Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Is it harder to drill holes in metal when the metal is cold?

On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 12:53:31 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

One thing I do recommend when drilling small diameter holes with a hand
held drill, is to use the short jobber length bits. You can pick them up
at most industrial suppliers in packs of 10 or I believe Harbor Freight
has them too. The 1/8 bits are 1-1/2 to 2 inches long and less
likely to break in a hand held drill. I use the titanium nitride coated
bits, they're gold in color.

Good to know. Thanks. I was at HFreight yesterday, but may be there
again in two weeks.

I did find the part I need, but the immediate need for the trailer
faded today when I didn't bid on the furnace and someone else did with
9 seconds left. I thought he would have to relist it. I don't know
if I wanted it or not, but I'm still depressed.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 4 Feb 2011 20:57:56 -0500, "Twayne"
wrote:

In ,
The Daring Dufas typed:
:: On 2/2/2011 8:52 AM, mm wrote:
::: Is it harder to drill holes in metal when the metal is
::: cold?
:::
::: For some reason I think so.
:::
::: I have a few holes to drill in 1/8 or 3/64" steel,
::: outside, and it's about 30 degrees most days lately.
::: They are going to be awkward to drill in the first place,
::: so I don't want it to be harder to do, and I can delay it
::: to 70 degree weather.
:::
::: That's no big deal but now it's more important to me as
::: an academic question.
::
:: I've noticed that I have more bits shatter in cold
:: weather. I have very few drill bits break in warmer
:: weather. If I'm doing serious drilling in any metal other
:: than sheet metal, I use a lubricant called Tap Magic. It's
:: for drilling and thread cutting.
::
:: TDD

I do the same but if I get caught short, I'll sometimes use kerosene. As
long as you're not stupid enough to let the bit get red hot, it'll never
ignite on you and if it does it's easy to quench that little bit. Most of
the so called drilling "lubricants" are mostly kerosene anyway if you look
at the contents.

HTH,

Twayne`

Does this or the other lubricants work when you're drilling up?
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 4 Feb 2011 22:54:34 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

?
"Twayne" wrote

WD-40 is NOT a lubricant! That's an urban myth and totally wrong. Just

Based on what the wd40 page says below, it's a difference of opinion
and not a false myth, and calling it a lubricant is not totally wrong
(if it is wrong at all.)

I haven't done studies of most things, but when I use it in key locks
that don't work well, they are usually good for another 5 or 10 years.

the opposite, it removes all oil, grease, water, etc. from wherever it's
used. Look it up.

From their web site; note number 4:
http://www.wd40.com/faqs/#a96

What does WD-40 do?WD-40 fulfills five basic functions:
1. CLEANS: WD-40 gets under dirt, grime and grease to clean. It also
dissolves adhesives, allowing easy removal of labels, tape and excess
bonding material.
2. DISPLACES MOISTU Because WD-40 displaces moisture, it quickly dries
out electrical systems to eliminate moisture-induced short circuits.
3. PENETRATES: WD-40 loosens rust-to-metal bonds and frees stuck, frozen or
rusted metal parts.
4. LUBRICATES: WD-40's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and
tenaciously held to all moving parts.
5. PROTECTS: WD-40 protects metal surfaces with corrosion-resistant
ingredients to shield against moisture and other corrosive elements.

What does WD-40 contain?
While the ingredients in WD-40 are secret, we can tell you what WD-40 does
NOT contain. WD-40 does not contain silicone, kerosene, water, wax,
graphite, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), or any known cancer-causing agents.

Posted to alt.home.repair

?
wrote:

?
"Twayne" wrote

WD-40 is NOT a lubricant! That's an urban myth and totally wrong. Just

Based on what the wd40 page says below, it's a difference of opinion
and not a false myth, and calling it a lubricant is not totally wrong
(if it is wrong at all.)

Every situation has a "best" lubricant. WD-40 is not the best in all cases,
but it is still a lubricant. Water is a lubricant too.