Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Motion Sensor + Remote Photocell?

I'd like to install a combination motion-sensor (MS),
dawn-to-dusk (photocell, or PC) fixture in my garage that
would not come on at all during the day, but at night would
act like a normal motion-sensing light (during the day,
enough light comes in from a small window to make navigation
safe).

I'm guessing that the pre-made combo packages offered in the
stores are not meant to work inside a garage that just has a
small window for daylight.

I have a motion-sensor floodligh unit for starters
(Heath-Zenith), but I notice that when it gets current, it
has a one-minute or so warmup time, then a "lights on no
matter what" for whatever the period the device is set for,
and then is goes into normal motion-sensing mode.

Apparently, PCs have a warmup time as well, so putting the
PC between the MS and the lights would put a long delay
every time the MS sends current to the PC.

Does anyone here know of a way to wire up the MS, PC, and
lights so that the MS and PC are always powered up (and
warmed up), but the lights only come on when both MS AND PC
are closing thier switches?

Thanks,

croy
Posted to alt.home.repair

croy wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Our garage has a window and I installed a fixture similar to what you
are talking about. It happens to have adjustments for sensitivity and
turn off delay. During day time it never comes on but it does when car
pulls in or some one walks into the garage after dark. I got it from
local harware store for 9.99 on sale and over 10 years it's been working.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"croy" wrote in message
[...]

You probably just need to position the motion detector head where it can see
daylight. Typical wired in photocells require a minimum load to function,
something like 40 watts, so it probably won't pull in with just the load of
a motion detector attached to it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 8:12*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 17:04:21 -0800, croy
wrote:

[...]

I have a regular Heath/Zenith MD in my garage and it works fine. You
can adjust the ambient light sensor so it doesn't come on in the
daytime. Just be sure to get the model with the ambient light
adjustment. They have lots of models.- Hide quoted text -

Almost any hardware store has a motion sensor and daylight sensor
combined. I have bought several of that style over the years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

*These units have an adjustable sensitivity for the built-in photocell as
well as for the built-in motion sensor:
http://www.rabweb.com/common/catalog/pages/ST1BEL.pdf

The sensors are also available separately.