Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Brand Recommendations For Bathroom Faucet ?

Hi,

Have to replace my bathroom sink two handled Chrome faucet.

Are there any general conclusions as to which brands are "best" ?

I see HD and Lowes seem to carry

American Standard
Delta
Price Pfister
etc.

and, an Aqua something which might be a house brand ?

Would like to keep the cost to below $ 65.

Reputation wise, how do they stack up ?

Or, do they all come out of China these days with cheap plastic parts,
and are pretty much the same ?

Opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message
Hi,

Have to replace my bathroom sink two handled Chrome faucet.

Are there any general conclusions as to which brands are "best" ?

I see HD and Lowes seem to carry

American Standard
Delta
Price Pfister
etc.

and, an Aqua something which might be a house brand ?

Would like to keep the cost to below $ 65.

Reputation wise, how do they stack up ?

Or, do they all come out of China these days with cheap plastic parts,
and are pretty much the same ?

Opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

I am a big fan of Delta. I use them in all the houses I own.

Good quality at a decent price. Not as good as they formerly were but then
nothing is as good.

The seats and springs are cheap to replace when the time finally comes and
they last a long time between changes.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 30, 2:42*pm, Bob wrote:
Hi,

Have to replace my bathroom sink two handled Chrome faucet.

Are there any general conclusions as to which brands are "best" ?

I see HD and Lowes seem to carry

American Standard
Delta
Price Pfister
etc.

and, an Aqua something which might be a house brand ?

Would like to keep the cost to below $ 65.

Reputation wise, how do they stack up ?

Or, do they all come out of China these days with cheap plastic parts,
and are pretty much the same ?

Opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

You're not going to find anything reliable for less than $91.00. If
you're serious about going that high let me know and I will remommend
some for you.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dss dss is offline

Bob,

If you're going to put it in yourself, open the box in the store and
look at the hardware. I got the house brand at Home Depot for my
kitchen and the connections were very short and difficult to get
connected. Most of the other brands were much better engineered and
easier to hook up.

It may not be such a big deal with one for the bathroom, but it's
worth a look before you buy so you know what you're dealing with.

Good luck.

dss
Posted to alt.home.repair

Colbyt wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

When I had this house built in 1994 I specified all Delta fixtures.
So far so good. Not a single problem yet. Knocking on the wood!
Only plumbing related item I replaced couple time is flapper in the
toilet water tank, ISE garburater in the kitchen sink which was a
easy job.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 30, 4:42*pm, Bob wrote:
Hi,

Have to replace my bathroom sink two handled Chrome faucet.

Are there any general conclusions as to which brands are "best" ?

I see HD and Lowes seem to carry

American Standard
Delta
Price Pfister
etc.

and, an Aqua something which might be a house brand ?

Would like to keep the cost to below $ 65.

Reputation wise, how do they stack up ?

Or, do they all come out of China these days with cheap plastic parts,
and are pretty much the same ?

Opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Remember that taking out the entire sink makes installing the faucets
a real easy job. While you're at it install 1/4 turn ball valves and
braided hoses for hook up. Also the drain system may be overdue for
renewal which will be nice when your el cheapo faucet fails in a year
or two.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/30/2011 7:17 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Colbyt wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

I have Delta in some rooms and Kohler in others. The Kohler stuff cost
me several hundred dollars per sink / shower whereas the Delta was way
below half that price.

The Deltas have, as Tony reports, held up amazingly well for 15 + years.
The Kohlers have failed over and over again despite their claims of no
maintenance ceramic valves.

I would always buy Delta in the future based on my experiences.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message
Hi,

Have to replace my bathroom sink two handled Chrome faucet.

Are there any general conclusions as to which brands are "best" ?

I see HD and Lowes seem to carry

American Standard
Delta
Price Pfister
etc.

and, an Aqua something which might be a house brand ?

Would like to keep the cost to below $ 65.

Reputation wise, how do they stack up ?

Or, do they all come out of China these days with cheap plastic parts,
and are pretty much the same ?

Opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

As of Friday, I was asking the same question and thus, asked my plumber
co-worker who indicated Delta.

In my case, I ended up buying the cheaper Lowes Aquasource because we plan
to redo the bathroom in the near future and I didn't want to spend the money
on a nicer faucet only to want a different design later. The Aquasource is a
nice looking faucet (though mostly plastic) and I installed in less than 5
minutes. Hell, it took longer to empty out the vanity under the sink.
Anyway, if you're planning to keep the faucet for a long time with your
current decor, spend for a Delta. It will be my choice when we remodel our
bath.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 17:42:25 -0500, Bob wrote:

Hi,

Have to replace my bathroom sink two handled Chrome faucet.

Are there any general conclusions as to which brands are "best" ?

I see HD and Lowes seem to carry

American Standard
Delta
Price Pfister
etc.

and, an Aqua something which might be a house brand ?

Would like to keep the cost to below $ 65.

