TT

Default OT - Epoxy floor coating (or industrial enamel)

I found the most prior topics about epoxy floor coatings on this newsgroup,
so... My girlfriend wants to convert one of our spare bedrooms into a
workout room and I have a couple questions about epoxy and industrial enamel
coatings.

First off, what is the shelf life of 2 part epoxy? The stuff I have is from
the early 90's (got it from a paint company that left their old stock in the
building when it sold). It's Kop Coat brand. Can I just give this stuff a
serious mixing? It's1 to 1 mix and I have a gallon of part 1 (colorant) and
a gallon of the catalyst, part 2. Will this reasonably cover 110 square
feet? How much would you recommend mixing to cover 110 sq. feet?

Secondly, I have several 5 gallon buckets of industrial enamel, would this
work as a floor coating? The thing I like about using this is I could
repaint it whenever necessary, with either the same or another color.

I plan on doing a muriatic acid etch. I've got some instructions that
mention sodium bicarbonate solution to neutralize. Can I reasoably just get
some boxes of baking powder & sprinkle it directly on the floor & sweep it
around, then mop & shop vac it up? The concrete is old, poured in the 70's
and carpeted since, has some paint & carpet foam glue that I plan to wire
brush off the floor prior to etching. Or will the muriatic acid eat the
paint & glue for me?

Thanks

-Tom

yourname

First off, what is the shelf life of 2 part epoxy? The stuff I have is from
the early 90's (got it from a paint company that left their old stock in the
building when it sold). It's Kop Coat brand. Can I just give this stuff a
serious mixing? It's1 to 1 mix and I have a gallon of part 1 (colorant) and
a gallon of the catalyst, part 2. Will this reasonably cover 110 square
feet? How much would you recommend mixing to cover 110 sq. feet?

I would try mixing some small part of it to make sure, but it should be
fine. The can should tell you the coverage.

Secondly, I have several 5 gallon buckets of industrial enamel, would this
work as a floor coating? The thing I like about using this is I could
repaint it whenever necessary, with either the same or another color.

flooring is a high wear application, stick with floor paint

I plan on doing a muriatic acid etch. I've got some instructions that
mention sodium bicarbonate solution to neutralize. Can I reasoably just get
some boxes of baking powder & sprinkle it directly on the floor & sweep it
around, then mop & shop vac it up? The concrete is old, poured in the 70's
and carpeted since, has some paint & carpet foam glue that I plan to wire
brush off the floor prior to etching. Or will the muriatic acid eat the
paint & glue for me?

crazy, water is all you want. wont' touch the glue, but it may wash off.
You can get guys to sandblast for you, dunno the cost. some kinda neat
sucker machine that doesn't make a mess

Thanks

-Tom

tim

yourname wrote:
[...]

Do you have a vapor barrier under the concrete. If you don't the floor
paint will come up.To test for a vapor barrier lay a piece of plastic
down about 2 foot
square or bigger and tape the edeges down . After a few days pull it up
if its wet ,the paint will not stay down the water presure will push it
up.If this is the case you will have to use concrete stain .

carl mciver

"TT" wrote in message
| I found the most prior topics about epoxy floor coatings on this
newsgroup,
| so... My girlfriend wants to convert one of our spare bedrooms into a
| workout room and I have a couple questions about epoxy and industrial
enamel
| coatings.

SNIP

I've given some thought to cleaning up my garage floor and putting down
industrial floor wax with a rented buffer. Sure it'll wear in spots but no
more will oil soak into the concrete. Easy to fix up and damage from slag
and dragging stuff around won't look so bad. Good or bad idea? Where I
work the building is so damn big there's concrete everywhere and it seems
that the stuff on the floor in the bathrooms is the same stuff out on the
main floors, although I can't tell that well. I do know that I can go
flying if someone spills hydraulic fluid, but the floor isn't damaged by
MIL-H-5606 which destroys _everything_ it touches that isn't designed to put
up with it.

Epoxy paint on shop floor---Any good? Metalworking 14 January 28th 05 07:56 AM
Epoxy paint on shop floor---Any good? Metalworking 2 January 25th 05 06:54 PM
Buffing? Darren Woodturning 4 October 6th 04 05:56 PM
Epoxy and machine building.... Richard Nienhuis Metalworking 19 December 20th 03 01:56 AM
glue in knotholes T. Woodworking 8 October 9th 03 12:41 AM