Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What Good Are Pilot Holes?

On Feb 17, 3:07*pm, Gary Sokolisch
wrote:
If you pre-drill, the screw doesn't have much to grab onto. *In the old
days, they simply turned the screw without any pilot holes. *In fact, my
dad used to do it that way. *The screw threads thereby get a good "bite"
into the wood.

Use a deck screw that drills and has lube right on it. (I always
thought a pilot hole was used to center with a small drill bit...so
your larger bit would have the "pilot" to follow.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

The hammer routine, where I came from, was called a "Philadelphia
Screwdriver." Under certain circumstance, works fine. Do the final
tightening with a screwdriver, however.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oh, I like to use liquid dishwashing detergent as a lubricant. Just
plain bar soap works well also.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/17/2011 9:51 PM, deadgoose wrote:
Oh, I like to use liquid dishwashing detergent as a lubricant. Just
plain bar soap works well also.

Yeah, I grew up doing that as well. It has a downside, though- if the
wood gets damp, you can get nasty stains around the screwhead. Candle
stub or beeswax is better, if available. Lubes better and non-staining.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 17, 8:51*pm, deadgoose wrote:
Oh, I like to use liquid dishwashing detergent as a lubricant. Just
plain bar soap works well also.

Wire lube or teflon pipe dope works also.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I use vaseline, dispensed from a cow teat syringe. Works
nicely, and the narrow tip allows me to put grease into the
pilot h ole.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus