Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Complicated Door Knob Replacement

I have an old house with glass door knobs. The bathroom knob no longer
works properly. I bought a new replacement and when I removed the old
knob, I noticed that the bore in the door is way too small for the new
knob assembly. Should I get out a hole saw and cut a new hole? Looks
like I can really screw this up if I'm not careful.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 12, 9:38*pm, finiteguy wrote:
I have an old house with glass door knobs. The bathroom knob no longer
works properly. I bought a new replacement and when I removed the old
knob, I noticed that the bore in the door is way too small for the new
knob assembly. Should I get out a hole saw and cut a new hole? Looks
like I can really screw this up if I'm not careful.

Bore a better hole, but clamp a board on the door and start your
drilling through that to keep it from wandering off where it doesn't
belong. Two boards, one on each side would be best so there won't be a
splintery breakthrough. Measure carefully, and mark well before you
start. God luck.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, you can really screw it up. There are clamp on drill
jigs for this, or you can call a locksmith who has
experience.

--
Christopher A. Young
(locksmith of 25 years, who has experience)

"finiteguy" wrote in message
I have an old house with glass door knobs. The bathroom knob
no longer
works properly. I bought a new replacement and when I
removed the old
knob, I noticed that the bore in the door is way too small
for the new
knob assembly. Should I get out a hole saw and cut a new
hole? Looks
like I can really screw this up if I'm not careful.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 10:51*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Yes, you can really screw it up. There are clamp on drill
jigs for this, or you can call a locksmith who has
experience.

The clamp-on jigs are for 2 1/8" hole saws - most definitely bigger
than what the OP needs for his antique reproduction knob set.

Joe had it right. Drill the correct size hole in two pieces of scrap
plywood, clamp one on either side of the door with the holes centered
on the existing hole, and have at it with the drill. The escutcheon
will mask minor errors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tell us about the new replacement. Is the new lock a glass
knob thing, or is it a modern privacy knob set?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"finiteguy" wrote in message
I have an old house with glass door knobs. The bathroom knob
no longer
works properly. I bought a new replacement and when I
removed the old
knob, I noticed that the bore in the door is way too small
for the new
knob assembly. Should I get out a hole saw and cut a new
hole? Looks
like I can really screw this up if I'm not careful.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I read the post, again. He doesn't say if it's a
reproduction, or a privay set. Lets see if the OP will
provide more information.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

Yes, you can really screw it up. There are clamp on drill
jigs for this, or you can call a locksmith who has
experience.

The clamp-on jigs are for 2 1/8" hole saws - most definitely
bigger
than what the OP needs for his antique reproduction knob
set.

Joe had it right. Drill the correct size hole in two pieces
of scrap
plywood, clamp one on either side of the door with the holes
centered
on the existing hole, and have at it with the drill. The
escutcheon
will mask minor errors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 11:37*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I read the post, again. He doesn't say if it's a
reproduction, or a privay set. Lets see if the OP will
provide more information.

I think you're probably right and I probably read it wrong. My
apologies.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/13/2011 07:51 AM, dadiOH wrote:
finiteguy wrote:
I have an old house with glass door knobs. The bathroom knob no longer
works properly. I bought a new replacement and when I removed the old
knob, I noticed that the bore in the door is way too small for the new
knob assembly. Should I get out a hole saw and cut a new hole? Looks
like I can really screw this up if I'm not careful.

How much bigger a hole do you need? One way to enlarge a hole and keep it
round and centered with vertical sides is to use a router bit that is larger
in diameter than the bit shank. Extend the shank far enough through the
hole so that the shank rides on the top portion of the hole thus cutting
only a bit more than the bottom half; turn work over and repeat. When the
last cut in the hole is the correct diameter, use a bit that cuts the same
size as the shank to finish the cut.

As an example, if you start with a 3/8 bit on a 1/4 shank, you will enlarge
the hole diameter by 1/8 with each cut. Whether or not you can get an
exactly sized new hole this way depends on the sizes of starting hole and
desired finished size; with a 5/16 bit on a 1/4 shaft you can get to within
1/16 regardless of starting hole size.

I'm imagining that he has a door with mortise or tubular latches and is
trying to replace with a modern lockset, something that always makes me
cringe.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

finiteguy wrote:
[...]

That was my first impression as well. OP has not posted back, so far,
that I have noticed. If these are in fact old-style locksets, the
backset will be wrong as well, I suspect.

I'd be looking on-line for repro knobs, or take out the entire assembly
and start visiting salvage houses, as well as the oldest locksmith in
town (sometimes, they keep junk boxes in the back room). In the short
term, I'd steal the knob assembly off another door, to get the bathroom
usable and buy some time.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I read the post, again. He doesn't say if it's a
reproduction, or a privay set. Lets see if the OP will
provide more information.

I think you're probably right and I probably read it wrong. *My
apologies.

The replacement knob is a mordern knob that I got at Home Depot. The
old glass knob is loose and the latch has a lot of slop. Feels like
someday the knob will fail to turn the latch mechanism and I (or
someone else)will get locked in the bathroom if it breaks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

We would all be glad to help, but I think we need more
information.

Is the old lockset a cylinder lock or a mortise lock?

If it is a cylinder lock with the hole in the door face too small:
Bore the correct size hole in a scrap piece of plywood. Have
the scrap piece large enough to be able to clamp it to the door
face above and below the old hole. Carefully position the plywood
for proper backset of the new lock. Let the hole in the scrap
guide the drill into the door. A thin scrap on the back side of
the door will prevent splintering as the bit goes through.

If it is a mortise lock, the problem is quite different.

