Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cold caulk

After I read about it here, I bought a tube of 3M Fire Barrier
Sealant, but when I got home and read more I decided it wasn't what I
want.

I put it in the car to take it back and didn't think about
temperature. It was there for 2 days, all of it 30 or below and last
night was 10F.

Am I obliged to keep the stuff and try to find a use for it?

The tube itself says to "store between 40 and 90F for maxmum shelf
life."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 22, 10:07*pm, Ricky wrote:

After I read about it here, I bought a tube of 3M Fire Barrier
Sealant, but when I got home and read more I decided it wasn't what I
want.

I put it in the car to take it back and didn't think about
temperature. *It was there for 2 days, all of it 30 or below and last
night was 10F.

Am I obliged to keep the stuff and try to find a use for it?

The tube itself says to "store between 40 and 90F for maxmum shelf
life."

Whether you intended to or not, the caulk was likely compromised, and
it is a life safety item. You know the store will assume you did the
right thing and didn't damage the caulk, they have no way of telling
what you did or didn't do, and they will put it back on the shelf.
Someone else will buy it. The question is - would you want to be the
guy buying that compromised caulk? Let that guide you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 22:07:30 -0500, Ricky wrote:

After I read about it here, I bought a tube of 3M Fire Barrier
Sealant, but when I got home and read more I decided it wasn't what I
want.

I put it in the car to take it back and didn't think about
temperature. It was there for 2 days, all of it 30 or below and last
night was 10F.

Am I obliged to keep the stuff and try to find a use for it?

The tube itself says to "store between 40 and 90F for maxmum shelf
life."

Your caulk shrunk in the cold.

--
"Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies
the

1/22/2011 10:31:18 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ricky wrote in
:

After I read about it here, I bought a tube of 3M Fire Barrier
Sealant, but when I got home and read more I decided it wasn't what I
want.

I put it in the car to take it back and didn't think about
temperature. It was there for 2 days, all of it 30 or below and last
night was 10F.

Am I obliged to keep the stuff and try to find a use for it?

The tube itself says to "store between 40 and 90F for maxmum shelf
life."

Would you buy it knowing what it's been subject to? Would you want to buy
it not knowing it was subject to that?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 22, 7:26*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Jan 22, 10:07*pm, Ricky wrote:

[...]

I wholeheartedly agree with Rico's & Red Green's comments.......
returning potentially compromised material (especially something like
a fire protection product) is unethical.

But here the are the "Storage Conditions" from the 3M product
information

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...6EVs6E666666--

5. Packaging, Storage, Shelf Life

Packaging Product packaged in cartridge or pail is enclosed in HDPE
plastic containers, sausage is packaged in aluminum foil wrap
Storage 3M™Fire Barrier Sealant CP 25WB+ should be stored indoors
in dry conditions between 40°F and 90°F (4°C and
32°C) in the original unopened package. Avoid repeated
freeze / thaw exposures of the 3M™ Fire Barrier Sealant
CP 25WB+ prior to installation.

Shelf Life 3M Fire Barrier Sealant CP 25WB+ shelf life is 12
months in original unopened containers from date of packaging
when stored above 68°F (2°C).

the operative phrase is " Avoid repeated freeze / thaw exposures of
the 3M™ Fire Barrier Sealant CP 25WB+ prior to installation."

Looks like you're home free with only a single freeze thaw cycle.
What's expiration date or date of mfg?

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/22/2011 9:07 PM, Ricky wrote:
After I read about it here, I bought a tube of 3M Fire Barrier
Sealant, but when I got home and read more I decided it wasn't what I
want.

I put it in the car to take it back and didn't think about
temperature. It was there for 2 days, all of it 30 or below and last
night was 10F.

Am I obliged to keep the stuff and try to find a use for it?

The tube itself says to "store between 40 and 90F for maxmum shelf
life."

It may have water in it, I just used a tube a couple of days ago and
was able to wash it off my hands with plain water. I don't know if
freezing will break it down or not but the trailer it's shipped to
the supplier in is not heated and I'm sure it gets below freezing when
shipped in the winter months.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 22, 10:07*pm, Ricky wrote:

[...]

That was my first reaction. But then it occurred to me that maybe
people who actually knew would say that it truly doesn't matter, that
they are good down to -20, and shelf life is the same. In the same
way someone asked about the warnings "California has determined that
ingredients in this product may be dangerous to your health". I
hadn't seen that at the time, but I recently bought a little bag of
little plumbing parts, all of them copper. They're not dangerous, but
it seems they include the ingredients warning on almost everything
now.

So of course I will do the right thing, or I wouldn't have bothered to
ask. I just thought it conceivable that I had done no harm.

I wrote this and then DD_ replied to you:

[...]

That's what it says, but fwiw, 68F isn't 2C. I think they do mean
68F.

the operative phrase is " Avoid repeated freeze / thaw exposures of
the 3M™ Fire Barrier Sealant CP 25WB+ prior to installation."

It turns out that it is 3M™ Fire Barrier Sealant IC 15WB+ but
inspired by you, I looked for that product sheet and it is word for
word the same as th eone you found.

