Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best way to repair notched joist (with pic)

I'm redoing my basement and came across a 2X8 joist that was notched
at some point in the past.It is notched approx It is the last joist
before the outside sill plate. As you can see it is close to the
steel beam. What is the best way to repair it or strengthen it? I was
thinking put another piece of 2X8 next to it, one end resting on the
beam and extending a good 2 feet past the notch, fastening it with
bolts and washers. Any inputs appreciated.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink