Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Attaching siding to concrete

Problem: homeowner's house has a large unclad section of exposed
concrete foundation/wall at bottom. He'd like it covered with siding.

Remainder of house has standard horizontal shiplap siding. I'm trying to
figure out how to attach siding to the exposed concrete sections.

Along one wall I *could* furr out the wall and attach siding to the
furring strips; there's a "bulge" there anyhow that needs to be capped
somehow.

The problem is the adjoining wall, where the existing siding appears to
be attached directly to the concrete wall. (How I don't know.) On this
section, what if a guy were to drill for anchors, then screw each board
to the concrete wall individually?

All this assumes the standard precautions: cover wall with vapor
barrier, use siding pre-primed on both sides, etc.

Siding is 1x8, what the local yards call "V-rustic", shiplap with
chamfered edges to form V-grooves between adjacent boards. (Stuff is
expen$ive, I can tell you that. And forget about redwood: ain't
available any more.)

What d'you think?

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.