Posted to alt.home.repair
LSMFT LSMFT is offline

Default No Water From Well

bud-- wrote:
LSMFT wrote:
hr(bob) wrote:
On Jan 29, 6:13 pm, Tony wrote:
On 1/29/2011 6:36 PM, Frank wrote:

On 1/29/2011 4:16 PM, LSMFT wrote:
Frank wrote:
On 1/29/2011 1:53 PM, Tony Miklos wrote:
Last night as soon as I was all soaped up in the shower the water
stopped. Not really asking any questions, I've troubleshooted it
to the
pump, power going down and I hear a hum but no water, not even
after it
sat turned off for 8 hours. I think it's about 700' down so it
takes a
small crane to pull it. They are coming out on a Saturday and
wanted to
remind me that the rate is higher on Saturdays. Damn I like this
small
company... $75/hour on weekends. $60/hour weekdays. And I
believe that
is with TWO men! They were out here 4 or so years ago during the
week
fixing some lightning fried wires at $60/hour with 2 men.

Wish me luck. I guess I'm already lucky with 2 skilled men for
$75/hour.

Mine went out a few weeks ago. Motor going bad, drew too much
current
and would shut off if high demand. Fortunately I could get enough
water
to see through weekend. Pump and motor warranty were separate so
it did
not cost an arm and a leg - just an arm

So how many years did it last to just give me an idea how long to
expect
mine to last.

I've been here 35 years and this is the third time well has needed
work
but, original pump lasted ~ 25 years, replacement lasted about 7 years
and its only been little over 3 years til this incident. Also during
time period, I had to replace pressure tank twice. In spite of these
costs, well has probably been cheaper than municipal water if
available.

Other poster mentioned 10 years and from my experience and observation
of neighbors, I'd say, that's about right.

For op, our development on one acre lots, has houses close enough
to run
hose from outdoor faucet to outdoor faucet for water when well has
problem.

As a kid we did that for our neighbor once. Just guessing at the
distance here... maybe 800 to 1200 feet? I'm sure I'd get good
pressure because they are about 100' above me! Anyway, it's all fixed
now, about 18 hours down time isn't bad since it's just me and I have
keys to my girlfriends house if I needed to finish my shower.- Hide
quoted text -

Did they really only charge $75 per hour for their time, and 2 persons
total for the $75?

My parents had a deep well with the pump in the basement. When it went
bad my father would go to the hardware store, buy a new pump and
install it himself. Although his foot valve (one way valve) was under
the driveway and had to have that replace a couple of times. There is
no reason not to have the one way valve in the basement too.
When mine goes bad I'm changing it over to have the pump and foot
valve in the basement. That way I don't have to hire two people at $75
an hour to bring up a pump and replace it.
Technology is supposed to make your life easier, not more difficult.

Can anybody think of an advantage of putting a pump in the bottom of a
well with 400 feet of wire to run it?

One advantage of a pump at the bottom is that it works. If a pump at the
top puts a perfect vacuum on the pipe down the well you can only get the
water to lift 32 feet - a little sort of the 400 ft required. You can
use a jet pump, with 2 pipes down the well and the jet at the bottom.
You can put the pump at the bottom with a 400 foot shaft to a motor on
the top. Or you can use a submersible pump that pumps the water 400 feet
up from the bottom.

You can lift water more than 32 feet once the pump is primed and all the
air is out of the pipe.

--
LSMFT

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.