Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Epoxy Garage/Basement floor coating

Is there a difference between the garage and basement floor epoxy
kits, or are they the same thing in different packages?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 15, 9:11*pm, " wrote:
Is there a difference between the garage and basement floor epoxy
kits, or are they the same thing in different packages?

Probably the same but if its plain concrete DONT coat it with
anything!

Nothing lasts forever and coating creates a lifelong maintence
issue....

better to cover garage floor with a pad.

epoxy is pretty good but concrete is forever
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/15/2010 11:19 PM, wrote:
On Dec 15, 9:11 pm, wrote:
Is there a difference between the garage and basement floor epoxy
kits, or are they the same thing in different packages?

Probably the same but if its plain concrete DONT coat it with
anything!

Nothing lasts forever and coating creates a lifelong maintence
issue....

better to cover garage floor with a pad.

epoxy is pretty good but concrete is forever

I had a new concrete floor covered with an epoxy coating (100% solids
made by PPG) to avoid the staining and discoloration and deterioration
which I had in the prior concrete floor from road salt (used heavily in
my area during the winter) as well as oil stains.

So far the surface has looked fantastic and required no maintenance. I
can't know how well it will hold up but I have seen the same material
applied in industrial settings and it seems extremely durable.

My only regret so far is that I did not have enough sand added in the
top coat to get as much grit for traction as I would have liked. The
surface is not slippery but can be more slippery than the former
concrete when it is wet.

It was also pretty expensive to have professionally applied, around
$2000 for a 550 square foot surface. It also took 5 days to cure
completely based on manufacturer instructions, so the garage was out of
commission for that time as well as another 2 days for applying the
epoxy originally.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/15/2010 11:41 PM, Smarty wrote:
On 12/15/2010 11:19 PM, wrote:
On Dec 15, 9:11 pm, wrote:
[...]

This is the product my installer used:

http://www.reconcoatings.com/paintda...9-6680-tdb.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

epoxy is pretty good but concrete is forever

Concrete is dusty and hard to keep clean. I've had expoy garage floor coatings
last over 10 years of constant use and look brand new. This assumes of course
that you use a true industrial two part epoxy and properly apply it. I would not
use a water based product.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smarty wrote:

I had a new concrete floor covered with an epoxy coating (100% solids
made by PPG) to avoid the staining and discoloration and deterioration
which I had in the prior concrete floor from road salt (used heavily in
my area during the winter) as well as oil stains.

So far the surface has looked fantastic and required no maintenance. I
can't know how well it will hold up but I have seen the same material
applied in industrial settings and it seems extremely durable.

I use a similar Benjamine Moore industrial line. The garage I did in Michigan
(same type of environment), properly prepped and applied, two coats on the wear
surfaces looked brand new after 10 years.

My only regret so far is that I did not have enough sand added in the
top coat to get as much grit for traction as I would have liked. The
surface is not slippery but can be more slippery than the former
concrete when it is wet.

I choose not to use any grit because I like the glossy surface but you are
right, water and especially melting snow can be extremely slippery. I use a
carpet runner for walking lanes.

It was also pretty expensive to have professionally applied, around
$2000 for a 550 square foot surface.

Last time I bought the material it was about $90/set (2 gal), with each set
doing about 1 residential garage bay. The prep is a killer though. You must
clean and etch the surface correctly to get a good bond. Depending on how much
prep you need, having someone do it for you (correctly) could be worth it.

It also took 5 days to cure
completely based on manufacturer instructions, so the garage was out of
commission for that time as well as another 2 days for applying the
epoxy originally.

Yep. Walkable after 24 hours though. Have to keep the garage well vented as
well. Bit tricky if you have a gas water heater.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 15, 6:11*pm, " wrote:
Is there a difference between the garage and basement floor epoxy
kits, or are they the same thing in different packages?

Probably depends on the mfr.

Garage floors have different performance demands esp hot tires.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 15, 8:11*pm, " wrote:
Is there a difference between the garage and basement floor epoxy
kits, or are they the same thing in different packages?

Most are similar. Differences are solvent vs. water based. Latter are
more common in industrial applications. FWIW, the shop floor I did in
1974 is still holding up well except for heavy traffic areas that get
recoated every 10 years or so. Used Glidden 2 part industrial type.
Sherwin-Williams today is similar.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 15, 8:11*pm, " wrote:
Is there a difference between the garage and basement floor epoxy
kits, or are they the same thing in different packages?

I'm no expert, but based on the previous threads on here, I'd only
bother on fresh concrete. I kinda like the stuff they use in some
retail applications- clear, so the concrete shows through, which
eliminates obvious wear marks. It also seems to be thicker than
typical DIY stuff, and fills in minor imperfections.

--
aem sends, temporarily stuck on Google while traveling...