Posted to alt.home.repair

Default No Water From Well

Last night as soon as I was all soaped up in the shower the water
stopped. Not really asking any questions, I've troubleshooted it to the
pump, power going down and I hear a hum but no water, not even after it
sat turned off for 8 hours. I think it's about 700' down so it takes a
small crane to pull it. They are coming out on a Saturday and wanted to
remind me that the rate is higher on Saturdays. Damn I like this small
company... $75/hour on weekends. $60/hour weekdays. And I believe that
is with TWO men! They were out here 4 or so years ago during the week
fixing some lightning fried wires at $60/hour with 2 men.

Wish me luck. I guess I'm already lucky with 2 skilled men for $75/hour.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/29/2011 1:53 PM, Tony Miklos wrote:
Last night as soon as I was all soaped up in the shower the water
stopped. Not really asking any questions, I've troubleshooted it to the
pump, power going down and I hear a hum but no water, not even after it
sat turned off for 8 hours. I think it's about 700' down so it takes a
small crane to pull it. They are coming out on a Saturday and wanted to
remind me that the rate is higher on Saturdays. Damn I like this small
company... $75/hour on weekends. $60/hour weekdays. And I believe that
is with TWO men! They were out here 4 or so years ago during the week
fixing some lightning fried wires at $60/hour with 2 men.

Wish me luck. I guess I'm already lucky with 2 skilled men for $75/hour.

Mine went out a few weeks ago. Motor going bad, drew too much current
and would shut off if high demand. Fortunately I could get enough water
to see through weekend. Pump and motor warranty were separate so it did
not cost an arm and a leg - just an arm
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
[...]

So how many years did it last to just give me an idea how long to expect
mine to last.

--
LSMFT

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Posted to alt.home.repair

LSMFT wrote:

So how many years did it last to just give me an idea how long to expect
mine to last.

My well guy said to expect 10 years, if you are lucky 20 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/29/2011 4:16 PM, LSMFT wrote:
Frank wrote:
[...]

I've been here 35 years and this is the third time well has needed work
but, original pump lasted ~ 25 years, replacement lasted about 7 years
and its only been little over 3 years til this incident. Also during
time period, I had to replace pressure tank twice. In spite of these
costs, well has probably been cheaper than municipal water if available.

Other poster mentioned 10 years and from my experience and observation
of neighbors, I'd say, that's about right.

For op, our development on one acre lots, has houses close enough to run
hose from outdoor faucet to outdoor faucet for water when well has problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/29/2011 1:53 PM, Tony Miklos wrote:
Last night as soon as I was all soaped up in the shower the water
stopped. Not really asking any questions, I've troubleshooted it to the
pump, power going down and I hear a hum but no water, not even after it
sat turned off for 8 hours. I think it's about 700' down so it takes a
small crane to pull it. They are coming out on a Saturday and wanted to
remind me that the rate is higher on Saturdays. Damn I like this small
company... $75/hour on weekends. $60/hour weekdays. And I believe that
is with TWO men! They were out here 4 or so years ago during the week
fixing some lightning fried wires at $60/hour with 2 men.

Wish me luck. I guess I'm already lucky with 2 skilled men for $75/hour.

I have water again! Turns out it was down 460'. They installed a
Goulds 10LS15422 which is 10GPM 1.5HP not sure what else that means but
I think it's all Stainless Steel.

This place shows it with a $1176 price tag!

http://www.2mco.com/catalog/2m/goulds/ls.php

I'm sure there are cheaper places. Mine cost $825. Also replaced a
brass bushing, 1 check valve, 8 galvanized couplers, cable gaurds.
Total was $1245.52 about what I expected.

I didn't realize what was happening, but lately when running the hose,
(the outside spigot is large and is fed by a 1" main) after the pump
kicked on the pressure was still dropping until the tank bladder
bottomed out, then it had less flow. When the new pump kicks in the
flow from the hose instantly increases.

The old pump was about 13 years old and was a Myers Rustler. The
"Rustler" series is Myers cheaper line of pumps.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
[...]

