Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas furnace troubleshooting

I'm having a furnace problem. I turn the furnace on. The draft inducer
runs, the igniter lights up and then the gas goes on. It stays on just
about till the blower starts and then the gas goes off. The blower
keeps going for a little while then shuts off. I had an extra
thermostat and changed that out with no change. I cleaned the flame
sensor. The furnace has been running fine for years until this
happened today. Anybody know what's wrong?
Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 19:09:30 -0500, Bobo wrote:

I'm having a furnace problem. I turn the furnace on. The draft inducer
runs, the igniter lights up and then the gas goes on. It stays on just
about till the blower starts and then the gas goes off. The blower
keeps going for a little while then shuts off. I had an extra
thermostat and changed that out with no change. I cleaned the flame
sensor. The furnace has been running fine for years until this
happened today. Anybody know what's wrong?
Thanks

Shutdown at that point in the sequence sounds like flame sensor.
You can put in a new flame sensor easy enough.
Might be bad, and they're cheap.
You cleaning it with fine steel wool?
If a new sensor doesn't work, bite the bullet and get a pro in unless
you want to fart around for days in a cold house.
If you do that look around on the net for troubleshooting your model.
Could be the motherboard.
When I had that happen cleaning the flame sensor fixed it for a period
of time. Had to clean it a few times a year.
A couple years ago the fan relay went bad on the motherboard, so I had
that replaced.
Came with a new flame sensor.
Haven't cleaned it in the two winters since then.
The original that came on the new furnace wanted frequent cleaning
right off the bat.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 18, 6:09*pm, Bobo wrote:
I'm having a furnace problem. I turn the furnace on. The draft inducer
runs, the igniter lights up and then the gas goes on. It stays on just
about till the blower starts and then the gas goes off. The blower
keeps going for a little while then shuts off. I had an extra
thermostat and changed that out with no change. *I cleaned the flame
sensor. The furnace has been running fine for years until this
happened today. Anybody know what's wrong?
Thanks

Brand, model, approximate age would be very helpful. What do you
mean "it stays on", the igniter or the gas? It sounds like it could
be that power is removed from the gas solenoid when the blower comes
on, maybe a bad connection somewhere.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 18, 7:09*pm, Bobo wrote:
I'm having a furnace problem. I turn the furnace on. The draft inducer
runs, the igniter lights up and then the gas goes on. It stays on just
about till the blower starts and then the gas goes off. The blower
keeps going for a little while then shuts off. I had an extra
thermostat and changed that out with no change. *I cleaned the flame
sensor. The furnace has been running fine for years until this
happened today. Anybody know what's wrong?
Thanks

Flame sensor or some overtemp sensor. Get the papers out and go
through the possibilities on the schematic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 18, 4:09*pm, Bobo wrote:
I'm having a furnace problem. I turn the furnace on. The draft inducer
runs, the igniter lights up and then the gas goes on. It stays on just
about till the blower starts and then the gas goes off. The blower
keeps going for a little while then shuts off. I had an extra
thermostat and changed that out with no change. *I cleaned the flame
sensor. The furnace has been running fine for years until this
happened today. Anybody know what's wrong?
Thanks

It sound to me like your high temperature cut-out is turning off your
gas. Check your wiring diagram and use a voltage tester to see if that
is where you are losing power.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 19:09:30 -0500, Bobo wrote:

I'm having a furnace problem. I turn the furnace on. The draft inducer
runs, the igniter lights up and then the gas goes on. It stays on just
about till the blower starts and then the gas goes off. The blower
keeps going for a little while then shuts off. I had an extra
thermostat and changed that out with no change. I cleaned the flame
sensor. The furnace has been running fine for years until this
happened today. Anybody know what's wrong?
Thanks

Thank you for your replies.
I cleaned the flame sensor again and checked continuity on the flame
rollout switches. I have continuity through the main limit switch but
still have not been able to check the auxitllary limit switch. I'll
have to take allot of stuff off to get to it and don't want to try
till I get a new flame sensor tommorow. The furnace was made by
Goodman Manufacturing Company and is a model GMP100-4. It's about
fifteen years old. It's the gas that goes off around the time the
blower starts. I've timed the burn time from 10 to maybe 20 seconds.
I can't find any way to reset the thing after it goes off. I turn up
waiting more than an hour before it will fire again. It does have an
LED code but it doesn't blink but stays steady which is the all OK
code. I'll try a new flame sensor tommorow and if that doesn't work
I'll either call somebody or try to get to the aux limit. The board
has to come off to do that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 00:02:24 -0500, Bobo wrote:

[...]

