Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cold caulk

On 1/23/2011 10:53 AM, Steve B wrote:
wrote in message
After I read about it here, I bought a tube of 3M Fire Barrier
Sealant, but when I got home and read more I decided it wasn't what I
want.

I put it in the car to take it back and didn't think about
temperature. It was there for 2 days, all of it 30 or below and last
night was 10F.

Am I obliged to keep the stuff and try to find a use for it?

The tube itself says to "store between 40 and 90F for maxmum shelf
life."

I posted recently about microwaving cold caulk. It was suggested that I put
it in warm water for a while. Then someone found a site that said plainly
that it could be microwaved for about 30 seconds. I'd let it get room
temperature, see if that works, and inspect for any foil, and if none is
found, microwave the room temperature caulk for 15 seconds, and then try
that. Freezing may have affected it on a nonrepairable basis. You just
have to get it warm and try it. Maybe it will work. At worst, you lose $5,
and gain the experience of keeping your caulk warm.

Steve

When your caulk gets cold, doesn't it shrivel up? :-)

TDD