Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet troubles

There is a toilet which doesn't flush solid waste fully. It just swirls in
the bowl without much going down the drain. (Thge same thing happens if
there is no solid waste in the bowl-the water swirls and while some goes
down the drain, the bowl doesn't empty as is normal). It worked better
before and is about 20 years old, though I can't find the date inside the
tank. The other drains in the bathroom and kitchen (which is nearby) are
ok. There is about a 5-7 foot run from the toilet drain to the septic
tank.

The small filler hole (I don't know what else to call it) that is at the
bottom of the bowl, right where the drain portion begins, appears to be
"salted up", that is it looks as if it is partially blocked, most likely
by growth of "salts" or other precipitation from the water/waste
combination. Is this the likely cause of poor flow?

I propose to test the main drain line by pulling the toilet, and pouring a
bucket of water down the drain. If this tests ok is it possible there is
something wrong with the vent stack (located in the wall immediately
behind the toilet) that is easily diagnosed? If the bucket of water test
fails I'll snake the drain.

My best guess is the "vent" in the toilet bowl. If this is the case, is
this easily cleaned out, or is getting a new toilet the best plan?

Thanks,

Charles
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 20, 8:32*am, (Charles Bishop) wrote:
[...]

Pour some cheap vinegar down the overflow tube in the tank and let it
sit for a few hours.
Posted to alt.home.repair
rlz rlz is offline

On Jan 20, 9:32*am, (Charles Bishop) wrote:
[...]

That small hole is the "Jet". If it's clogged up, the symptoms are
what you are experiencing. A simple soluition is to get a small brush
and clean the deposits in that hole. Most of the water in the tank
should be coming thru that jet. This is what forces the waste to go
down the drain.

Robin
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
(Charles Bishop) wrote:

[...]

I'm far from a.h.r.'s leading toiletologist, but it seems crazy to me
that your first go at it would be to pull the toilet. You can see
whether it's clogged rim jets by pouring a bucket of water into the
toilet. You can climb up on the roof and blast out the vent stack with a
hose. You can take the lid off the tank to see whether the flapper isn't
staying open long enough.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 20, 10:51*am, Molly Brown wrote:

snip

Pour some cheap vinegar down the overflow tube in the tank and let it
sit for a few hours.

Beter yet, some dilute muriatic acid and let it sit for a few minutes.
If that is too scary, oxalic acid as found in old fashioned radiator
flush at your auto parts store, will do a bang up job in probably 10
minutes. Rinse well and enjoy.
Years ago a product called Sani-Flush was in all the stores. It used
the moderately aggressive sulfamic acid as the motivator. Such
products may still be found at a janitorial supply store. IIRC, they
did a good job on all the toilet crud of the day.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

rlz wrote:

[...]

This is exactly right. I had the same problem. Clean out the 'jet'.
--
LSMFT
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/20/2011 12:32 PM, Joe wrote:
On Jan 20, 10:51 am, Molly wrote:

snip

Pour some cheap vinegar down the overflow tube in the tank and let it
sit for a few hours.

Beter yet, some dilute muriatic acid and let it sit for a few minutes.
If that is too scary, oxalic acid as found in old fashioned radiator
flush at your auto parts store, will do a bang up job in probably 10
minutes. Rinse well and enjoy.
Years ago a product called Sani-Flush was in all the stores. It used
the moderately aggressive sulfamic acid as the motivator. Such
products may still be found at a janitorial supply store. IIRC, they
did a good job on all the toilet crud of the day.

I still use Sani Flush, I find it at the local Wal mart.
Posted to alt.home.repair

After a few years of the same problem I removed my toilet, carried it down
to the driveway, power washed it and lots of junk (calcium) deposits came
out.
Reinstalled it and worked ok for 2 years. I found the older toilets were not
finished internally as the new ones are..(lots of unsmooth internals)
I replace it with a new toilet, worked ok for a while...plugged up again and
I removed it placed a light & mirror in the cast iron pipe, found clumps of
calcium deposits built up in the 3 inch cast iron pipes. Found cracks in the
vertical pipe also when removed, would have eventually fallen apart.
No amount of any chemicals is gonna help this problem, We took out walls,
floors, etc. and replaced all pipes with ABS...
If your going to stay there check for a final solution...it worked for me

"Charles Bishop" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 08:32:08 -0800, (Charles
Bishop) wrote:

[...]

_How to Fix a Slow Toilet_

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Slow-Toilet

If you decide to use the Muriatic Acid Method and happen to be on a
septic system then neutralize the acid before flushing to toilet.
Prevents damage to the septic system.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet troubles-Followup

In article ,
(Charles Bishop) wrote:

[...]

I was able to clean out the jet of whatever solids were there (salts?) and
now it works.

Thanks for the help.

--
Charles

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charles Bishop wrote the following:
In article ,
(Charles Bishop) wrote:

[...]