This morning I went down and turned the furnace on to see if my latest
cleaning and connector wiggling had helped anything. It did the same
thing and the gas shut off at about 12 seconds. I forgot to turn it
off again. About an hour later it came back on while I was upstairs. I
waited for it to go off but it didn't. Now it seems to be running
normally. ..Great an intermittent problem..this will be easy to fix.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 19, 8:30*am, Bobo wrote:
[...]

normally. ..Great an intermittent problem..this will be easy to fix.- Hide quoted text -

That's Murphy's second law!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

I can't find any way to reset the thing after it goes off.

To reset the furnace from lock-out, try this: turn the thermostat down to a
temperature cooler than the current inside temp. so that the thermostat
isn't calling for heat. Turn off the power to the furnace. Now, turn the
power back on. Turn up the thermostat so it's calling for heat. Does this
reset it??

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 18:32:34 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 19:09:30 -0500, Bobo wrote:

I'm having a furnace problem. I turn the furnace on. The draft inducer
runs, the igniter lights up and then the gas goes on. It stays on just
about till the blower starts and then the gas goes off. The blower
keeps going for a little while then shuts off. I had an extra
thermostat and changed that out with no change. I cleaned the flame
sensor. The furnace has been running fine for years until this
happened today. Anybody know what's wrong?
Thanks

Shutdown at that point in the sequence sounds like flame sensor.
You can put in a new flame sensor easy enough.

Rather than just replace it, can't he test it by bypassing it. If
it's normally closed during operation, bypass the sensor with a jumper
wire whereever it's convenient to attach it, with alligator clips on
the ends maybe. If it's normally open (I haven't worked on a gas
furnace, but I doubt it) just disconnect it, at the right time if
necssary.

Might be bad, and they're cheap.

Even if it were free, it means interrupting his work to go to the
store. IF his testing gives uncertain results, he can guy one then.

You cleaning it with fine steel wool?
If a new sensor doesn't work, bite the bullet and get a pro in unless
you want to fart around for days in a cold house.
If you do that look around on the net for troubleshooting your model.
Could be the motherboard.
When I had that happen cleaning the flame sensor fixed it for a period
of time. Had to clean it a few times a year.
A couple years ago the fan relay went bad on the motherboard, so I had
that replaced.
Came with a new flame sensor.
Haven't cleaned it in the two winters since then.
The original that came on the new furnace wanted frequent cleaning
right off the bat.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 09:30:46 -0500, Bobo wrote:

[...]

See, Vic, he stopped for the day to get a new flame sensor, when he
probably could have bypassed the one he has for a testing purposes.

I'll either call somebody or try to get to the aux limit. The board
has to come off to do that.

This morning I went down and turned the furnace on to see if my latest
cleaning and connector wiggling had helped anything. It did the same
thing and the gas shut off at about 12 seconds. I forgot to turn it
off again. About an hour later it came back on while I was upstairs. I
waited for it to go off but it didn't. Now it seems to be running
normally.

LOL. Ain't it always the way?

..Great an intermittent problem..this will be easy to fix.

Maybe it will never do it again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 16:22:40 -0500, mm
wrote:

See, Vic, he stopped for the day to get a new flame sensor, when he
probably could have bypassed the one he has for a testing purposes.

You might be right, but I don't know how to bypass it, and don't want
my advice to make anything worse.
I just hardly do anything electric and use the "pull and replace"
method for electric if the part is cheap and I suspect it's the cause.
I do know a few things to keep me safe, and that's it.
Last time I even put my ohm meter on anything was testing some fuel
injectors. The results were "inconclusive" so I just nought new ones.
That worked good.
Besides, see below.

I'll either call somebody or try to get to the aux limit. The board
has to come off to do that.