Looks like you're home free with only a single freeze thaw cycle.

It's getting there. What do other people think?

What's expiration date or date of mfg?

Hard to read: 0_IARN maybe. That would mean
2010 and the next 3 characters are supposed to be
numbers, so I can't tell at all. But most of 2010 was less than a year
ago. If it were about to expire anyhow, that would get me off the
hook, but if it's not, does that mean anything?

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 04:21:59 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

Ricky wrote in
:

After I read about it here, I bought a tube of 3M Fire Barrier
Sealant, but when I got home and read more I decided it wasn't what I
want.

I put it in the car to take it back and didn't think about
temperature. It was there for 2 days, all of it 30 or below and last
night was 10F.

Am I obliged to keep the stuff and try to find a use for it?

The tube itself says to "store between 40 and 90F for maxmum shelf
life."

Would you buy it knowing what it's been subject to? Would you want to buy
it not knowing it was subject to that?

I'm not the right one to ask. I make a point to buy dented cans and
damaged packages so the stores won't loose money, so that society
won't waste resources. In this case, if I knew it was out in the cold
for 2 days, I might well buy it. Especially after DD_'s and Dufas's
posts.

Dented, not bulging, which tends to mean that poison is growing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
[...]

Ya might try calling 3M customer care,
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...orp/Contact3M/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/23/2011 9:19 AM, FatterDumber& Happier Moe wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
[...]

I have no reason to contact 3M, I'm completely satisfied with the
performance of the product. :-)

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Would you buy it knowing what it's been subject to? Would you want to buy
it not knowing it was subject to that?

I'm not the right one to ask. *I make a point to buy dented cans and
damaged packages so the stores won't loose money, so that society
won't waste resources.

Hmmm. Most people do that to save money. Do you pay full price?

I do appreciate your thinking, though. And I do appreciate that you
cared enough about the caulk to ask the question.

In this case, if I knew it was out in the cold
for 2 days, I might well buy it. *Especially after DD_'s and Dufas's
posts.

Bob's comment that you're home free is assuming that the caulk wasn't
already exposed to repeated freezing, and, again, that's something you
don't know. All you do know is that you subjected it to one hard
freeze and increased the odds of there being a problem. It's a latex
caulk, so you could find a place to use it up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
[...]

Call them anyway and ask for some coupons for something.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ricky" wrote in message
After I read about it here, I bought a tube of 3M Fire Barrier
Sealant, but when I got home and read more I decided it wasn't what I
want.

I put it in the car to take it back and didn't think about
temperature. It was there for 2 days, all of it 30 or below and last
night was 10F.

Am I obliged to keep the stuff and try to find a use for it?

The tube itself says to "store between 40 and 90F for maxmum shelf
life."

I posted recently about microwaving cold caulk. It was suggested that I put
it in warm water for a while. Then someone found a site that said plainly
that it could be microwaved for about 30 seconds. I'd let it get room
temperature, see if that works, and inspect for any foil, and if none is
found, microwave the room temperature caulk for 15 seconds, and then try
that. Freezing may have affected it on a nonrepairable basis. You just
have to get it warm and try it. Maybe it will work. At worst, you lose $5,
and gain the experience of keeping your caulk warm.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Shelf Life 3M Fire Barrier Sealant CP 25WB+ shelf life is 12
months in original unopened containers from date of packaging
when stored above 68°F (2°C).

reply:

Some analysis. 2C=35.6F. I thought that was wrong, as 0C is 32F, and 2
isn't far above that.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"FatterDumber& Happier Moe" wrote
Ya might try calling 3M customer care,
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...orp/Contact3M/

Dollar to a donut hole I bet they tell you to buy more caulk.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/23/2011 10:53 AM, Steve B wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

When your caulk gets cold, doesn't it shrivel up? :-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 23, 12:56*am, DD_BobK wrote:

snip

Shelf Life * * * * * * * 3M *Fire Barrier Sealant CP 25WB+ shelf life is 12
months in original unopened containers from date of packaging
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * when stored above 68°F (2°C).

snip

An obvious misprint: 20 degrees C = 68 degrees F.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 23, 2:59*pm, Joe wrote:
On Jan 23, 12:56*am, DD_BobK wrote:

snip
Shelf Life * * * * * * * 3M *Fire Barrier Sealant CP 25WB+ shelf life is 12
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *months in original unopened containers from date of packaging
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * when stored above 68°F (2°C).
snip

An obvious misprint: 20 degrees C = 68 degrees F.

Yes, we all realize that. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote

When your caulk gets cold, doesn't it shrivel up? :-)

TDD

It's like the answer to "Do you smoke after sex?"

Don't know. Never looked.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 19:26:36 -0800 (PST), RicodJour
wrote:

On Jan 22, 10:07*pm, Ricky wrote:

[...]

