Posted to alt.home.repair
IGot2P[_2_] IGot2P[_2_] is offline

Default Water heater question/problem

On 12/22/2010 7:32 AM, wrote:
On Dec 22, 7:17 am, wrote:
On Dec 22, 12:34 am, wrote:

Okay, it is a two to three year old electric water heater and this
evening the relief valve tripped and dumped a limited amount of water. I
have no clue as to why it tripped, it never has before. The down pipe
from the relief valve is still dripping even thought I have opened and
closed the valve several times.

1.) I know that the relief valve is both pressure and temperature
sensitive but what is your best guess of why it tripped in the first place?
2.) Is it the nature of these relief valves to not totally re-seat once
they have tripped?

It didn't do any damage for three reasons. First, it let out a limited
amount of water. Secondly, the down pipe is very close to a floor drain.
And finally, we have a water alarm near that floor drain and it went off
and we just happened to be home.

Unless most all of you think that something is messed up with the water
heater I plan to just replace the relief valve in the morning and let it
go at that. Although I never do, I just might shut it off when we leave
for warmer weather this winter.

Happy Holidays,

Don

It needs to be checked out totally. Check out both thermostats,
because I think it has 2. And check both elements for continuity. Crud
in the bottom (yes crud can build up within a couple years) can make
your lower element not function, therfore allowing the upper to over
compensate. Check for crude when you remove the lower element.

Most, if not all, electric water heaters have a 6 year warranty. Call
the manufacturer and they will more than likely tell you what to look
for and will send you the part if one is needed at no cost. I had a
thermstat go out and they sent me the thermo and a new element.

Hank- Hide quoted text -

Best clue as to whether it was water temp or pressure that tripped it
was
right there when it tripped. Did you open a faucet and check the
water temp?
If the water was not noticeably hotter than normal, then it wasn't
caused by
the water getting too hot. Also, I would suspect that if it opened
from being
too hot, you'd get a lot more water out than if it opened from
pressure. Also,
with a stuck thermostat, I would expect the process to immediately
repeat
itself.

If there was a brief over-pressure in the system, just a small
release of a few cups could
relieve it. If it's over temp, I would think you'd have many gallons
flowing before
the temp came down. Is it municipal water or well? What is the
pressure?

Also, not unusual for the TPR valve to not close completely on water
heaters, but
kind of unusual for one only 3 years old. That's one reason many
people don't
test them once a year, they are afraid that it won't close.

Thanks, that was good info. It has not repeated itself but I may check
the temp at the faucet. Again, it was probably a cup of water at the
most but it is still dripping thus the valve has not totally closed.