Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Any ideas on a bench belt sander?

In article ,
"Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote:

I had an el cheapo one inch wide belt, belt sander; no flat disk
combination. I used it mostly for sharpening knives (carefully with the
finest grit I could buy) and touch up on some scroll saw items.

Bought the thing for $30 at one of these traveling tools shows that was
going through town about five years ago. One of the plastic pulleys flew
apart on it, so am going toss it.

The motor is fine, anyone want a small electric motor? No charge.

Want to get another one, and most are 4 inch belts with a disk sander on the
side. That is fine, assuming I can get 400 grit or more sandpaper. Went
to HD, and they had one (I forget the brand) for $120. I asked the manager
for a discount. He acted insulted and asked why he should give me a
discount. I counted them off for him: 1, because I am a nice guy; 2,
because you are a nice guy; 3, because I am an old man; 4, because I'll buy
it if you do.

He told me he wouldn't even give his old man a discount on it. I told him I
was going to buy it before he displayed that attitude. He obviously didn't
care. I left.

Then went to Harbor Freight and they had one for $75, but it was a hunk of
junk. Also went to Sears, and the only one they had was as junky as Harbor
Freight's, and was $130.

Any recommendations or suggestions, please.

Bob-tx

Sure. Kalamazoo.

http://www.kalamazooind.com/