Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry W Larry W is offline

Default Hot water

In article , LSMFT wrote:
If my boiler water is 200 degrees isn't my domestic water off the coil
also 200 degrees? I've seen hotter water from an electric tank at 120
degrees, or seems so.

200 d F is much hotter tha normally recommened for a residential heating
system boiler. 140 to 170 or 180 is common. Even if the boiler was somehow
set at 200d though, drawing hot water at a high rate, for instance a
wide open bathtub faucet, could exceed the capacity of the supply
coil to heat that volume so the temperature at the faucet would be less
than the boiler setting after a very short time. Sometimes a holding
tank is installed for this reason.

boiler