Posted to alt.home.repair

Default floor molding in garage?

Finishing up phase 1 of finishing the garage (the tape and spackel came
out very nice) and thinking about floor molding to keep things easier to
clean, and stop those tiny little parts from falling and hiding under
the wall. I think it would be nice, but would it defeat the purpose of
the pressure treated floor plate on the concrete floor?

I happen to have plenty of 1 x 4 that is warped a bit but still ok to
use for molding so cost isn't much.

Then there is stuff made just for garage floors, fake diamond plate and
other stuff but that runs from $2 to $4/linear foot. And I think that
stuff is all plastic and sticks onto the wall.

Ideas?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 14, 5:26*pm, Tony Miklos wrote:
Finishing up phase 1 of finishing the garage (the tape and spackel came
out very nice) and thinking about floor molding to keep things easier to
clean, and stop those tiny little parts from falling and hiding under
the wall. *I think it would be nice, but would it defeat the purpose of
the pressure treated floor plate on the concrete floor?

I happen to have plenty of 1 x 4 that is warped a bit but still ok to
use for molding so cost isn't much.

Then there is stuff made just for garage floors, fake diamond plate and
other stuff but that runs from $2 to $4/linear foot. *And I think that
stuff is all plastic and sticks onto the wall.

Ideas?

"stryped", is that you?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 17:26:53 -0500, Tony Miklos
wrote:

Finishing up phase 1 of finishing the garage (the tape and spackel came
out very nice) and thinking about floor molding to keep things easier to
clean, and stop those tiny little parts from falling and hiding under
the wall. I think it would be nice, but would it defeat the purpose of
the pressure treated floor plate on the concrete floor?

I happen to have plenty of 1 x 4 that is warped a bit but still ok to
use for molding so cost isn't much.

Then there is stuff made just for garage floors, fake diamond plate and
other stuff but that runs from $2 to $4/linear foot. And I think that
stuff is all plastic and sticks onto the wall.

Ideas?

Think water damage if there is a chance of leaks damaging the trim. I
can easily put trim in my garage, because it would be about four
inches above the garage floor. I've put trim in garages, but not when
the wall directly meets the garage floor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I think I would use the stuff that is used in industrial environments,
heavy vinyl stuff that is glued in place (usually over a vinyl tiled
floor.) especially if you have drywall walls. Eventually you're going
to want to clean the floor with a hose, and you want to protect the wall
from water, not provide something else to absorb it.

something like this

http://www.amazon.com/Building-Produ...ref=pd_cp_hi_1

HTH

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I forgot about that "stuff". It was everywhere on the ground floor of
where I grew up. The price is reasonable too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Finishing up phase 1 of finishing the garage (the tape and spackel came
out very nice) and thinking about floor molding to keep things easier to
clean, and stop those tiny little parts from falling and hiding under
the wall. I think it would be nice, but would it defeat the purpose of
the pressure treated floor plate on the concrete floor?

I happen to have plenty of 1 x 4 that is warped a bit but still ok to
use for molding so cost isn't much.

Then there is stuff made just for garage floors, fake diamond plate and
other stuff but that runs from $2 to $4/linear foot. And I think that
stuff is all plastic and sticks onto the wall.

Ideas?

I've never understood why people put sheetrock in a garage, but
whatever trips your trigger.....

Well besides that I don't just use it to park cars, I use it to repair
cars, and repair other stuff too. I should have put "garage/shop" for
the other repairs. Oh, and it is insulated so the insulation must be
covered to meet code, not so much code for my area, but code for fire
insurance. So an insulated "working" garage with heat, sheetrock to
cover the insulation. Now does it make sense?

However, putting non-treated wood against the floor is stupid. Either
use something treated, or some plastic molding. Of course, unless you
left a huge gap, why not just caulk it.

Then again, if you're as loaded with money as you sound. Go to a
welding shop, have them order some stainless steel diamond plate and
cut strips of it about 3 inches wide and screw it to the wall with
stainless steel screws. Probably will cost several hundred bucks...

One last idea, Vinyl Base, formerly called Rubber Base. Just glue it
on, cheap and easy !!!! Will keep you from losing your nuts under the
wall.

Yes, the other poster mentioned that, I had forgot about that stuff. I
think that's what I'll use. (in my heated and air conditioned shop)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

forgot to add, I'd be tempted to caulk along the bottom of it, just for
insurance.

Also, *before* you put it down would be the best time to do an epoxy
floor coating, if you are into such things and haven't done so already.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I had the same idea.

Also, *before* you put it down would be the best time to do an epoxy
floor coating, if you are into such things and haven't done so already.

Yes, the floor is already epoxied.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Why put sheetrock in a garage? Because most places require that
all walls and ceilings of a garage have a fire rating when directly
attached to the home and 5/8" type X sheetrock is the cheapest
way to achieve that rating... Even better if BOTH sides of such
walls are fire code sheetrock...

Vinyl Cove Base is a very good idea for "trim" in a garage...
That suggestion almost makes up for your insane rant against
sheetrock being installed in a garage...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Lows carries the Flexco brand but not the inside and outside corners. I
can only find them in packs of 30 and I only need a few of each. Yes I
know it's a garage, but I just hate to see that stuff wrapped around
corners, it looks like crap. I tried miter cuts but it's too soft to
get a decent edge. Inside corners I can cut a small V at the bottom and
score the back, when it is folded it makes a nice inside corner. The
outside corners aren't so easy. I'm thinking of just cutting it the
best I can, then filling in the bad spots with black silicone. (yes the
black moulding looks great with the gray floor and white walls)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

have you tried a VERY sharp knife? like a utility knife with a brand
new blade for each cut?

I think sometimes installers just use a very strong adhesive and bend
them around outside corners.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Guess I'm old fashioned- IMHO garage walls shouldn't run down to the
slab in the first place. There should be at least 4-6 inches of concrete
block or cast concrete stub wall showing. Makes it easier to hose out
the place when needed. Wood touching concrete should always be on the
highest spot in the area.

But that is just me, YMMV.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If I was building this garage again, that would be one of the
differences. It started out all block until I realized how difficult it
was to heat. So I studded it out and added insulation and drywall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

probably not the way to go for best insulation

another idea - cover drywall with white plastic sheet as used for shower
stall, 3-4' off ground (use 4x8 sheet on side?) caulk all edges THEN
install baseboard

then you can paint drywall above plastic as per normal

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Well I'll try it.

I think sometimes installers just use a very strong adhesive and bend
them around outside corners.

nate

I know, and the curved part at the bottom bends straight and it makes
the molding rise a little. I've seen it and think it looks like crap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default NEW IDEA was: floor molding in garage?

I thought of this before and now it's sounding better....

Pressure treated 1x4 as baseboard molding. After it dries and shrinks I
could caulk the bottom of it to the floor. Should make it OK for an
occasional hosing down. Any opinions?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Backerboard, then tile. ;-)

then you can paint drywall above plastic as per normal

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Just buy a few pieces of 1x6 PVC trim boards , put it on and be done with
it....Caulk the bottom if the concrete is uneven...It will be...

filling gaps between reducer molding & tile floor Mikepier Home Repair 4 December 12th 07 02:17 PM
repairing oak reducer molding on the floor Mikepier Home Repair 0 October 27th 07 02:09 PM
Base Molding - bowed floor Joe C Home Repair 11 March 23rd 07 09:19 AM
New Garage Floor Sandy K. Home Repair 5 January 31st 06 11:42 PM
Nail shoe molding to baseboard or floor Sir Topham Hatt Home Repair 5 January 4th 06 01:30 PM