As a kid we did that for our neighbor once. Just guessing at the
distance here... maybe 800 to 1200 feet? I'm sure I'd get good
pressure because they are about 100' above me! Anyway, it's all fixed
now, about 18 hours down time isn't bad since it's just me and I have
keys to my girlfriends house if I needed to finish my shower.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
[...]

keys to my girlfriends house if I needed to finish my shower.- Hide quoted text -

Did they really only charge $75 per hour for their time, and 2 persons
total for the $75?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Miklos wrote:

[...]

Probably 10 years ago I had to replace the well pump at my mother's
house, in winter of course. I replaced it with an all stainless Gould
also, I believe a 1/2HP version which was about $400 at my favorite
supply house. A stainless adapter nipple to go to the ABS down pipe, a
new well cap and a submersible splice kit rounded it out for about $500
total. This well is under 100', so it was easy enough to pull the pump
by myself. The previous pump lasted around 25 years or so, hopefully
this nice stainless one will be the same.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
[...]

My parents had a deep well with the pump in the basement. When it went
bad my father would go to the hardware store, buy a new pump and install
it himself. Although his foot valve (one way valve) was under the
driveway and had to have that replace a couple of times. There is no
reason not to have the one way valve in the basement too.
When mine goes bad I'm changing it over to have the pump and foot valve
in the basement. That way I don't have to hire two people at $75 an hour
to bring up a pump and replace it.
Technology is supposed to make your life easier, not more difficult.
Can anybody think of an advantage of putting a pump in the bottom of a
well with 400 feet of wire to run it?

--
LSMFT

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Posted to alt.home.repair

?
"LSMFT" wrote

My parents had a deep well with the pump in the basement. When it went
bad my father would go to the hardware store, buy a new pump and install
it himself. Although his foot valve (one way valve) was under the
driveway and had to have that replace a couple of times. There is no
reason not to have the one way valve in the basement too.
When mine goes bad I'm changing it over to have the pump and foot valve
in the basement. That way I don't have to hire two people at $75 an hour
to bring up a pump and replace it.

Foot valve not at the foot? How is the pump going to prime?
Posted to alt.home.repair

LSMFT wrote:

Frank wrote:
[...]

The basement located jet pumps aren't very popular these days, just for
some relatively shallow wells. Submersible pumps are preferred in most
cases. With a submersible pump you only need one down pipe in the well,
they are silent since the pump is 100'+ underground, and they don't have
priming of cavitation issues generally. The motors are also liquid
cooled, so they tend to be higher performance as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

LSMFT wrote:

Frank wrote:
[...]

One advantage of a pump at the bottom is that it works. If a pump at the
top puts a perfect vacuum on the pipe down the well you can only get the
water to lift 32 feet - a little sort of the 400 ft required. You can
use a jet pump, with 2 pipes down the well and the jet at the bottom.
You can put the pump at the bottom with a 400 foot shaft to a motor on
the top. Or you can use a submersible pump that pumps the water 400 feet
up from the bottom.

--
bud--

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
[...]

Yes, sort of. The 2nd man was about an hour late. The bill shows 3
hours labor at $75/hour, total labor $225. There was actually a total
of almost 6 man hours, not counting the time to go back to the shop and
get a different pump then what they brought.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/30/2011 5:01 AM, harry wrote:
On Jan 29, 6:53 pm, Tony wrote:
Last night as soon as I was all soaped up in the shower the water
stopped. Not really asking any questions, I've troubleshooted it to the
pump, power going down and I hear a hum but no water, not even after it
sat turned off for 8 hours. I think it's about 700' down so it takes a
small crane to pull it. They are coming out on a Saturday and wanted to
remind me that the rate is higher on Saturdays. Damn I like this small
company... $75/hour on weekends. $60/hour weekdays. And I believe that
is with TWO men! They were out here 4 or so years ago during the week
fixing some lightning fried wires at $60/hour with 2 men.

Wish me luck. I guess I'm already lucky with 2 skilled men for $75/hour.

