Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hot water

If my boiler water is 200 degrees isn't my domestic water off the coil
also 200 degrees? I've seen hotter water from an electric tank at 120
degrees, or seems so.

--
LSMFT

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The 200 degree home heat, isn't supposed to be poured over
hands, arms, etc. The domestic water is used for bathing,
washing hands, etc. Wouldn't want to scald anyone. Nanny
would be displeased.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"LSMFT" wrote in message
If my boiler water is 200 degrees isn't my domestic water
off the coil
also 200 degrees? I've seen hotter water from an electric
tank at 120
degrees, or seems so.

--
LSMFT

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 9:09*am, LSMFT wrote:
If my boiler water is 200 degrees isn't my domestic water off the coil
also 200 degrees? *I've seen hotter water from an electric tank at 120
degrees, or seems so.

--
LSMFT

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty *nor Safety.

Do you have a storage tank and a recirculating pump to the coil for
your hot water? The thermostat on the storage tank could be set lower.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
The 200 degree home heat, isn't supposed to be poured over
hands, arms, etc. The domestic water is used for bathing,
washing hands, etc. Wouldn't want to scald anyone. Nanny
would be displeased.

Isn't that why there are TWO knobs on the faucet? One to cool the hot water?

--
LSMFT

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Posted to alt.home.repair

?
"LSMFT" wrote in message
If my boiler water is 200 degrees isn't my domestic water off the coil
also 200 degrees? I've seen hotter water from an electric tank at 120
degrees, or seems so.

Mine had two setting and the domestic water was never as hot as the heating
water. Could also be your coil is getting plugged with minerals and losing
efficiency. It has since been replaced though.

You'd fare better with a separate tank for water and not keeping the boiler
on all the time to keep that poorly insulated reservoir hot. My System 2000
comes that way, but an Amtrol Boiler mate can be a good option too. If your
system is 20 or more years old, it can probably be replaced with the savings
on fuel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , LSMFT wrote:
If my boiler water is 200 degrees isn't my domestic water off the coil
also 200 degrees? I've seen hotter water from an electric tank at 120
degrees, or seems so.

200 d F is much hotter tha normally recommened for a residential heating
system boiler. 140 to 170 or 180 is common. Even if the boiler was somehow
set at 200d though, drawing hot water at a high rate, for instance a
wide open bathtub faucet, could exceed the capacity of the supply
coil to heat that volume so the temperature at the faucet would be less
than the boiler setting after a very short time. Sometimes a holding
tank is installed for this reason.

boiler

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 06:57:41 -0800 (PST), jamesgangnc
wrote:

On Jan 24, 9:09*am, LSMFT wrote:
If my boiler water is 200 degrees isn't my domestic water off the coil
also 200 degrees? *I've seen hotter water from an electric tank at 120
degrees, or seems so.

--
LSMFT

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty *nor Safety.

Do you have a storage tank and a recirculating pump to the coil for
your hot water? The thermostat on the storage tank could be set lower.

Neither of our first two houses had a storage tank. The first house had a 5'
run to all of the faucets in the house. Yes, it was *hot* (180F). I would
always tell people to turn the cold water on first.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Jan 24, 9:09*am, LSMFT wrote:
If my boiler water is 200 degrees isn't my domestic water off the coil
also 200 degrees? *I've seen hotter water from an electric tank at 120
degrees, or seems so.

--
LSMFT

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty *nor Safety.

Do you have a storage tank and a recirculating pump to the coil for
your hot water? *The thermostat on the storage tank could be set lower..

Neither of our first two houses had a storage tank. *The first house had a 5'
run to all of the faucets in the house. *Yes, it was *hot* (180F). *I would
always tell people to turn the cold water on first.

Yes, if all you have is a heat exchange it will be really hot
initially and then cool down a bit as it flows. Can't be too hot for
me but all I have is resistive hw heater now and in an effort to keep
the bills down I set them at the middle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 9:09*am, LSMFT wrote:
If my boiler water is 200 degrees isn't my domestic water off the coil
also 200 degrees? *

i'm surprised nobody gave the right answer...no

usually there is a MIXING VLAVE so the water comming out of the coil
may be 200 deg but then it is mixed with cold water before going to
your faucets...

Mark