This morning I went down and turned the furnace on to see if my latest
cleaning and connector wiggling had helped anything. It did the same
thing and the gas shut off at about 12 seconds. I forgot to turn it
off again. About an hour later it came back on while I was upstairs. I
waited for it to go off but it didn't. Now it seems to be running
normally.

LOL. Ain't it always the way?

..Great an intermittent problem..this will be easy to fix.

Maybe it will never do it again.

Based on what he said, it will.
I dealt with the exact same problem for years, but cleaning the flame
sensor always got the furnace going again for awhile.
A new flame sensor stopped the problem entirely.
Problem is, the sensor came with a new motherboard, so I'll never be
sure which cured it. Just don't know.
I sometimes had that intermittent problem too.
I would hear it do the failed cycle, but it would "cure itself" before
I got to cleaning the sensor.
One thing I didn't mention is Bobo is to make sure he's cleaning the
flame sensor, and not a rollout sensor.
Didn't want to insult him.
My Rheem manual had a variety of possible control systems, one with
2 flame sensors.
I must have cleaned the rollout sensors 6 or 7 times before I caught
on to the fact that I had 1 flame sensor, and was missing it.
The flame sensor was pretty well hidden.
What fooled me at first was after cleaning the rollout sensors the
first couple times, it worked! Then it stopped working, so I dug in
some more and found where I was wrong.
Another example of an intermittent problem confusing the issue.
But I like your idea of bypassing for a test.
Next time I run into such an issue I'll try jumping a component if I
think I won't zap anything.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Hi,
Flame sensor o/p is by the millivolts. My problem was with HSI couple
times burning out. Flame sensor was never replaced.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 17:12:51 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Hi,
Flame sensor o/p is by the millivolts. My problem was with HSI couple
times burning out. Flame sensor was never replaced.

I replaced my HSI once, and have a spare on hand.
When I was looking up HSI - never heard the term - I ran across this,
which is a pretty good basic explanation of common furnace light off
sequence.
http://arnoldservice.com/Troubleshoo...g_Problems.htm

One thing isn't clear about Bobo's problem, and that's how long the
furnace fires before shutting down.
My Rheem would only fire for a few seconds when the flame sensor
needed cleaning.
Bobo seemed to indicate his is firing much longer.
If that's true I take back everything I said.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi,
Flame sensor o/p is by the millivolts. My problem was with HSI couple
times burning out. Flame sensor was never replaced.

I replaced my HSI once, and have a spare on hand.
When I was looking up HSI - never heard the term - I ran across this,
which is a pretty good basic explanation of common furnace light off
sequence.
http://arnoldservice.com/Troubleshoo...g_Problems.htm

One thing isn't clear about Bobo's problem, and that's how long the
furnace fires before shutting down.
My Rheem would only fire for a few seconds when the flame sensor
needed cleaning.
Bobo seemed to indicate his is firing much longer.
If that's true I take back everything I said.

--Vic

Yes, the gas stays on a little longer in mine, and the duration
varies from say, ten to twenty seconds. After it started working again
this morning I turned the heat down before I went to work.. When I
returned home the problem started again. As it seemed to work fine
when there wasn't much time between burns I thought warming it up
might help so I put an electric heater in front of it for awhile and
it's running fine now. I mailordered a flame sensor when it was
running good this morning. I hope that does the trick. The mailorder
place has boards for $125. Hopefully I won't be sorry I didn't order
one. I sure have learned allot about modern furnaces the last couple
of days.
I think the flame sensor produces voltage when hot so it would be a
tough thing to simulate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm no expert in this area, but here are a few thoughts.

The rooftop gas hot air heating unit where I work was doing the same thing.
It would run for a brief period and then shut off. It could be reset and
restarted, but then it would do the same thing. It turned out that it had a
cracked heat exchanger. It is also a Goodman and is about 12 years old. In
our case, the local gas company was able to diagnose the problem, and the
technician said that there was a period of time back then when Goodman made
models that had heat exchangers that tended to crack after about 10 years.
He said they later changed the design of the heat exchangers which makes
them last longer.