That was my first reaction. I only posted on the possibility that
people who actually knew would say that it truly doesn't matter, that
they are good down to -20, and shelf life is the same. In the same
way someone asked about the warnings "California has determined that
ingredients in this product may be dangerous to your health". I
hadn't seen that at the time, but I recently bought a little bag of
little plumbing parts, all of them copper. They're not dangerous, but
it seems they include the ingredients warning on almost everything
now.

So of course I will do the right thing, or I wouldn't have bothered to
ask. I just thought it conceivable that I had done no harm.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 07:40:48 -0800 (PST), RicodJour
wrote:

I'm also mailing a copy because this thread is so old, I don't know if
you'll seen it on home repair.

wrote:

Would you buy it knowing what it's been subject to? Would you want to buy
it not knowing it was subject to that?

I'm not the right one to ask. *I make a point to buy dented cans and
damaged packages so the stores won't loose money, so that society
won't waste resources.

Hmmm. Most people do that to save money. Do you pay full price?

I'm happy to save money, and I look at the discount rack, but if it's
in the rest of the store, at full price, I'll still do it.

It's been a long time. I may have started on purpose, or maybe when
the only can they had was dented, or a box was unglued at the top but
the cellophane or whatever was sealed, or when I didn't notice this
and the cashier pointed it out, I didn't want to leave the checkout
line and rush around, and I thought, Heck, it's okay anyhow. After I
did it, I felt like I had accomplished two things, gotten the food and
saved it from destruction, so for 10 or more years I've made a point,
not to buy something I wasnt' going to buy, but to buy what I intended
in damaged packaging.

I'll buy something I wasn't going to buy but might like if the price
is reduced enough. On the discount rack here, it's marked at 50% off.

I do appreciate your thinking, though. And I do appreciate that you
cared enough about the caulk to ask the question.

In this case, if I knew it was out in the cold
for 2 days, I might well buy it. *Especially after DD_'s and Dufas's
posts.

Bob's comment that you're home free is assuming that the caulk wasn't
already exposed to repeated freezing, and, again, that's something you
don't know.

True.

All you do know is that you subjected it to one hard
freeze and increased the odds of there being a problem. It's a latex
caulk, so you could find a place to use it up.

Well, I don't do that much and I have 90% of the tube left that I did
use, the similar product (fire block instead of fire barrier), also by
3M, so I probably never will use the unopened tube.

I haven't called 3M for their advice yet. It's always the weekend or
late when I think of it, but I'm keeping the tube warm and cozy, under
a baby blanket.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 12:57*pm, Ricky wrote:
On Sat, 22 Jan 2011, RicodJour wrote:
On Jan 22, 10:07*pm, Ricky wrote:

After I read about it here, I bought a tube of 3M Fire Barrier
Sealant, but when I got home and read more I decided it wasn't what I
want.

I put it in the car to take it back and didn't think about
temperature. *It was there for 2 days, all of it 30 or below and last
night was 10F.

Am I obliged to keep the stuff and try to find a use for it?

The tube itself says to "store between 40 and 90F for maximum shelf
[...]

That is another one in my long line of crusades. If people are warned
about everything, they'll feel nothing is safe, which of course is and
isn't true, but the over-riding point is that it makes people's
perceived quality of life go down and with no appreciable benefit.

A girlfriend had her sister and BIL the cop remonstrating with her to
change her voicemail so it wouldn't be a woman's voice who lives
alone. WTF? Yeah, the bad guys are just calling around at random to
see if her _answering_ machine picks up. What happens if she picks
up? Does that mean she lives with someone? Idiots giving advice
based on some bull**** and scaring people for no reason. I told her
to have the cop call me and I'd point out in three or four sentences
why on this particular topic he has no fookin' clue what he's talking
about.

Another one - "Don't talk to strangers!" If some kid comes up to me
and needs help, they're getting it. And not the run of the mill I'll
point you in the right direction kind of help, but the sorry gotta go
I'm seeing this kid safely home help. Most people would be like
that. Your average stranger is a good person, and scaring kids into
thinking that all strangers are dangerous is one of the most stupid
things I can think of. It messes up the kids, messes up the future
and messes up everybody's life for a long time.

So of course I will do the right thing, or I wouldn't have bothered to
ask. *I just thought it conceivable that I had done no harm. *

Of course the odds of the caulk being ruined are not knowable, but a
hard freeze definitely 'damaged' the caulk to some degree. It's one
of those I'll take the hit for the peace of mind things. A few bucks,
and you know you did the right thing. You'll sleep better, and, after
all it is latex caulk and using it in a non-critical application would
probably be just fine. It's when people make choices for the other
guy that they really have no business making that things get sticky
ethically.

So sleep well tonight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
RicodJour wrote:

Another one - "Don't talk to strangers!" If some kid comes up to me
and needs help, they're getting it. And not the run of the mill I'll
point you in the right direction kind of help, but the sorry gotta go
I'm seeing this kid safely home help. Most people would be like
that. Your average stranger is a good person, and scaring kids into
thinking that all strangers are dangerous is one of the most stupid
things I can think of. It messes up the kids, messes up the future
and messes up everybody's life for a long time.

A-fukin'-men on that. That one has been a pet peeve of mine forever.