Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Is all harvest gold the same?

Is all harvest gold the same?

A guy who does home remodeling tells me he has a harvest gold electric
stove in good condition from 1970.

Mine in a Whirlpool and matches the color of my Whirlpool
refrigerator.

Did more than one company make the same color and if so, were they
really the same color???

It's an hour or two away from here. I wish I had started with home
remodelers right here, but I didn't**. I don't have to buy it until I
see it, but it means driving a couple hours and probably renting a
trailer which is a nuisance and a little money.

So what are the odds the colors are the same?

**I was about to buy a replacment thermostat for the current stove. I
had moved the stove to look at the one it has now, and I only bumped
it a little, something that wouddn't hurt it normally, but the fire
changed the inside window glass and it shattered.

Is it possible to buy a piece of such glass and cut it to fit the
window opening? The part is not available from Whirlpool.

Can I move the outer window to the inside and replace the outer window
with lexan? Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 8:15*am, mm wrote:
[...]

You can buy a brand new stove for under $300 at local appliance
stores.
And I see them a lot cheaper than that, with maybe a small dent that
isn't
noticeable on Ebay or also local stores. I'd be going that route
rather
than driving 2 hours to find anitques from the 70s. Unless it spent
it's
life in the box, it's had 35 years of use at this point.

I'd be looking to replace that vintage fridge too. New one would
probably
save you $100 a year in energy, helping pay for it. Then you have a
stove
and fridge that match.

If you're hell bent on that stove, have the guy take a pic of it and
see what
it looks like. I would suspect that "harvest gold" was made by more
than
one manufacturer. Even if only one made it, the exact color could
have
changed from 72 to 78, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote in
:

[...]

Dunno but also consider any color fading will depend on the individual
location of where it was. May be negligible as well. Won't know for sure
until they are near each other. Bring yours along :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 08:15:34 -0500, mm
wrote Re Is all harvest gold the same?:

So what are the odds the colors are the same?

The odds are not good.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 5 Feb 2011 05:29:46 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Feb 5, 8:15*am, mm wrote:
[...]

I thought of heading this off in the first post but thought it would
look cranky of me. Trader, you give a lot of good help to me and
others here, for which I'm very grateful, truly, but I want a harvest
gold stove, to match my harvest gold fridge. White and stainless are
okay, and if I had no modern kitchen before, those appliances would be
fantastic, but they are not improvements from my childhood, like
harvest gold was and still is.

(My mother had a pink washer and dryer, Whirlpool, bought in 1957.
Even though it's pink, for girls, I would sort of like that because
it's not the same old white.)

If you're hell bent on that stove, have the guy take a pic of it and
see what it looks like.

I am afraid that color rendition could change at any of the several
steps in this, and exact would only look close or close would look
exact.

I would suspect that "harvest gold" was made by more
than one manufacturer. Even if only one made it, the exact color could
have changed from 72 to 78, etc.

You're probably right. Maybe I can either find one nearby before he
gets impatient with me, or I can find something else to do there to
make the trip worthwhile if the stove isn't right.

Red said:
Dunno but also consider any color fading will depend on the individual
location of where it was. May be negligible as well. Won't know for sure
until they are near each other. Bring yours along :-)

Good point. I can easily bring the drawer. The side that has been
agaisnt the wall isn't visibly different from the front, but my
kitchen faces north and the stove is on the other side of the room
anyhow. But his might be much faded.

Hey, I just looked at mine, and it doesnt' even match itself. The top
is lighter than the front! I thought maybe cleaning the front would
help, since I just cleaned the top, but it didnt' make a difference. I
thought maybe the ceiling light made a difference so Ibrought a lamp
over, but it seems the front is darker than the top!

Maybe they did that on purpose for aesthetic reasons?

If not, maybe I can be as tolerant of an alien stove as I've been
towards my own stove.

Thanks, Trader, and Red, and Caesar.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
mm wrote:

[...]

I'd be taking your refrigerator with you on the drive. Unless you see
them side by side, you won't be able to tell whether they match. The
human eye can distinguish at least a million different colors.*

*http://www.visualexpert.com/FAQ/Part2/cfaqPart2.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/5/2011 8:29 AM, wrote:
On Feb 5, 8:15 am, wrote:
[...]