Since a cracked heat exchanger can send carbon monoxide gas into your home,
be sure you have a working CO detector in your home.

In our area (Southern New Jersey) the gas company (PSE&G) will come out and
check out heaters and other appliances, and they do heater, HVAC, and other
appliance repairs. The have crews working both day shift and evening shift.
The way they work it here is that they come out for free, and if they can
tell what the problem is (which they almost always can do), they tell you
how much it would cost to have them fix it. Then we have a choice of either
having them fix it or having someone else fix it. There is no charge for
the visit if we don't have them do the repair. When we call and say we have
no heat, they almost always come out the same day withing a few hours. If
your gas company has any kind of similar policy, that would be an easy way
to get your problem diagnosed and probably fixed. They put the repair bill
on your gas bill if you decide to use them to do the work.

Bobo wrote:
I'm having a furnace problem. I turn the furnace on. The draft inducer
runs, the igniter lights up and then the gas goes on. It stays on just
about till the blower starts and then the gas goes off. The blower
keeps going for a little while then shuts off. I had an extra
thermostat and changed that out with no change. I cleaned the flame
sensor. The furnace has been running fine for years until this
happened today. Anybody know what's wrong?
Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bobo wrote:

I'm having a furnace problem.

I never have problems with my 34-year-old furnace.

I turn the furnace on. The draft inducer runs,

I don't have a draft inducer fan.

the igniter lights up and then the gas goes on.

I don't have an ignitor.

It stays on just about till the blower starts and then the gas
goes off. The blower keeps going for a little while then shuts
off. I had an extra thermostat and changed that out with no
change.

I cleaned the flame sensor.

I don't have a flame sensor. I have a standing pilot light.

The furnace has been running fine for years until this happened
today.

Hmmm. Coldest night of the year?

My furnace has been running more years just fine than yours has.

Anybody know what's wrong?
Thanks

Your furnace is over-technologized just so you can save an extra $10
worth of natural gas per year beyond what your modern heat-exchanger is
giving you.

Enjoy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

If the heat exchanger is cracked, or has a hole. The
pressurized air from the blower fan may be blowing the flame
away from the flame sensor.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bobo" wrote in message
I'm having a furnace problem. I turn the furnace on. The
draft inducer
runs, the igniter lights up and then the gas goes on. It
stays on just
about till the blower starts and then the gas goes off. The
blower
keeps going for a little while then shuts off. I had an
extra
thermostat and changed that out with no change. I cleaned
the flame
sensor. The furnace has been running fine for years until
this
happened today. Anybody know what's wrong?
Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 20, 10:19*am, Home Guy wrote:
Bobo wrote:
[...]

His furnace is probably 20 or 30% more efficient than your 30 year old
furnace.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 10:19:34 -0500, Home Guy wrote:

Bobo wrote:

[...]

In my last house I had a furnace older than yours. Put a new motor in
it, bearings, thermocuple I don't know what all. It was underwater a
couple of times. This one's run for eleven years with no problem. So
Kiss my ....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bobo wrote:
On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 10:19:34 -0500, Home wrote:

Bobo wrote:

[...]

Hmmm,
People like you are a part of problem not solution. We try to keep our
environment clean. conserve energy, etc. I bet you still drive model T
and you never recycle anything. Wonder what kind of efficiency your
aging furnace has. If every household saves 10.00 a month nationwide
how much will it amount to? What kind of world are you trying to pass
onto your kids, grand kids, and great grand kids? I bet it is none of
your business.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang full-quoted:

Your furnace is over-technologized just so you can save an
extra $10 worth of natural gas per year beyond what your
modern heat-exchanger is giving you.

Enjoy.

Hmmm,
People like you are a part of problem not solution.

You don't need electronic ignition in order to have an efficient
heat-exchanger to give you 90+ efficiency.

That's the real crime here.

We try to keep our environment clean. conserve energy, etc.
I bet you still drive model T

I drive an 11-year-old-car that gives me 28 mpg on the highway and still
has it's factory-original battery in it. Do you know how much energy is
used to build a new car? Tell me how much "carbon" that I haven't put
into the atmosphere because of that.

and you never recycle anything. Wonder what kind of efficiency
your aging furnace has. If every household saves 10.00 a month

My pilot light uses $10 PER YEAR extra natural gas.

