Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default How to connect compression fittings

I got that valve for copper tubing I posted about before -- thanks for
the advice and leads on that -- and it has a compression fitting at
each end.

Does anyone flare the tubing enough so that the compression ring and
the nut don't come off the tube? Or does that end up making it too
big to get into the seat?

And is it true what one web page says that the compression ring can be
used only once???
http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i...b/infcomp.html

"You can not remove a compression ring from tubing once it has been
used. If you can't get a leakproof connection, the tubing behind the
ring will have to be cut, and a new ring installed. Though the
compression nuts can often be reused, I would recommend against it
because the old nut may be slightly deformed and lessen the quality of
the new connection."

Is any of this true? I"ve reused the compession ring on the
humidifier at least 6 times, every time I've removed the tubing from
it. The connection has never leaked.

Does the tubing flare when you tighten the nut and does the tubing
have to be cut to remove the ring, just to replace it? Isn't that
good, that way the ring doesn't fall off!

Do they even sell rings separately?

Do people really use a new nut when they reconnect??

One url says use plumber's grease for the nuts but the other pages
don't say a thing about that. Do you use it?

Can the tubing really be "severed by the compression sleeve" if the
nut is tightened too much, like another page says.
http://www.ehow.com/how_6025504_conn...-fittings.html

Do you use "thread seal tape"? One page said not to and the other
page said the opposite!

I'm confused!
Posted to alt.home.repair

I got that valve for copper tubing I posted about before --
thanks for
the advice and leads on that -- and it has a compression
fitting at
each end.

CY: Hmm. And,w hat is your question?

Does anyone flare the tubing enough so that the compression
ring and
the nut don't come off the tube?

CY: Nope.

Or does that end up making it too
big to get into the seat?

CY: Just not designed to do that.

And is it true what one web page says that the compression
ring can be
used only once???
http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i...b/infcomp.html

"You can not remove a compression ring from tubing once it
has been
used. If you can't get a leakproof connection, the tubing
behind the
ring will have to be cut, and a new ring installed. Though
the
compression nuts can often be reused, I would recommend
against it
because the old nut may be slightly deformed and lessen the
quality of
the new connection."

CY: I've been able to take a fitting apart and put it back
together, on occasion. Don't disturb the ferrule
(compression ring). Just unscrew the nut, do what you need
to do, and put it back together.

Is any of this true? I"ve reused the compession ring on the
humidifier at least 6 times, every time I've removed the
tubing from
it. The connection has never leaked.

CY: Glad that worked.

Does the tubing flare when you tighten the nut

CY: No, the tubing compresses.

and does the tubing
have to be cut to remove the ring, just to replace it?
Isn't that
good, that way the ring doesn't fall off!

CY: I've found it best to cut the tubing back a bit, when
replacing a nut and ferrule.

Do they even sell rings separately?

Do people really use a new nut when they reconnect??

One url says use plumber's grease for the nuts but the other
pages
don't say a thing about that. Do you use it?

CY: I use that, or WD-40. Helps the nut and such to slip in
relation to each other.

Can the tubing really be "severed by the compression sleeve"
if the
nut is tightened too much, like another page says.
http://www.ehow.com/how_6025504_conn...-fittings.html

CY: I've not had that happen.

Do you use "thread seal tape"? One page said not to and the
other
page said the opposite!

CY: No, don't use teflon tape.

I'm confused!

CY: Yep, I can imagine. What has worked for me is: DO NOT
sand paper the tubing before slipping on the ferrule. Put
the nut on, and then the ferrule. Oil under the nut and
ferrule. Snug, but not tight. If one over tightens (yeah, I
tend to) then it leaks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 7, 7:25*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I got that valve for copper tubing I posted about before -- *
thanks for
the advice and leads on that -- and it has a compression
fitting at
each end.

CY: Hmm. And,w hat is your question?

Does anyone flare the tubing enough so that the compression
ring and
the nut don't come off the tube?

CY: Nope.

A compression fitting and a flare type fitting are two different
things.
Compression is far more common today and you do NOT flare the
tubing. The flare type fitting has a tapered shaped on the male end
that mates with the flare. Compression does not.

Or does that end up making it too
big to get into the seat?

CY: Just not designed to do that.

Sure, if you flare it, it very well could be too big to
fit into the fitting.

[...]

It may have worked, but you were lucky. If the fitting is properly
tightened, which usually means using a back-up wrench to hold
the other half, the ring winds up tight on the tubing and should
not come off again if taken apart.

Does the tubing flare when you tighten the nut

CY: No, the tubing compresses.

and does the tubing
have to be cut to remove the ring, just to replace it?
Isn't that
good, that way the ring doesn't fall off!

CY: I've found it best to cut the tubing back a bit, when
replacing a nut and ferrule.

Do they even sell rings separately?

Yes

Do people really use a new nut when they reconnect??

No, unless there is evidence something wrong with it the
nut and fitting can be re-used.

One url says use plumber's grease for the nuts but the other
pages
don't say a thing about that. *Do you use it?

CY: I use that, or WD-40. Helps the nut and such to slip in
relation to each other.

