Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default Complicated Door Knob Replacement

We would all be glad to help, but I think we need more
information.

Is the old lockset a cylinder lock or a mortise lock?

If it is a cylinder lock with the hole in the door face too small:
Bore the correct size hole in a scrap piece of plywood. Have
the scrap piece large enough to be able to clamp it to the door
face above and below the old hole. Carefully position the plywood
for proper backset of the new lock. Let the hole in the scrap
guide the drill into the door. A thin scrap on the back side of
the door will prevent splintering as the bit goes through.

If it is a mortise lock, the problem is quite different.

I hope I guessed the problem about right, if not, clarify and ask
again.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"finiteguy" wrote in message
On Feb 13, 3:29 am, RicodJour wrote:
On Feb 12, 11:37 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

wrote:

I read the post, again. He doesn't say if it's a
reproduction, or a privay set. Lets see if the OP will
provide more information.

I think you're probably right and I probably read it wrong. My
apologies.

The replacement knob is a mordern knob that I got at Home Depot.
The
old glass knob is loose and the latch has a lot of slop. Feels
like
someday the knob will fail to turn the latch mechanism and I (or
someone else)will get locked in the bathroom if it breaks.