Posted to alt.home.repair

Default flooring in bathroom

OK here's what we got

looking at tile or vinyl for the bathroom. current floor is vinyl on
some type of wood floor.

home depot says take the gloss off the vinyl, then mastic, then
backerboard, then mastic then tile

lowe's guy says for vinyl, put down skin coat to fill lines in the
vinyl, then put town self adhering vinyl.

lowe's guy also says for tile, put down a membrance to cover the
vinyl, then mastic, then tile. membrane is moisture barrier and fills
in lines in the vinyl

any comments? Thanks all
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 9:27*pm, bpuharic wrote:
OK here's what we got

looking at tile or vinyl for the bathroom. current floor is vinyl on
some type of wood floor.

home depot says take the gloss off the vinyl, then mastic, then
backerboard, then mastic then tile

lowe's guy says for vinyl, put down skin coat to fill lines in the
vinyl, then put town self adhering vinyl. *

lowe's guy also says for tile, put down a membrance to cover the
vinyl, then mastic, then tile. membrane is moisture barrier and fills
in lines in the vinyl

any comments? Thanks all

pull the existing tile and more than likely the underlayment. make
certain the sub floor is rock solid. add deck screws as needed.

then cover with concrete board, fill the seams, and tile.

too many layers cause door threshold troubles, isnt as solid either.

do it right, do it once then relax you wouldnt be doing it again
because you tried to cut corners......
Posted to alt.home.repair

looking at tile or vinyl for the bathroom. current floor is vinyl on
some type of wood floor.

home depot says take the gloss off the vinyl, then mastic, then
backerboard, then mastic then tile

lowe's guy says for vinyl, put down skin coat to fill lines in the
vinyl, then put town self adhering vinyl.

lowe's guy also says for tile, put down a membrance to cover the
vinyl, then mastic, then tile. membrane is moisture barrier and fills
in lines in the vinyl

any comments? Thanks all

*Go to a flooring store and a tile store and talk those people. Also bring
in a contractor and ask his opinion. If there is any flex in the current
floor, you will need to beef it up for ceramic tile. I would remove
everything down to the bare subfloor and start from there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 9:27*pm, bpuharic wrote:
OK here's what we got

looking at tile or vinyl for the bathroom. current floor is vinyl on
some type of wood floor.

home depot says take the gloss off the vinyl, then mastic, then
backerboard, then mastic then tile

lowe's guy says for vinyl, put down skin coat to fill lines in the
vinyl, then put town self adhering vinyl. *

lowe's guy also says for tile, put down a membrance to cover the
vinyl, then mastic, then tile. membrane is moisture barrier and fills
in lines in the vinyl

any comments? Thanks all

Renmove the vinyl.

If you want new vinyl check the subfloor condition. If it's pretty
good you can patch any small problems with leveling filler. If it's
crappy put down a layer of 1/4" luan board.

If you want tile then if all you have is a subfloor you need to put
down 1/2" backer board motared and screwed to the subfloor. If you
have a wood floor on top of a subfloor and it it pretty solid you can
use the 1/4" backer borad instead.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dss dss is offline

bpuharic,

Here's a website with a wealth of information on tile.

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php

They have a calculator (deflecto) that will tell you whether your
structure (joists, subfloor, etc.) can adequately support ceramic or
natural stone. If there is too much deflection on the floor you may
have to tear down to the joists and beef things up. This might help
you make the tile vs. vinyl decision.

Vinyl is easier, cheaper, requires less maintenance, but won't last as
long as ceramic. If you're going to be in the house for the long haul
I'd seriously consider tile. Either one (done right) will give you a
functional bathroom floor. The guys who moderate the website (most are
tile pros) will even walk you through your project. I got enough
information just by lurking.

There is a fairly wide range of opinions, even among professionals,
about what constitutes "best practices" in the laying of tile. I'm a
pretty handy guy, but I discovered I don't really like working with
tile.

Good luck.

dss

Posted to alt.home.repair

bpuharic wrote in
:

OK here's what we got

looking at tile or vinyl for the bathroom. current floor is vinyl on
some type of wood floor.

home depot says take the gloss off the vinyl, then mastic, then
backerboard, then mastic then tile

Why take the gloss off if you're gonna cover it with backerboard?! No
adhesion is required for backerboard. Put cheap grey thinset, backerboard
on top, screw it according to the pattern on the board. Then, good
quality thinset when laying the tile on it.

lowe's guy says for vinyl, put down skin coat to fill lines in the
vinyl, then put town self adhering vinyl.

Why self adhering? Where did that come into play? If the vinyl is in
decent shape, strip it with cleaners. Can also abrade it. Skimcoat to
remove all indentations and pattern recesses. Glue down vinyl.

lowe's guy also says for tile, put down a membrance to cover the
vinyl, then mastic, then tile. membrane is moisture barrier and fills
in lines in the vinyl

That membrane stuff is the latest $$$ thing being pushed I'm hearing.
Never used it. Not sure it's worth. Per Lowes guy reason, moisture
barrier? In my unpro opinion, if you need a moisture barrier for subfloor
for tile you've got some issues to deal with before even thinking about
tile. The little I know of the membrane, it's purpose is stability.

any comments? Thanks all

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 07:25:47 -0500, "John Grabowski"
wrote:

looking at tile or vinyl for the bathroom. current floor is vinyl on
some type of wood floor.

home depot says take the gloss off the vinyl, then mastic, then
backerboard, then mastic then tile

lowe's guy says for vinyl, put down skin coat to fill lines in the
vinyl, then put town self adhering vinyl.

