Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter

Default How to Make Square Holes in Aluminum Sheet Metal

I did a basic how-to article for the most recent issue of Make
magazine on "How to Make Square Holes in Aluminum Sheet Metal"
They have it up for free on their website, might be of interest to
some...
http://www.makezine.com/extras/15.html

And yes, there are certainly a lot more ways to make square holes than
shown! They trimmed the web article down to about 5 methods for the
print version, so I doubt I could have put even more methods in...

Nick

I removed the stripper plate and its shaft from one of my two Adel
(Klein) nibblers for finish trimming to the edge of cutouts.

jw

The hand nibbler in that article really sucks. MMC sells it for $21.00.
Don't even think of buying one. Radio Shack (of all places) in the US
(along with many others) sells a far more refined product at half the
price shown in the shot below;

http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/46673191

Trust me on this one, I have both.

Jeff Wisnia

The hand nibbler in that article really sucks. MMC sells it for $21.00.
Don't even think of buying one. Radio Shack (of all places) in the US
(along with many others) sells a far more refined product at half the
price shown in the shot below;

http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/46673191

Trust me on this one, I have both.

Funny, the hand nibbler I've had for over 35 years looks just like the
one you just panned, and it's always done ok by me.

Maybe they made 'em a lot better back then. G

I couldn't resist touring through your photo galleries, you sure do take
GREAT pictures.

Could you please tell me what breed of cat "Plato" is? I ask because
about three years ago an engineer neighbor of mine working at GE's jet
engine division had to go down to San Paulo to integrate one of their
engines into a new commuter plane being built there. He took his wife
and kids with him and asked if we would board their cat for the three
months he expected to be there.

One thing led to another, and they never returned here from Brazil, so
the cat became ours. I've never bothered to find out what breed he is,
but he looks just like Plato. Here's a photo of him. He is facinated to
have been born into an era of industry and uses mechanical assistance to
help him catch mice.

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/temp/mousetrap3.jpg

He can still bring home the bunnies by himself though. SWMBO hit "high
C" last year when she opened the door for him and he trotted in and
dropped this one on her feet:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/t..._and_bunny.jpg

Thanks,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Funny, the hand nibbler I've had for over 35 years looks just like the
one you just panned, and it's always done ok by me.

Well, okay wasn't good enough for me, especially since much better was
half the price. Seriously, MMC should stop selling that POS.

you sure do take GREAT pictures.

Thanks, photography is another hobby of mine.

Could you please tell me what breed of cat "Plato" is?

I haven't the faintest idea, always thought of him as being just a
fluffy tabby. Have to ask my daughter, it's her cat.

I like this one too. Because it doesen't have the U-shaped hold-down

Also, the 35+ year old design leaves a signature that shouts "A NIBBLER
WUZ HERE" even after filing and sanding/brushing. With the new ones,
even on aluminum, there are no leftover telltale scrapes and deep
abrasions on either side of the work piece to worry about. It's as
though a sharp punch or minature shear press was used.

Not really, that's part of why I remove it on the nibbler used for
trimming a rough opening to the finish line. The nibbler with the
U-shaped stripper plate left on cuts out the rough opening because the
modified one jams in a slot.

jw

Wouldn't a layer of masking tape keep that from happening?
Or mylar, etc?

Three or four layers perhaps. Looks like that design was such a bright
idea 35+ years ago that it was treated as a "gift horse".

I haven't the faintest idea, always thought of him as being just a
fluffy tabby. Have to ask my daughter, it's her cat.

Daughter came by today and confirmed that Plato was a Maine Coon so
more than likely "Brazil" is too. Two shots of Plato;

http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/47292473
http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/47668246

Jeff Wisnia

I haven't the faintest idea, always thought of him as being just a
fluffy tabby. Have to ask my daughter, it's her cat.

Daughter came by today and confirmed that Plato was a Maine Coon so
more than likely "Brazil" is too. Two shots of Plato;

http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/47292473
http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/47668246

Well, Plato and Darwin sure look "close enuf for guvment work."

Thanks.

I'll go with the Maine Coon cat label. Which makes sense since Maine is
the next state north of here.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Aluminum wiring... Roy Metalworking 15 February 20th 05 07:20 PM
Cutting or punching square holes in steel sheet? Q Metalworking 17 February 9th 04 05:38 PM
Metal working tools for sheet metal... slightly different take than usual John Kelly Metalworking 0 November 12th 03 01:06 PM
cutting sheet metal with circular saw???? Roy Jenson Metalworking 3 August 31st 03 05:11 PM