Reputation wise, how do they stack up ?

Or, do they all come out of China these days with cheap plastic parts,
and are pretty much the same ?

Opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Personally, I won't use anything but Price Pfister any more.
Their ceramic cartridge design is far superior to most others as no
torque is transmited through the cartridge - the stops are on the top.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message
Hi,

Have to replace my bathroom sink two handled Chrome faucet.

Are there any general conclusions as to which brands are "best" ?

I see HD and Lowes seem to carry

American Standard
Delta
Price Pfister
etc.

and, an Aqua something which might be a house brand ?

Would like to keep the cost to below $ 65.

How did you come up with the $65 price?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 30, 7:34*pm, Joe wrote:
On Jan 30, 4:42*pm, Bob wrote:

[...]

So you would advise unsoldering the angle stops and soldering on the
new ball valves?

Not disagreeing, just asking. I have an older house and some of the
angle stops will not shut off fully. But these are very tight spaces
and it doesn't look easy to replace them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/30/2011 5:42 PM, Bob wrote:
Hi,

Have to replace my bathroom sink two handled Chrome faucet.

Are there any general conclusions as to which brands are "best" ?

I see HD and Lowes seem to carry

American Standard
Delta
Price Pfister
etc.

and, an Aqua something which might be a house brand ?

Would like to keep the cost to below $ 65.

Reputation wise, how do they stack up ?

Or, do they all come out of China these days with cheap plastic parts,
and are pretty much the same ?

Opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

As others have said, Delta and Kohler are good. In the lower price
line is Moen and they are usually pretty good. Others in this forum
have talked about Moen's great customer service. I put Kohler in my
new house 1 1/2 years ago, not because of any brand loyalty, but
because they had the brushed satin finish and this model has a high
spout. We really like the higher spout ... it just gives a little
more room for hand washing and filling a glass.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Art Todesco" wrote in message
On 1/30/2011 5:42 PM, Bob wrote:
[...]

Moen is not a "lower price line" brand. They have models which are all over
the place in terms of price, just like Delta and Kohler.

Posted to alt.home.repair
zek zek is offline

On Jan 30, 5:42*pm, Bob wrote:
Hi,

Have to replace my bathroom sink two handled Chrome faucet.

Are there any general conclusions as to which brands are "best" ?

I see HD and Lowes seem to carry

American Standard
Delta
Price Pfister
etc.

and, an Aqua something which might be a house brand ?

Would like to keep the cost to below $ 65.

Reputation wise, how do they stack up ?

Or, do they all come out of China these days with cheap plastic parts,
and are pretty much the same ?

Opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

I like Peerless.two handle faucets for the money.

greg
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 30, 9:59*pm, TimR wrote:

snip

So you would advise unsoldering the angle stops and soldering on the
new ball valves?

Not disagreeing, just asking. *I have an older house and some of the
angle stops will not shut off fully. *But these are very tight spaces
and it doesn't look easy to replace them.

Any time you have a chance to get rid of older type stop valves it is
prudent to do so. It doesn't get any easier if you delay, so why wait?

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi,

Have to replace my bathroom sink two handled Chrome faucet.

Are there any general conclusions as to which brands are "best" ?

I see HD and Lowes seem to carry

American Standard
Delta
Price Pfister
etc.

and, an Aqua something which might be a house brand ?

Would like to keep the cost to below $ 65.

Reputation wise, how do they stack up ?

Or, do they all come out of China these days with cheap plastic parts,
and are pretty much the same ?

Opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Buy a Moen, and walk away from it for ten or fifteen years, then just buy a
drop in ceramic cartridge. I have built five homes, and NEVER fixed a Moen.
Yet, anyway. Have gone through those others you mentioned, a Price Pfister
on a kitchen faucet in a vacation rental THREE TIMES.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
Download the book.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 19:59:38 -0800 (PST), TimR
wrote:

On Jan 30, 7:34Â*pm, Joe wrote:

[...]

Definitely. The old angle stops will eventually leak as well as not
shutting off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"zek" wrote in message
On Jan 30, 5:42 pm, Bob wrote:
Hi,

Have to replace my bathroom sink two handled Chrome faucet.

Are there any general conclusions as to which brands are "best" ?

I see HD and Lowes seem to carry

American Standard
Delta
Price Pfister
etc.

and, an Aqua something which might be a house brand ?

Would like to keep the cost to below $ 65.

Reputation wise, how do they stack up ?

Or, do they all come out of China these days with cheap plastic parts,
and are pretty much the same ?

Opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

I like Peerless.two handle faucets for the money.

greg

** Just in case you don't know, Peerless is made by Delta. What corners may
be cut I can't tell you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Bob typed:
:: Hi,
::
[...]

Delta is great; up to the most recent specs too as a rule; e.g. anti-scald
valve included. Aqua-whatever I think is OK too; used in laundry room & fine
for the few years it's been in but normally use Delta.

HTH,

Twayne`