What kind of world are you trying to pass onto your kids

I don't have kids.

Life's too short to have kids.

Tell me now how much I'm saving the environment because of that. Tell
me how big my environmental footprint is because I don't have kids. Put
that in your high-efficiency furnace and smoke it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Home Guy wrote:
Tony Hwang full-quoted:

[...]

Hmm,
Sounds like you are not normal human. Not main stream.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Home Guy wrote:

I don't have kids.

Tell me now how much I'm saving the environment because of that. Tell
me how big my environmental footprint is because I don't have kids. Put
that in your high-efficiency furnace and smoke it.

A-****ing-men. You wanna save the planet, stop making babies. When I was
a kid, there were 2 billion people stomping around the world. Now there
are 7 billion. More people are alive today, then all the people who have
died in the history of mankind.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:

Tell me now how much I'm saving the environment because of that.
Tell me how big my environmental footprint is because I don't
have kids. Put that in your high-efficiency furnace and smoke
it.

Hmm,
Sounds like you are not normal human. Not main stream.

You mean that I don't follow conventional animal instincts (or religeous
dogma) by procreating?

It's normal for any animal (including humans) to pollute their
environment with abandon and with disregard to their own welfare or that
of the environment or future generations.

Reducing energy usage, forced increases in efficiency by regulation, or
recycling, is also "nor normal" for humans.

All of the environmental crises that the world now faces has it's root
cause in human population growth. You fools think that simply driving a
prius, putting your aluminum cans and newspaper at the curb for
recycling, and spending thousands on new HVAC for your house every 10
years means that you can continue to pop-out kids and everything will be
ok. Nobody wants to touch the issue of "too many people", especially in
the insanely religeous USA where the thinking is "you can never have
enough people because that's what god wants".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 9:21*am, Some Guy wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:
[...]

No, we think that doing those things is possible and changing the fact
that we have 6 billion people on the planet is unlikely. So instead
of ****ing and moaning about it some of us try to be more considerate
of our resource consumption. There is planty of resources if we go
about using them more intelligently. Curbing the population is a good
idea but there is always going to be billions of people on the planet
so we have to start doing some of the other things as well. We will
run out of fossil fuels. We're running out of many easily accessed
raw materals. Now we have to reusing what we have.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

tough thing to simulate.- Hide quoted text -

Most furnaces like this have at least a few LEDs on the control board
that show error information. Have you looked?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bobo wrote:
I'm having a furnace problem. I turn the furnace on. The draft inducer
runs, the igniter lights up and then the gas goes on. It stays on just
about till the blower starts and then the gas goes off. The blower
keeps going for a little while then shuts off. I had an extra
thermostat and changed that out with no change. I cleaned the flame
sensor. The furnace has been running fine for years until this
happened today. Anybody know what's wrong?
Thanks

I found I could keep the thing running if it stayed warm between
cycles. My habit is to turn the heat down at night and it would not
work in the morning. If I heat it up with an electric heater it works
fine. I ordered a new flame sensor which arrived yesterday. I put that
in but it's so cold here now I don't want to mess with letting it get
real cold and restarting. I'm hoping the flame sensor does the trick
but the preheating business makes me think elecronics so I'll see.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yes the LED burns steady which is supposed to be all OK.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bobo wrote:
[...]

Thanks. If you do get it figured out, let us know. I would be curious to
know what the problem turned out to be.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bobo wrote:
[...]

The new flame sensor seems to have done the trick. I've turned it down
real low a couple of nights and it seems to be working fine. The old
flame sensor looked almost new when I first took it out and was at
least elevn years without cleaning. Cleaning didn't do any good
though.

Old Lennox Furnace - Model GH6 100T (maybe thermostat maybe furnace problem) jack Home Repair 5 November 9th 08 02:22 PM
Thick accordion-type furnace filters - can I retrofit furnace for standard? bryanska Home Ownership 1 August 9th 05 09:24 PM
help with troubleshooting gas furnace? james Home Repair 3 March 1st 05 12:42 PM