Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water heater question/problem

Okay, it is a two to three year old electric water heater and this
evening the relief valve tripped and dumped a limited amount of water. I
have no clue as to why it tripped, it never has before. The down pipe
from the relief valve is still dripping even thought I have opened and
closed the valve several times.

1.) I know that the relief valve is both pressure and temperature
sensitive but what is your best guess of why it tripped in the first place?
2.) Is it the nature of these relief valves to not totally re-seat once
they have tripped?

It didn't do any damage for three reasons. First, it let out a limited
amount of water. Secondly, the down pipe is very close to a floor drain.
And finally, we have a water alarm near that floor drain and it went off
and we just happened to be home.

Unless most all of you think that something is messed up with the water
heater I plan to just replace the relief valve in the morning and let it
go at that. Although I never do, I just might shut it off when we leave
for warmer weather this winter.

Happy Holidays,

Don

Posted to alt.home.repair

IGot2P wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Sounds like the water got over heated. Heating elments are controlled by
thermostat. Maybe one is stuck closed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 22, 5:34*am, IGot2P wrote:
[...]

Another possibilty is that a pipe has frozen somewhere causing over
pressure.
If you have a pressure reducing valve, it may be stuck. Most can be
dismantled and freed off.
If there is an expansion vessl on your system it may be faulty or need
re-charging. This latter is the most likely if you have one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 22, 5:34*am, IGot2P wrote:
[...]

BTW, the relief valve is not likely to be faulty, you need to find why
it lifted.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 22, 12:34*am, IGot2P wrote:
[...]

It needs to be checked out totally. Check out both thermostats,
because I think it has 2. And check both elements for continuity. Crud
in the bottom (yes crud can build up within a couple years) can make
your lower element not function, therfore allowing the upper to over
compensate. Check for crude when you remove the lower element.

Most, if not all, electric water heaters have a 6 year warranty. Call
the manufacturer and they will more than likely tell you what to look
for and will send you the part if one is needed at no cost. I had a
thermstat go out and they sent me the thermo and a new element.

Hank

Posted to alt.home.repair

IGot2P wrote:
[...]

It's possible that when the relief valve popped, some bit of debris found
itself trapped in the valve, preventing the valve from properly re-closing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 22, 7:17*am, Hank wrote:
[...]

Hank- Hide quoted text -

Best clue as to whether it was water temp or pressure that tripped it
was
right there when it tripped. Did you open a faucet and check the
water temp?
If the water was not noticeably hotter than normal, then it wasn't
caused by
the water getting too hot. Also, I would suspect that if it opened
from being
too hot, you'd get a lot more water out than if it opened from
pressure. Also,
with a stuck thermostat, I would expect the process to immediately
repeat
itself.

If there was a brief over-pressure in the system, just a small
release of a few cups could
relieve it. If it's over temp, I would think you'd have many gallons
flowing before
the temp came down. Is it municipal water or well? What is the
pressure?

Also, not unusual for the TPR valve to not close completely on water
heaters, but
kind of unusual for one only 3 years old. That's one reason many
people don't
test them once a year, they are afraid that it won't close.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/21/2010 11:34 PM, IGot2P wrote:
[...]

A good practice is to shut the water off ANYtime you leave the house.
And if we're leaving for more than 24 hours, i go ahead and shut off the
water heaters also. No need keeping water hot for nobody home.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/22/2010 3:27 AM, harry wrote:
On Dec 22, 5:34 am, wrote:
[...]

No chance of freezing....fully finished party basement. Also, no
expansion vessel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/22/2010 7:47 AM, Steve Barker wrote:
[...]

I am sure that it would be a good practice but I am not going to shut
the water off once or twice a week just for 24 hours. Although I never
have in the past I may shut it off when we are going to gone for over
one week (sometimes a month or so).

Posted to alt.home.repair

IGot2P wrote:

[...]

What is your water source, "city" water? Do you have an expansion tank
in the system to account for expansion of water as it heats? City water
supplies normally have backflow check valves, so when the water heats
the pressure rises if there is no expansion tank.

