Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rheem Classic HVAC Condenser - Run Capacitor Replacement

I recently cleaned out the coils on our Rheem Classic condenser and
also took the time to take some pictures of the run capacitor
replacement procedure. I have experience replacing a capacitor on our
last home's GE Mars condenser, so I wanted to check out this one
before I have to actually replace it.

I wrote up a quick how-to to help other owners of Rheem HVAC systems
that may need to replace the capacitor. The biggest symptom of a
faulty capacitor is that the fan and/or compressor won't start. The
fan may also make more noise than usual and run hot.

Here's the guide - http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/R...lacement-Guide

I hope someone finds it to be useful.

-Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair
zek zek is offline

Here's the guide -http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Rheem-HVAC-Condenser-Run-Capacitor...

I hope someone finds it to be useful.

-Paul

Might be nice to have a capacitor test rig. Test capacitance and ESR.
Maybe overkill.

greg
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 3, 12:35*pm, Paul Michaels wrote:
I recently cleaned out the coils on our Rheem Classic condenser and
also took the time to take some pictures of the run capacitor
replacement procedure. I have experience replacing a capacitor on our
last home's GE Mars condenser, so I wanted to check out this one
before I have to actually replace it.

I wrote up a quick how-to to help other owners of Rheem HVAC systems
that may need to replace the capacitor. The biggest symptom of a
faulty capacitor is that the fan and/or compressor won't start. The
fan may also make more noise than usual and run hot.

Here's the guide -http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Rheem-HVAC-Condenser-Run-Capacitor...

I hope someone finds it to be useful.

-Paul

Nicely done and worth a bookmark.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/3/2011 1:39 PM, zek wrote:
On Feb 3, 1:35 pm, Paul wrote:
I recently cleaned out the coils on our Rheem Classic condenser and
also took the time to take some pictures of the run capacitor
replacement procedure. I have experience replacing a capacitor on our
last home's GE Mars condenser, so I wanted to check out this one
before I have to actually replace it.

I wrote up a quick how-to to help other owners of Rheem HVAC systems
that may need to replace the capacitor. The biggest symptom of a
faulty capacitor is that the fan and/or compressor won't start. The
fan may also make more noise than usual and run hot.

Here's the guide -http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Rheem-HVAC-Condenser-Run-Capacitor...

I hope someone finds it to be useful.

-Paul

Might be nice to have a capacitor test rig. Test capacitance and ESR.
Maybe overkill.

ESR isn't normally a problem at frequencies as low as 60hz.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/3/2011 12:35 PM, Paul Michaels wrote:
I recently cleaned out the coils on our Rheem Classic condenser and
also took the time to take some pictures of the run capacitor
replacement procedure. I have experience replacing a capacitor on our
last home's GE Mars condenser, so I wanted to check out this one
before I have to actually replace it.

I wrote up a quick how-to to help other owners of Rheem HVAC systems
that may need to replace the capacitor. The biggest symptom of a
faulty capacitor is that the fan and/or compressor won't start. The
fan may also make more noise than usual and run hot.

Here's the guide - http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/R...lacement-Guide

I hope someone finds it to be useful.

-Paul

Usually, I can spot a bad capacitor immediately because the area around
the terminals has popped up disconnecting the circuit internally. It's
a safety feature that most motor capacitors have now.

TDD