lowe's guy also says for tile, put down a membrance to cover the
vinyl, then mastic, then tile. membrane is moisture barrier and fills
in lines in the vinyl

any comments? Thanks all

*Go to a flooring store and a tile store and talk those people. Also bring
in a contractor and ask his opinion. If there is any flex in the current
floor, you will need to beef it up for ceramic tile. I would remove
everything down to the bare subfloor and start from there.

there's no flex, but every flooring person i talk to has a different
opinion
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 20:32:40 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Feb 10, 9:27*pm, bpuharic wrote:
OK here's what we got

looking at tile or vinyl for the bathroom. current floor is vinyl on
some type of wood floor.

home depot says take the gloss off the vinyl, then mastic, then
backerboard, then mastic then tile

lowe's guy says for vinyl, put down skin coat to fill lines in the
vinyl, then put town self adhering vinyl. *

lowe's guy also says for tile, put down a membrance to cover the
vinyl, then mastic, then tile. membrane is moisture barrier and fills
in lines in the vinyl

any comments? Thanks all

pull the existing tile and more than likely the underlayment. make
certain the sub floor is rock solid. add deck screws as needed.

yeah, might have to do this. floor is rock solid but ugly as hell with
the vinyl

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 05:59:01 -0800 (PST), dss
wrote:

bpuharic,

Here's a website with a wealth of information on tile.

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php

They have a calculator (deflecto) that will tell you whether your
structure (joists, subfloor, etc.) can adequately support ceramic or
natural stone. If there is too much deflection on the floor you may
have to tear down to the joists and beef things up. This might help
you make the tile vs. vinyl decision.

very useful! THanks much

Vinyl is easier, cheaper, requires less maintenance, but won't last as
long as ceramic. If you're going to be in the house for the long haul
I'd seriously consider tile. Either one (done right) will give you a
functional bathroom floor. The guys who moderate the website (most are
tile pros) will even walk you through your project. I got enough
information just by lurking.

yeah probably be here for 7 or 8 years yet...

There is a fairly wide range of opinions, even among professionals,
about what constitutes "best practices" in the laying of tile. I'm a
pretty handy guy, but I discovered I don't really like working with
tile.

Good luck.

dss

this'll be a first for me. 1st time is always a big job...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dss" wrote in message

Vinyl is easier, cheaper, requires less maintenance, but won't last as
long as ceramic. If you're going to be in the house for the long haul
I'd seriously consider tile. Either one (done right) will give you a
functional bathroom floor. The guys who moderate the website (most are
tile pros) will even walk you through your project. I got enough
information just by lurking.

One god thing about Vinal is that it is cheaper and if you (usually wife)
wants to change the color/type it is easy. We had some put down a couple of
years ago that looks almost like a stone tile.
Sometimes it depends on the type of house. If it is a high cost (for the
area) house, you may want to put in what is popular and live with it. If
lower end, then the vinal may be the way to go.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 17:31:16 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"dss" wrote in message

Vinyl is easier, cheaper, requires less maintenance, but won't last as
long as ceramic. If you're going to be in the house for the long haul
I'd seriously consider tile. Either one (done right) will give you a
functional bathroom floor. The guys who moderate the website (most are
tile pros) will even walk you through your project. I got enough
information just by lurking.

One god thing about Vinal is that it is cheaper and if you (usually wife)
wants to change the color/type it is easy.

since my wife isn't looking over my shoulder you're right. and she
does that! you're a wise man...

Posted to alt.home.repair

bpuharic wrote in
:

wrote:

On Feb 10, 9:27*pm, bpuharic wrote:
OK here's what we got

looking at tile or vinyl for the bathroom. current floor is vinyl on
some type of wood floor.

home depot says take the gloss off the vinyl, then mastic, then
backerboard, then mastic then tile

lowe's guy says for vinyl, put down skin coat to fill lines in the
vinyl, then put town self adhering vinyl. *

lowe's guy also says for tile, put down a membrance to cover the
vinyl, then mastic, then tile. membrane is moisture barrier and fills
in lines in the vinyl

any comments? Thanks all

Renmove the vinyl.

If you want new vinyl check the subfloor condition. If it's pretty
good you can patch any small problems with leveling filler. If it's
crappy put down a layer of 1/4" luan board.

~$20 vs ~$10/sheet but real flooring underlayment is a better choice in
my unpro opinion.

If you want tile then if all you have is a subfloor you need to put
down 1/2" backer board motared and screwed to the subfloor. If you
have a wood floor on top of a subfloor and it it pretty solid you can
use the 1/4" backer borad instead.

thanks much...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 9:27*pm, bpuharic wrote:

lowe's guy also says for tile, put down a membrance to cover the
vinyl, then mastic, then tile. membrane is moisture barrier and fills
in lines in the vinyl

Mastic would be more than sufficient to fill any lines in the vinyl,
but vinyl on vinyl is hill-jack.

I can't comment on your choices of materials, except you don't need
cement board for a tile floor.
-----

- gpsman

Bathroom flooring [email protected] Home Repair 3 May 4th 08 03:48 PM
Bathroom Flooring Fuoleum UK diy 2 April 26th 06 01:24 PM
Laminate flooring In Bathroom? Jim M Home Repair 4 February 3rd 05 04:07 PM
Bathroom flooring Q mutley UK diy 5 March 25th 04 01:21 PM
Bathroom Flooring Fishter UK diy 4 August 1st 03 04:06 PM