If the starting water pressure was a little higher than normal, you used
a lot of hot water so there was more cold water being heated and thus
expanding, a leaking backflow valve was replaced, etc. the pressure
could spike above the trip point of the relief valve.

Relief valves tend to be one-shot things, once they trip they rarely
reseat properly or they get some crud in them and they tend to drip
forever after. Replacing the valve will fix the ongoing drip, but if you
don't fix the underlying problem it will just repeat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/22/2010 7:32 AM, wrote:
On Dec 22, 7:17 am, wrote:
On Dec 22, 12:34 am, wrote:

[...]

Thanks, that was good info. It has not repeated itself but I may check
the temp at the faucet. Again, it was probably a cup of water at the
most but it is still dripping thus the valve has not totally closed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

1.) I know that the relief valve is both pressure and temperature
sensitive but what is your best guess of why it tripped in the first
place?

If there is a BIG fire, the water department may increase water
pressure in the water mains to provide more water to the fire
department.

In this situation the fire department would want more water pressure /
the water department would not want to do this due to the possibility
of old pipes bursting, etc. But if people's lives are on the line...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/22/2010 8:44 AM, IGot2P wrote:
[...]

LMAO! I shut it off once, twice, three times a DAY. I said whenever
leaving the house. It's up to you though. When the bottom of that
water heater blows out, 5 minutes is a LOOOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGG time.
Think about how much you want to repair. Hmmmm. How are those washer
hoses you leave on all the time? How much damage is going to occur when
one of them (the hot one) blows up and you're lollygagging around the
mall, because it would be stupid to turn the water off for just a 1 hour
trip, right?

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/22/2010 9:49 AM, Steve Barker wrote:
[...]

I am not saying it would be stupid but I certainly don't think that it
is common practice.

BTW - the closest mall is 45 miles away. OTOH, we are out of town almost
every weekend

Don

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/22/2010 9:34 AM, Bill wrote:
1.) I know that the relief valve is both pressure and temperature
sensitive but what is your best guess of why it tripped in the first
place?

If there is a BIG fire, the water department may increase water pressure
in the water mains to provide more water to the fire department.

In this situation the fire department would want more water pressure /
the water department would not want to do this due to the possibility of
old pipes bursting, etc. But if people's lives are on the line...

You just may be on to something. I am on city water and our water bill
has been exceptional high compared to the neighbors for many many
months. I mean last month we used 7,800 gallon (only two of us and we
are gone a lot) compared to the neighbors using less than 3,000 gallon.

Yesterday I finally found our leak. We have a hydrant coming into the
shop to feed the stool and sink and someway it had been leaking
underground all this time when it was turned on, which it always is.
There is a leak detector on the meter and it was turning all the time
the hydrant was on and then stopped when the hydrant was turned off.
Anyway, yesterday (before the water heater popped) I shut the hydrant
thus the water pressure in the house would have been a bit higher.

Thanks for the "heads up".

Don

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 08:46:06 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

IGot2P wrote:

[...]

We are on municipal water, no backflow valve, no pressure reducer,
and no expansion tank (thankfully - city water is supposed to
eliminate all the nasty troublesome high-maintenance stuff, isn't it?
May as well have a well pump too if you need all that other stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 09:49:34 -0600, Steve Barker
wrote:

[...]

I hope you have a real good shutoff valve - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

yep.

--
Steve Barker

hot water heater Question? Water in the thermostat access panel 13jane Home Repair 1 October 5th 06 09:46 PM
hot water heater Question? Water in the thermostat access panel 13jane Home Repair 4 October 5th 06 09:16 PM
Water Heater Problem Eric Home Repair 13 March 12th 06 11:36 PM
Water Heater: Slow Heating Of Water Problem. Draining/Flushing Help ? Robert11 Home Repair 9 March 22nd 05 02:28 AM
Water heater problem R.Smyth Home Repair 1 December 11th 04 06:47 AM