Posted to alt.home.repair
IGot2P[_2_] IGot2P[_2_] is offline

Default Water heater question/problem

On 12/22/2010 9:34 AM, Bill wrote:
1.) I know that the relief valve is both pressure and temperature
sensitive but what is your best guess of why it tripped in the first
place?

If there is a BIG fire, the water department may increase water pressure
in the water mains to provide more water to the fire department.

In this situation the fire department would want more water pressure /
the water department would not want to do this due to the possibility of
old pipes bursting, etc. But if people's lives are on the line...

You just may be on to something. I am on city water and our water bill
has been exceptional high compared to the neighbors for many many
months. I mean last month we used 7,800 gallon (only two of us and we
are gone a lot) compared to the neighbors using less than 3,000 gallon.

Yesterday I finally found our leak. We have a hydrant coming into the
shop to feed the stool and sink and someway it had been leaking
underground all this time when it was turned on, which it always is.
There is a leak detector on the meter and it was turning all the time
the hydrant was on and then stopped when the hydrant was turned off.
Anyway, yesterday (before the water heater popped) I shut the hydrant
thus the water pressure in the house would have been a bit higher.

Thanks for the "heads up".

Don