I hope I guessed the problem about right, if not, clarify and ask
again.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

wrote:

I read the post, again. He doesn't say if it's a
reproduction, or a privay set. Lets see if the OP will
provide more information.

I think you're probably right and I probably read it wrong. My
apologies.

The replacement knob is a mordern knob that I got at Home Depot.
The
old glass knob is loose and the latch has a lot of slop. Feels
like
someday the knob will fail to turn the latch mechanism and I (or
someone else)will get locked in the bathroom if it breaks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 19:38:31 -0800 (PST), finiteguy
wrote:

I have an old house with glass door knobs. The bathroom knob no longer
works properly. I bought a new replacement and when I removed the old
knob, I noticed that the bore in the door is way too small for the new
knob assembly. Should I get out a hole saw and cut a new hole? Looks
like I can really screw this up if I'm not careful.

You should take the new piece back and fix what you have.
You can find old stuff to fit.
No reason to bore new holes in old doors.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/13/2011 09:58 AM, DanG wrote:
We would all be glad to help, but I think we need more
information.

Is the old lockset a cylinder lock or a mortise lock?

If it is a cylinder lock with the hole in the door face too small:
Bore the correct size hole in a scrap piece of plywood. Have
the scrap piece large enough to be able to clamp it to the door
face above and below the old hole. Carefully position the plywood
for proper backset of the new lock. Let the hole in the scrap
guide the drill into the door. A thin scrap on the back side of
the door will prevent splintering as the bit goes through.

If it is a mortise lock, the problem is quite different.

I hope I guessed the problem about right, if not, clarify and ask
again.

actually if it is an old tubular lock they are still available rather
than resorting to butchering a nice old door it can simply be replaced.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I have an old house with glass door knobs. The bathroom knob no longer
works properly. I bought a new replacement and when I removed the old
knob, I noticed that the bore in the door is way too small for the new
knob assembly. Should I get out a hole saw and cut a new hole? Looks
like I can really screw this up if I'm not careful.

You should take the new piece back and fix what you have.
You can find old stuff to fit.
No reason to bore new holes in old doors.

--Vic

I might do that. I can take a knob from one of my closets and swap it.
My house was built in 1947, I think its odd that they used these knobs
during that time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"finiteguy" wrote in message
I have an old house with glass door knobs. The bathroom knob no longer
works properly. I bought a new replacement and when I removed the old
knob, I noticed that the bore in the door is way too small for the new
knob assembly. Should I get out a hole saw and cut a new hole? Looks
like I can really screw this up if I'm not careful.

From your limited description it sounds to be like you might have an old
mortise style lock. Replacing that with a modern 2-3/8 backset lock is a
big job that involves adding a filler plug to the door before you drill
anything.

My advice would be to find another mortise lock if yours is broken. The
glass knobs, the shafts and setscrews can be purchased at any full service
hardware store.

I can and will describe the procedure in detail if you want to proceed.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 07:39:39 -0800 (PST), finiteguy
wrote:

I might do that. I can take a knob from one of my closets and swap it.
My house was built in 1947, I think its odd that they used these knobs
during that time.

A woman might have wanted glass knobs.
Some even have roses embedded in them.
There used to be a wrecker's yard not far from where I lived that
had everything you might want "old."
Probably some source in your area.
There's places on the net selling old stuff too.
http://houseofantiquehardware.com/St...-Bronze-Finish
Prices are probably steeper than you'd find in a salvage yard.
1947 was a good year. A very good year.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

finiteguy wrote:
I have an old house with glass door knobs. The bathroom knob no longer
works properly. I bought a new replacement and when I removed the old
knob, I noticed that the bore in the door is way too small for the new
knob assembly. Should I get out a hole saw and cut a new hole? Looks
like I can really screw this up if I'm not careful.

The "Oops Arbor" from Lee Valley, while you didn't make the first hole but
this will make the the new hole on center

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...180,42316&ap=1

--
PV

If you can't fix it with a hammer.......you have an electrical problem

Posted to alt.home.repair

Please read the furnished manual (RTFM) and check the hole
sizes. If the new lock calls for 2 1/8 cross bore, then the
clamp on drill jig is the way to go.

I'm with you, I don't like the thought of the door knob
falling off, and leaving me trapped in the bathroom.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"finiteguy" wrote in message

wrote:

I read the post, again. He doesn't say if it's a
reproduction, or a privay set. Lets see if the OP will
provide more information.

I think you're probably right and I probably read it
wrong. My
apologies.

The replacement knob is a mordern knob that I got at Home
Depot. The
old glass knob is loose and the latch has a lot of slop.
Feels like
someday the knob will fail to turn the latch mechanism and I
(or
someone else)will get locked in the bathroom if it breaks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to finiteguy, Chele wrote:
finiteguy wrote:

I have an old house with glass door knobs. The bathroom knob no longer
works properly. I bought a new replacement and when I removed the old
knob, I noticed that the bore in the door is way too small for the new
knob assembly. Should I get out a hole saw and cut a new hole? Looks
like I can really screw this up if I'm not careful.

Here's a site that I found helpful. Hopefully it helps you the way it
helped me. Good Luck.
http://thequickdoorhanger.com/changi...nob-hole-size/

Interior Door Knob Replacement Question Jeffy3 Home Repair 14 February 15th 09 03:52 PM
Replacement knob for hassock fan? Lee Home Repair 3 June 30th 08 03:52 AM
Rocaille Replacement Tub Faucet Knob The Streets Home Repair 1 September 6th 07 03:29 AM
Door knob CJC UK diy 3 November 22nd 06 01:50 PM
Door knob set Lawrie UK diy 3 March 28th 06 01:20 AM