A new $300 stove would be a piece of junk. Even new ones that are much
more expensive are junk. We remodeled the kitchen maybe 8 years ago and
bought the high end of conventional gas stoves. The enamel has flaked
off the cast iron grates and the legends have already worn off two of
the knobs.

I put the old stove in a rental apartment. The finish on everything is
like new and the tenant bakes frequently and loves how well the oven
works. I did spend a lot of money to keep it in repair though. The
igniter module died and it cost $35 and 10 minutes to replace it. The
new stove has a hot surface igniter that runs anytime the burners are
needed (what a stupid design) and is a lot more expensive to repair.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Caesar Romano" wrote in message
On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 08:15:34 -0500, mm
wrote Re Is all harvest gold the same?:

So what are the odds the colors are the same?

The odds are not good.

But they all look so bad that no one notices anyway. I prefer the turquoise
myself.

Avocado is second.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Feb 2011 08:55:20 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Caesar Romano" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 08:15:34 -0500, mm
wrote Re Is all harvest gold the same?:

So what are the odds the colors are the same?

The odds are not good.

But they all look so bad that no one notices anyway. I prefer the turquoise
myself.

Avocado is second.

Our first house did you one better. The fridge was avocado and the stove
harvest gold. Add in the *yellow* (nothing goes with yellow) bathroom
fixtures and it was perfect!

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 08:08:50 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
mm wrote:

Is all harvest gold the same?

A guy who does home remodeling tells me he has a harvest gold electric
stove in good condition from 1970.

Mine in a Whirlpool and matches the color of my Whirlpool
refrigerator......

Thanks.

I'd be taking your refrigerator with you on the drive. Unless you see
them side by side, you won't be able to tell whether they match. The
human eye can distinguish at least a million different colors.*

*http://www.visualexpert.com/FAQ/Part2/cfaqPart2.html

It turns out my stove doesn't even match itself. The top is a lighter
color than the front. I don't know the proper terms. They're the
same color but the intensity is less.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 08:15:34 -0500, mm wrote:

Is all harvest gold the same?

There is a standard set for colors such as these (harvest gold, almond,
bisque, etc, etc.). Not only for appliances, but also for things such as
plumbing fixtures.

It's done by an non-profit organization funded by the manufacturers.

It's up to the individual manufacturer to make sure their color meets the
standard. Manufacturers such as Whirlpool always do.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 6 Feb 2011 06:59:02 -0800, Kuskokwim wrote:

On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 08:15:34 -0500, mm wrote:

Is all harvest gold the same?

There is a standard set for colors such as these (harvest gold, almond,
bisque, etc, etc.). Not only for appliances, but also for things such as
plumbing fixtures.

It's done by an non-profit organization funded by the manufacturers.

It's up to the individual manufacturer to make sure their color meets the
standard. Manufacturers such as Whirlpool always do.

Thanks. I've posted on Craig's list, and this week I will call some
appliance vendors and remodelers (who might be taking out the stove I
want when they put in a new one. A remodeler from New Jersey who I met
on line says he sees them often.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 11:08*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

*mm wrote:
[...]

But it's kind of unlikely that the refrig and the stove will be side
by side, right? So there probably is a bit of a fudge factor
allowance.

Not sure if it will work for you, but you could bring home a bunch of
paint color chips in the right harvest gold range from the Borg, match
it up to your refrig and make a note of the paint number, then mail
that and a few other nearby color chips to the guy to match up. Don't
just mail one as the guy might say close enough when it's not.

That might or might not make sense depending on how close a paint
store or Borg is to you, and what "an hour or two away" really means
in a round trip time. I'd figure it would shoot half a day going and
checking the thing out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

[snip]

I like yellow bathroom fixtures. Makes me feel like a time traveler. I
know exactly the yellow you are talking about- quite popular for a
couple years, back in the day. I even have a real Ma Bell rotary desk
phone in that shade, out back somewhere.

Yellow too easily turns into brown. I have a bedroom that was painted #2
yellow before I bought the house.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"All religions are equally sublime to the ignorant, useful to the
politician, and ridiculous to the philosopher." - Lucretius (99 - 55
B.C.E.)
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 06 Feb 2011 22:31:54 -0600, "
wrote:

wrote:

"Caesar wrote in message
On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 08:15:34 -0500,
wrote Re Is all harvest gold the same?:

So what are the odds the colors are the same?

