bought the thing for $30 at one of these traveling tools shows that
was going through town about five years ago. One of the plastic
pulleys flew apart on it, so am going toss it.

The motor is fine, anyone want a small electric motor? No charge.

Want to get another one, and most are 4 inch belts with a disk sander
on the side. That is fine, assuming I can get 400 grit or more
sandpaper. Went to HD, and they had one (I forget the brand) for
$120. I asked the manager for a discount. He acted insulted and
asked why he should give me a discount. I counted them off for him:
1, because I am a nice guy; 2, because you are a nice guy; 3, because
I am an old man; 4, because I'll buy it if you do.

He told me he wouldn't even give his old man a discount on it. I
told him I was going to buy it before he displayed that attitude. He
obviously didn't care. I left.

Then went to Harbor Freight and they had one for $75, but it was a
hunk of junk. Also went to Sears, and the only one they had was as
junky as Harbor Freight's, and was $130.

Any recommendations or suggestions, please.

Keep your eye on Craigslist. I found a 4" Craftsman for $25. I called, and
the owner said come on over. While I was there, the chap asked if I knew
anyone who wanted a larger sander - a Delta 6" - never taken out of the box.

"How much do you need to get for it?" I asked.

"Oh, thirty dollars," was the stunning reply.

"I'll take it too(!)," said I.

Gave the smaller one to my son.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Bob-tx wrote:
[...]

I advertise for WANTED when I am looking for things. I have gotten some
great bargains from people who don't really know the value of what they
have, or just have it stuck back in a closet or garage somewhere and was
going to sell it "sometime", or they want to convert it to cash before the
owner gets back from their camping trip.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

Keep your eye on Craigslist. I found a 4" Craftsman for $25. I
called, and the owner said come on over. While I was there, the chap
asked if I knew anyone who wanted a larger sander - a Delta 6" -
never taken out of the box.

"How much do you need to get for it?" I asked.

"Oh, thirty dollars," was the stunning reply.

"I'll take it too(!)," said I.

Gave the smaller one to my son.

I advertise for WANTED when I am looking for things. I have gotten
some great bargains from people who don't really know the value of
what they have, or just have it stuck back in a closet or garage
somewhere and was going to sell it "sometime", or they want to
convert it to cash before the owner gets back from their camping trip.

Ohhh! A most excellent idea. 'Til now, I've been a passive shopper, scanning
the listings for things of interest. I'm gonna start listing my "wants"
sometime soon.