Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] businessman@nomail.com is offline

Default Attaching a hose holder to a house with vinyl siding

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 12:01:18 -0700, "Roger"
sherryrogeratcomcastdotnet wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message
roups.com...
My wife wants to attach a cheapo garden hose holder to the side of our
house near the hose spigot. The house has vinyl siding. Should I
just drill a small hole and then screw the hose holder on?"

Hose reels that attach to the side of the house work fine, and don't pull
all over the place like bulky stand-alone reels. I've had 10-20 dollar ones
that last many years.
Use a stud finder to locate the 2x4's, mark with pencil, then do a 1/16th"
test drill to see if you get wood. If the pilot hole shows shavings, make
the hole the final size, and mount reel. Sometimes, if you are lucky,
mounting holes are spaced to fit typical stud spacing.
Roger

Or just get a 5 or 6 ft piece of treated 4x4 or 4x6 and put it in the
ground about 3 feet, then attach your reel to it. That way you wont
ruin your sideing for a hose reel that will likely fall apart in a
year. If you need more width to the post, just get a 4x8 or nail a
cross piece of 2x6 to it before you hang the reel. I have aluminum
siding and I wanted to attach a drinking fountain. Rather than wreck
the siding, and plus I needed a 6 inch wide bolt pattern, which no
stud would allow, I got a 4x6 post and used that. I did not use
cement on the post, although a hose reel has is being pulled, so it
depends on the soil. In hard clay, you probably dont need cement once
the fill hardens good. If you want to get real fancy put the post
elsewhere in the yard and run a hose to the reel and put a spigot on
the post to connect the reel. That way you can put it where its most
handy.