Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Attaching a hose holder to a house with vinyl siding

My wife wants to attach a cheapo garden hose holder to the side of our
house near the hose spigot. The house has vinyl siding. Should I
just drill a small hole and then screw the hose holder on?

Thanks...

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike" wrote in message
oups.com...
My wife wants to attach a cheapo garden hose holder to the side of our
house near the hose spigot. The house has vinyl siding. Should I
just drill a small hole and then screw the hose holder on?

If you hit a stud, no problem. If you don't his a stud, it will eventually
pull out of the sheathing and then you have holes left in the siding. Get a
hose reel that sits on the ground. Get a good one as the cheap ones are
frustrating to use and a waste of money. Triton makes the absolute best, but
are pricey.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joy Joy is offline

Default Why does my outside hose bib (spigot) have a hollow stem that LEAKS???

Nothing is easy in home repair!!!
We tried to replace the packing washer in our outside hose bib and that
seemed to go OK, but we removed the screw securing the handle and that
screw seemed to plug a hole in the hollow stem which now leaks.

What is the purpose of a hole in the hollow stem and how do you stop THAT
from from leaking?

The guys at Lowes never heard of such a thing.

Here is a picture to help you understand what I have...
http://mysite.verizon.net/bjkass123/bibhole.jpg

Thanks for any ideas of what it's for and how to fix.

Joy
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike" wrote in message
oups.com...
My wife wants to attach a cheapo garden hose holder to the side of our
house near the hose spigot. The house has vinyl siding. Should I
just drill a small hole and then screw the hose holder on?"

Hose reels that attach to the side of the house work fine, and don't pull
all over the place like bulky stand-alone reels. I've had 10-20 dollar ones
that last many years.
Use a stud finder to locate the 2x4's, mark with pencil, then do a 1/16th"
test drill to see if you get wood. If the pilot hole shows shavings, make
the hole the final size, and mount reel. Sometimes, if you are lucky,
mounting holes are spaced to fit typical stud spacing.
Roger

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 12:01:18 -0700, "Roger"
sherryrogeratcomcastdotnet wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message
roups.com...
My wife wants to attach a cheapo garden hose holder to the side of our
house near the hose spigot. The house has vinyl siding. Should I
just drill a small hole and then screw the hose holder on?"

Hose reels that attach to the side of the house work fine, and don't pull
all over the place like bulky stand-alone reels. I've had 10-20 dollar ones
that last many years.
Use a stud finder to locate the 2x4's, mark with pencil, then do a 1/16th"
test drill to see if you get wood. If the pilot hole shows shavings, make
the hole the final size, and mount reel. Sometimes, if you are lucky,
mounting holes are spaced to fit typical stud spacing.
Roger

Or just get a 5 or 6 ft piece of treated 4x4 or 4x6 and put it in the
ground about 3 feet, then attach your reel to it. That way you wont
ruin your sideing for a hose reel that will likely fall apart in a
year. If you need more width to the post, just get a 4x8 or nail a
cross piece of 2x6 to it before you hang the reel. I have aluminum
siding and I wanted to attach a drinking fountain. Rather than wreck
the siding, and plus I needed a 6 inch wide bolt pattern, which no
stud would allow, I got a 4x6 post and used that. I did not use
cement on the post, although a hose reel has is being pulled, so it
depends on the soil. In hard clay, you probably dont need cement once
the fill hardens good. If you want to get real fancy put the post
elsewhere in the yard and run a hose to the reel and put a spigot on
the post to connect the reel. That way you can put it where its most
handy.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 17:15:23 -0000, Mike wrote:

My wife wants to attach a cheapo garden hose holder to the side of our
house near the hose spigot. The house has vinyl siding. Should I
just drill a small hole and then screw the hose holder on?

I wouldn't drill a hole in vinyl siding, or aluminum siding, or
stucco, or stone, or bricks, etc. He's right, the thing will break
or rip out, and then you'll have a hole, bigger than the one you
drilled. OK in wood that can be repaired and painted to match, or the
mortar between bricks. (even then, I wonder how hard to match the
color of the mortar, and how long it takes before it's weathered
enough to match.

Thanks...

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to mm, Marilyn Dollinger wrote:
hose reel

I lived in an all brick house for 33 years and it had a hose hanger attached
by the spigot in the back yard. It was there when I moved in and it was still
there when I moved out and showed no signs of coming loose from the brick.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ng-221649-.htm