The odds are not good.

But they all look so bad that no one notices anyway. I prefer the turquoise
myself.

Avocado is second.

Our first house did you one better. The fridge was avocado and the stove
harvest gold. Add in the *yellow* (nothing goes with yellow) bathroom
fixtures and it was perfect!

I like yellow bathroom fixtures. Makes me feel like a time traveler. I
know exactly the yellow you are talking about- quite popular for a
couple years, back in the day. I even have a real Ma Bell rotary desk
phone in that shade, out back somewhere.

When the tile tub surround failed (glued to sheetrock) it was almost
impossible to find a tile that looked decent with the yellow fixtures. What
we found was one of the most expensive (Spanish) tiles the tile store
"carried". It was expensive enough that they didn't stock it.

People who do any work on their house should buy and save extra
materials. Carpet, wall tile, floor tile, garden tile, linoleum,
molding, etc.

When I bought my house, four years old, the owner gave me the receipts
for the original carpeting and kitchen vinyl linoleum. I went there
and talkd to the manager. She said when they leave scraps behind, the
housewives call up and complain, so they don't, she said. I think the
stores should explain to people that they need to buy extra.

They still had, and I bought a piece of linoleum about 2 feet by 8
feet. I never used it, but I might have and it was still worth the
money. They didn't have the same carpet anymore.

Even the guy I bought the house from said he shoudl have saved the
scraps He spilled paint in the middle of the master bedroom, and he
said he had to cut out a 6x6" piece and the only carpet to replace it
was in a closet. Now the place has only 4 carpeted closets, and they
were all empty and I saw no carpet missing!! Maybe he cleaned it
enough that I didn't notice before I put things in there. I'll try to
remember to look when I'm an old man and I move out. (Hmmm. That
would be one advantage to not dying in bed here, but it woudln't make
up for the effort it takes to move.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 8:15*am, mm wrote:
Is all harvest gold the same?

No.

The color will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. It will vary
from paint batch to paint batch. Age and exposure to sunlight will
cause different levels of fading.

When my parents did the first kitchen remodel in the late 1970's, Mom
wanted harvest gold. They painted the existing cabinets harvest gold.
They installed several new cabinets. They bought a harvest gold range.
They bought a harvest gold free-standing cabinet for the phone. All
were slightly different hues, but it looked better than what was there
before.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Caesar wrote in message
[...]

Sure. That wouldn't have helped in this situation, though. The entire wall
was shot.

When I bought my house, four years old, the owner gave me the receipts
for the original carpeting and kitchen vinyl linoleum. I went there
and talkd to the manager. She said when they leave scraps behind, the
housewives call up and complain, so they don't, she said. I think the
stores should explain to people that they need to buy extra.

When we sold our last house I left spare tile for all but one bathroom (same
as the others but a different lot) and a few boxes of bamboo flooring. They
insisted I remove the carpet scraps (a few yards). Oh, well.

They still had, and I bought a piece of linoleum about 2 feet by 8
feet. I never used it, but I might have and it was still worth the
money. They didn't have the same carpet anymore.

They never will. It varies so much. Tile is another thing that's impossible
to match. I bought some stuff that was close when we sold our first house to
repair the kitchen floor. I moved some loose stuff from under the fridge to
the center of the floor.

Even the guy I bought the house from said he shoudl have saved the
scraps He spilled paint in the middle of the master bedroom, and he
said he had to cut out a 6x6" piece and the only carpet to replace it
was in a closet. Now the place has only 4 carpeted closets, and they
were all empty and I saw no carpet missing!! Maybe he cleaned it
enough that I didn't notice before I put things in there. I'll try to
remember to look when I'm an old man and I move out. (Hmmm. That
would be one advantage to not dying in bed here, but it woudln't make
up for the effort it takes to move.)

I dumped a gallon of BIN on the (red) bedroom carpet once. I got enough of it
up that it didn't look too bad. If you looked closely the backing was white,
though. What a PITA. We replaced all of the carpeting in the house before we
sold.

harvest pain Jon[_12_] Electronics 0 April 18th 10 02:26 AM
WOW Gold Runescape GP GuildWars ... Gold Money for sell [email protected] Woodworking 0 July 17th 07 03:32 AM