There are two ways of suspending submersible pumps.
On a rigid steel pipe. These are a problem to "uninstall"
On a stainless steel wire rope, with a flexible plastic pipe.
These can be hauled out with a vehicle with a tow hitch. A gadget with
a pulley wheel is needed at the well head. You could probably make
one up.

Here is a third way. Use 20' sections of schedule 80 PVC.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
[...]

get a different pump then what they brought.- Hide quoted text -

That's a great company to recommend to others.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
?
"LSMFT" wrote

My parents had a deep well with the pump in the basement. When it went
bad my father would go to the hardware store, buy a new pump and
install it himself. Although his foot valve (one way valve) was under
the driveway and had to have that replace a couple of times. There is
no reason not to have the one way valve in the basement too.
When mine goes bad I'm changing it over to have the pump and foot
valve in the basement. That way I don't have to hire two people at $75
an hour to bring up a pump and replace it.

Foot valve not at the foot? How is the pump going to prime?

Priming is no problem, it's holding the prime which is what a one way
valve does. Otherwise you'd have to prime it every time it starts if air
leaked in and let the water fall back down the well.

--
LSMFT

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Posted to alt.home.repair

LSMFT wrote:

Frank wrote:
[...]

Yep. You will pull a vacuum when de distance becomes greater
than 10 meters(~12 yards).
Or you need a 400 feet pump piston going up/down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bud-- wrote:
LSMFT wrote:

Frank wrote:
[...]

You can lift water more than 32 feet once the pump is primed and all the
air is out of the pipe.

--
LSMFT

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Posted to alt.home.repair

LSMFT wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
?
"LSMFT" wrote

My parents had a deep well with the pump in the basement. When it went
bad my father would go to the hardware store, buy a new pump and
install it himself. Although his foot valve (one way valve) was under
the driveway and had to have that replace a couple of times. There is
no reason not to have the one way valve in the basement too.
When mine goes bad I'm changing it over to have the pump and foot
valve in the basement. That way I don't have to hire two people at $75
an hour to bring up a pump and replace it.

Foot valve not at the foot? How is the pump going to prime?

Priming is no problem, it's holding the prime which is what a one way
valve does. Otherwise you'd have to prime it every time it starts if air
leaked in and let the water fall back down the well.

Ignore me, I just got re-educated.

--
LSMFT

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 14:26:52 -0700, Robert Neville wrote:

LSMFT wrote:

So how many years did it last to just give me an idea how long to expect
mine to last.

My well guy said to expect 10 years, if you are lucky 20 years.

I'm lucky in having a surface-mounted jet pump, I suppose. Motor was
manufactured in 1977 - not sure if the pump is as old, but I know the
well was put in sometime around 1985 (may have been '86) so I assume it's
got a fair few hours on the clock, too.

I really should to add some lube to the bearings (no idea when it was
last done; we've only been here three years) but the wick's missing from
the little oil filler at the motor's tail end - anyone know if I can just
drop a couple of drops of oil down the hole and call it good? It's not
obvious how to lube the front bearing of the motor, either - there's no
obvious oiling point on the motor itself, but there is a tiny brass screw
on the attached pump casing - perhaps this hides an oil passage down to
the bearing (or alternatively maybe I'll remove it and get water shooting
into my face ;-)

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
[...]

I do recommend them whenever I can. I had them out here about 4 years
ago when the circuit breaker would intermittently trip. I looked down
the well at night and saw really cool sparks and wild sounds! They
pulled about another 60 feet past the static level and repaired 3
sections of wire where at sometime lightning hit it and fried the
insulation. They may have changed a fitting or two, and also added
plastic spacers that center the pipe and keep the wire from rubbing
along the side of the well, none had been installed from new. I think
it cost me about $225. I wouldn't even think of doing it myself at that
price.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bud-- wrote:
LSMFT wrote:

Frank wrote:
[...]

Unless the pump at the top is a jet pump operating a jet at the bottom. Then it
can get water from way below 32 feet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote:
On Jan 29, 6:53 pm, Tony wrote:
[...]

I saw a rig that was motor driven two tires rotating with the well pipe
between them pulling it all out. Somebody else was walking the slack
across the lot. One similar to this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB_jzeU1Xgw