I haven't used any lube and haven't had problems. But it sounds
like lube could help it compress. Not sure having WD40 in my
fridge line or having an oily fitting to work with is worth it though.

Can the tubing really be "severed by the compression sleeve"
if the
nut is tightened too much, like another page says.http://www.ehow.com/how_6025504_conn...-fittings.html

CY: I've not had that happen.

I don't see how it could be severed either. It should not be
overtightened to begin with.

Do you use "thread seal tape"? *One page said not to and the
other
page said the opposite!

CY: No, don't use teflon tape.

No tape, that's for sure.

I'm confused!

CY: Yep, I can imagine. What has worked for me is: DO NOT
sand paper the tubing before slipping on the ferrule. Put
the nut on, and then the ferrule. Oil under the nut and
ferrule. Snug, but not tight. If one over tightens (yeah, I
tend to) then it leaks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 7, 5:38*pm, mm wrote:
On Fri, 07 Jan 2011 08:22:01 -0600, wrote:
On Fri, 07 Jan 2011 07:19:01 -0500, mm
wrote:

I got that valve for copper tubing I posted about before -- thanks for
the advice and leads on that -- and it has a compression fitting at
each end.

Does anyone flare the tubing enough so that the compression ring and
the nut don't come off the tube? *Or does that end up making it too
big to get into the seat?

No flare, the ring wont go on. *Just slip it on, into the valve, keep
the pipe pushed in while you tighten the nut. *Tighten well, but dont
over do it.

And is it true what one web page says that the compression ring can be
used only once???
http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i...b/infcomp.html

Yes. *You'll never get it off. *You can buy new rings separately.

"You can not remove a compression ring from tubing once it has been
used. If you can't get a leakproof connection, the tubing behind the
ring will have to be cut, and a new ring installed. Though the
compression nuts can often be reused, I would recommend against it
because the old nut may be slightly deformed and lessen the quality of
the new connection."

Most of the time the nuts are fine to be reused unless someone
stripped it or deformed it.

Is any of this true? *I"ve reused the compession ring on the
humidifier at least 6 times, every time I've removed the tubing from
it. *The connection has never leaked.

See what I said above.

Does the tubing flare when you tighten the nut and does the tubing
have to be cut to remove the ring, just to replace it? *Isn't that
good, that way the ring doesn't fall off!

The tubing does not flare. *The ring embeds into the tubing. *You can
unscrew the nut and put it back again, but if you need to remove the
ring, you have to cut off enough to remove the nut. *Alwasys leave
enough slack in the pipe so you got a little spare to work with.

Do they even sell rings separately?

Yep. *Any good hardware store should have them.

Do people really use a new nut when they reconnect??

Only people who **** up the original nut.

One url says use plumber's grease for the nuts but the other pages
don't say a thing about that. *Do you use it?

Not needed. *It wont hurt on the threads, but DO NOT put in on the
pipe by the ring.

Can the tubing really be "severed by the compression sleeve" if the
nut is tightened too much, like another page says.
http://www.ehow.com/how_6025504_conn...-fittings.html

I never seen one sever, but I have seen them deform so bad from over
tightening that they will never seal.

Do you use "thread seal tape"? *One page said not to and the other
page said the opposite!

NO

I'm confused!

I can tell

Thanks to you, JW, and stormin and Trader. *I think I'm ready to go
now.

In a way, things were easier in 1985 when I first put this together,
no one but the hardware store guy to ask questions of, and it turned
out okay, but now I wanted to do an even better job.- Hide quoted text -

God help you if you ask the hardware store guys at the local ACE here
anything. There is
one idiot there who immediately runs up to you as soon as you walk in
the store and
wants to get involved in "helping" you. For example, I was looking
for a small water
pressure gauge. First off, they didn't even have any. But along the
way he questioned
me whether it was a well system or city water, then proceeded to tell
me that city water
operates at 2 PSI.

Another time, I was looking for screws and he waltzes over and asks to
help me. I tell
him I'm looking for #10 round headed wood screws. He looks at me
like he never heard of
such a thing. Then he asks, what do u need them for? I felt like
telling him to shove in your
mama's behind. Next he tells me to use sheet metal screws, because
that's what he uses. Of course,
I could use them in a pinch, but they aren't what I really want, nor
intended for the application.
If the ass weren't there, I'd have found what I wanted 5 mins ago.
One can only imagine what
happens with the advice the jerk gives to novices.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 8 Jan 2011 06:24:24 -0800 (PST), wrote:

[...]

Maybe you could make a tv show out of this.

Three hardware stores have closed on the shopping street near me since
I moved here 27 years ago. One was a real hardware store and though I
didn't ask for much advice, I think the boss knew a lot. He said he
didn't want to stay open late and on weekends, so he closed. The
other was a small version of a big box store, before biggg ones
existed. I can't even remember the third one.

There is another one a mile farther out, and they've been forced to
concentrate on lawn-mower repair and tool rental, all the way up to
frontloaders, and things requiring service. I hope they stay in
business, for the occasional time I need them. They sell motor
brushes, for one thing. They even hired a girl in her 20's who seems
to at least know what they have and where everything is, but I don't
epxect her to know what to do with things. The old man is still
there, but I forget the last time I asked him a question.