Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Laminated flooring problem

I'm disabled so I had a contractor laydown laminated flooring
in my kitchen - three years ago. He put in a 2" metal threshold
between the floor and the carpeting.

The problem is that the laminate is starting to chip. When I
removed the threshold, I saw the cause of the problem. Te
contractor failed to cut under the door frame and the threshold
does not extend far enough to get a good grip on the laminate.

Fixing it:
- I have yet to find a 2-1/2" threshold, but I will keep
looking. HomeDepot has only 2" and 3". Any ideas?

- I'm going to have to cut under the door frame. Other
than buying a Multimate or one of its competitors, any
ideas will be appreciated.

I love alt.home.repair.

Want free tax advice, see misc.taxes.moderated. It's
almost as good as alt.home.repair - no spam, no off topic!

Dick
--

Richard D. Adams, CPA
Principal Moderator - misc.taxes.moderated
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 4:45*pm, (Dick Adams) wrote:
I'm disabled so I had a contractor laydown laminated flooring
in my kitchen - three years ago. *He put in a 2" metal threshold
between the floor and the carpeting. *

The problem is that the laminate is starting to chip. *When I
removed the threshold, I saw the cause of the problem. *Te
contractor failed to cut under the door frame and the threshold
does not extend far enough to get a good grip on the laminate.

Fixing it:
*- I have yet to find a 2-1/2" threshold, but I will keep
* *looking. *HomeDepot has only 2" and 3". *Any ideas?

*- I'm going to have to cut under the door frame. *Other
* *than buying a Multimate or one of its competitors, any
* *ideas will be appreciated.

I love alt.home.repair.

***

Want free tax advice, see misc.taxes.moderated. *It's
almost as good as alt.home.repair - no spam, no off topic!

Then it's *better* than alt.home.repair. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
(Dick Adams) wrote:

[...]

No, alt.home.repair has more people giving constructive advice
and more people adding to or correcting that constructive advice.

I ought to know as I sue one and moderator the other.

Dick

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/11/2011 1:45 PM Dick Adams spake thus:

I'm disabled so I had a contractor laydown laminated flooring
in my kitchen - three years ago. He put in a 2" metal threshold
between the floor and the carpeting.

The problem is that the laminate is starting to chip. When I
removed the threshold, I saw the cause of the problem. Te
contractor failed to cut under the door frame and the threshold
does not extend far enough to get a good grip on the laminate.

Fixing it:
- I have yet to find a 2-1/2" threshold, but I will keep
looking. HomeDepot has only 2" and 3". Any ideas?

- I'm going to have to cut under the door frame. Other
than buying a Multimate or one of its competitors, any
ideas will be appreciated.

Sorry, can't help you with the threshold, other than to say you might
ought to look in places other than Home Despot. Have you tried flooring
suppliers? In my experience, they'll have a better variety.

You might also try Ikea for this.

Regarding cutting under the door frame, get yourself the Harbor Freight
"multipurpose" tool. I got mine (non-variable-speed) for $35, and it's
going great after many jobs. For wood, you can use the "half-moon" blade
that comes with it.

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/11/2011 4:45 PM, Dick Adams wrote:
I'm disabled so I had a contractor laydown laminated flooring
in my kitchen - three years ago. He put in a 2" metal threshold
between the floor and the carpeting.

The problem is that the laminate is starting to chip. When I
removed the threshold, I saw the cause of the problem. Te
contractor failed to cut under the door frame and the threshold
does not extend far enough to get a good grip on the laminate.

Fixing it:
- I have yet to find a 2-1/2" threshold, but I will keep
looking. HomeDepot has only 2" and 3". Any ideas?

- I'm going to have to cut under the door frame. Other
than buying a Multimate or one of its competitors, any
ideas will be appreciated.

I love alt.home.repair.

Want free tax advice, see misc.taxes.moderated. It's
almost as good as alt.home.repair - no spam, no off topic!

Sounds like you maybe your news server filters the constant "Harry-I
hate the USA" posts?

You may want to check with regular carpet/floor covering type stores
instead of restricting your search.

Dick
--

Richard D. Adams, CPA
Principal Moderator - misc.taxes.moderated

Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
Dick Adams wrote:

[...]

He and the other patients in the closed psych ward are in my
"Burn-Before-Read" file!

You may want to check with regular carpet/floor covering
type stores instead of restricting your search.

Thank you for an excellent idea!

Dick

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
Dick Adams spake thus:

[...]

Thank you. $35 is better than $99!

Dick
Posted to alt.home.repair

?
"David Nebenzahl" wrote

- I'm going to have to cut under the door frame. Other than buying a
Multimate or one of its competitors, any
ideas will be appreciated.

Regarding cutting under the door frame, get yourself the Harbor Freight
"multipurpose" tool. I got mine (non-variable-speed) for $35, and it's
going great after many jobs. For wood, you can use the "half-moon" blade
that comes with it.

Home Depot sells a "dovetail saw" with offset handle for about $12. Problem
is, you have to actually move your arm back and forth to make it cut. If
the HF saw was available when I did mine, I'd have bought th at instead.
Pulling a trigger is always better than manual labor!

Cutting laminated flooring joe UK diy 7 November 10th 07 06:17 PM
Varnishing Laminated Flooring Steve Walker UK diy 4 January 8th 07 08:37 AM
Laminated flooring question Boothbay Home Repair 8 November 18th 05 02:41 PM
Laminated flooring for a benchtop? [email protected] Woodworking 2 October 14th 05 06:16 PM
Laminated flooring help please Alan UK diy 8 February 11th 05 08:36 PM