I suspect that is what's wrong with one of my 26 year old American
Standard Plebe toilets.
It looks kind some kind of dark material has stained the hole and it may
be much worse further in.
How did you clean out that ~1" hole?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:

I suspect that is what's wrong with one of my 26 year old American
Standard Plebe toilets.
It looks kind some kind of dark material has stained the hole and it
may be much worse further in.
How did you clean out that ~1" hole?

your teenage'rs toothbrush

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 10:40:58 -0500, willshak
wrote:

Charles Bishop wrote the following:

I was able to clean out the jet of whatever solids were there (salts?) and
now it works.

Thanks for the help.

I suspect that is what's wrong with one of my 26 year old American
Standard Plebe toilets.
It looks kind some kind of dark material has stained the hole and it may
be much worse further in.
How did you clean out that ~1" hole?

Think my kid used a short screwdriver to get the scale out of mine.
Fixed the flushing problem.
Others here have mentioned the rim holes too.
When I get around to it, I'm thinking about shutting the water to the
toilet off, and pouring a few gallons of vinegar in the tank.
Sponge the water out of the bowl first, then flush.
Let it sit as long as possible.
Anybody think that will do some good?
Works for the Mr Coffee.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

(Charles Bishop) wrote:

[...]

I did as someone suggested-

Shut the water off, and flushed the toilet. Removed most of the water from
the bowl.

Then poured a cup or two of vinegar down the fill tube and waited.

An hour or two later, since the bowl was full (leak somewhere) I used a
short blade screwdriver and carefully pushed on the built up salts. I was
able to move the clog away from the opening, and the toilet flushed
normally.

However, a short time later, the clog was back (probably after being
pushed up the space, it came back down) At this time, I used the
screwdriver and broke it up or moved it so that with the next flush, it
flushed away.

I used care not to damage the toilet with the screwdriver, not using a
large amount of force.

Charles
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 3, 4:29*pm, (Charles Bishop) wrote:
In article , willshak

(Charles Bishop) wrote:

[...]

Charles- Hide quoted text -

use muriatic acid it cleans much better

put some in bowl and some in dip tube overflow.

this will clean out the interior toilet passages and works great.

wait 1/2 hour and flush repeatedly.

may not be good idea with a septic tank

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 3 Feb 2011 15:33:47 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

use muriatic acid it cleans much better

Exactly. Vinegar is a waste of time in my opinion.

put some in bowl and some in dip tube overflow.

For the bowl -- a sacrificial turkey baster to get the water out of
the bowl, below the jet. Fill with Muriatic acid just above the bottom
bowl jet. Let that set awhile.... Then do the overflow tube routine.
Let that set awhile...

this will clean out the interior toilet passages and works great.

Roger that!

wait 1/2 hour and flush repeatedly.

If on a septic system, neutralize the acid before flushing.

may not be good idea with a septic tank

Acid isn't good for the septic -- neutralize the bowl water before
flushing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
" wrote:
[snip]

use muriatic acid it cleans much better

put some in bowl and some in dip tube overflow.

this will clean out the interior toilet passages and works great.

wait 1/2 hour and flush repeatedly.

may not be good idea with a septic tank

I'm on a septic and that's why I hadn't used it. If I'm inclined, I'll
pull the toilet and take it out into the north forty and use the acid.
Might be worth while to get a better flow out of the rim outlets.

charles
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 11, 12:31*am, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 07:56:37 -0800, (Charles

Bishop) wrote:
In article
,
" wrote:
[snip]

use muriatic acid it cleans much better

put some in bowl and some in dip tube overflow.

this will clean out the interior toilet passages and works great.

wait 1/2 hour and flush repeatedly.

may not be good idea with a septic tank

I'm on a septic and that's why I hadn't used it. If I'm inclined, I'll
pull the toilet and take it out into the north forty and use the acid.
Might be worth while to get a better flow out of the rim outlets.

charles

No need to remove the toilet. *Neutralize the acid, using baking soda
before you flush it. Fizzing of the acid will stop. *Should do no harm
in the septic when flushed.

...just sayin'- Hide quoted text -

I would use caution vinegar responds a LOT with baking soda.
Muriatic acid might be much more violent

just add a little at a time..

Posted to alt.home.repair

Gives off carbon dioxide. Ventilation to the outside
reccomended, air blown in and all.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Drain troubles HeyBub[_2_] Home Repair 0 January 25th 08 01:22 PM
Looking for an M38x1.5 nut and having troubles k_fitchgerald Metalworking 6 March 25th 06 12:54 AM
Septic troubles, again. James \Cubby\ Culbertson Home Repair 19 March 15th 06 03:13 AM
New Shower troubles Atman.Soul Home Ownership 3 March 4th 06 09:05 AM
Toilet troubles.... wesf66 Home Repair 1 May 26th 05 05:38 PM