Posted to alt.home.repair

Default front door landing

I have an outside door that opens onto a concrete slab. Dirt basement
underneath. The wood lap siding ran right down to the edge of the slab.
Or it did.

How should I fix that? I'm thinking transition to hardie plank and
perhaps some rubber strip caulked in.

I'll need a new threshold over to the slab also. It's about 6" from
the floor edge to the slab. The floor is floating not attached to the wall.

I'm thinking, perhaps, some kind of wood plank (or double plywood),
painted with Dry Lock and setting on something so water doesn't pool
against the edge.

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 15, 11:20*am, Jeff Thies wrote:
* *I have an outside door that opens onto a concrete slab. Dirt basement
underneath. The wood lap siding ran right down to the edge of the slab.
Or it did.

* *How should I fix that? I'm thinking transition to hardie plank and
perhaps some rubber strip caulked in.

* *I'll need a new threshold over to the slab also. It's about 6" from
the floor edge to the slab. The floor is floating not attached to the wall.

* *I'm thinking, perhaps, some kind of wood plank (or double plywood),
painted with Dry Lock and setting on something so water doesn't pool
against the edge.

* *Jeff

Your post contained just over 100 words.

A picture would easily be worth the other 900.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Thies wrote the following:
I have an outside door that opens onto a concrete slab. Dirt
basement underneath. The wood lap siding ran right down to the edge of
the slab. Or it did.

How should I fix that? I'm thinking transition to hardie plank and
perhaps some rubber strip caulked in.

I'll need a new threshold over to the slab also. It's about 6" from
the floor edge to the slab. The floor is floating not attached to the
wall.

I'm thinking, perhaps, some kind of wood plank (or double plywood),
painted with Dry Lock and setting on something so water doesn't pool
against the edge.

Jeff

Are you saying that the slab is sinking?
What does a 'dirt basement' mean?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/15/2010 12:14 PM, willshak wrote:
Jeff Thies wrote the following:
I have an outside door that opens onto a concrete slab. Dirt basement
underneath. The wood lap siding ran right down to the edge of the
slab. Or it did.

How should I fix that? I'm thinking transition to hardie plank and
perhaps some rubber strip caulked in.

I'll need a new threshold over to the slab also. It's about 6" from
the floor edge to the slab. The floor is floating not attached to the
wall.

I'm thinking, perhaps, some kind of wood plank (or double plywood),
painted with Dry Lock and setting on something so water doesn't pool
against the edge.

Jeff

Are you saying that the slab is sinking?

No. The slab is fine. The land is terraced, so the slap is on much
higher ground. There's about 3' under the part of the house there.

Normally wood siding doesn't go all the way to the ground, but it
does here. The ground here being the edge of the slab. I'd like to
change that as I think this was done poorly, this was a later addition.

I wonder what to do about the wood.

What does a 'dirt basement' mean?

dirt floor, covered in a vapor barrier.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Una Una is offline

Jeff Thies wrote:
[deleted]

Jeff, your descriptions aren't forming a picture for any of us. Please
post a photo somewhere and post the URL here.

Una

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 15, 12:40*pm, Jeff Thies wrote:

* *Normally wood siding doesn't go all the way to the ground, but it
does here. The ground here being the edge of the slab. I'd like to
change that as I think this was done poorly, this was a later addition.

If I understand the situation, I think I'd move the dirt.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff Thies" wrote in message
I have an outside door that opens onto a concrete slab. Dirt basement
underneath. The wood lap siding ran right down to the edge of the slab. Or
it did.

How should I fix that? I'm thinking transition to hardie plank and
perhaps some rubber strip caulked in.

I'll need a new threshold over to the slab also. It's about 6" from the
floor edge to the slab. The floor is floating not attached to the wall.

I'm thinking, perhaps, some kind of wood plank (or double plywood),
painted with Dry Lock and setting on something so water doesn't pool
against the edge.

Jeff

Jeff, I thought it was just me since I gulped a few beers to get the
fiberglass insulation out of my throat. Then I see others not understanding
either.

Post some pics somewhere and give us the link.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 15, 5:52*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"Jeff Thies" wrote in message

[...]

Please come visithttp://www.househomerepair.com- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, how can you have a dirt basement under the slab??
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/15/2010 6:52 PM, Colbyt wrote:
"Jeff wrote in message
I have an outside door that opens onto a concrete slab. Dirt basement
underneath. The wood lap siding ran right down to the edge of the slab. Or
it did.

How should I fix that? I'm thinking transition to hardie plank and
perhaps some rubber strip caulked in.

I'll need a new threshold over to the slab also. It's about 6" from the
floor edge to the slab. The floor is floating not attached to the wall.

I'm thinking, perhaps, some kind of wood plank (or double plywood),
painted with Dry Lock and setting on something so water doesn't pool
against the edge.

Jeff

Jeff, I thought it was just me since I gulped a few beers to get the
fiberglass insulation out of my throat. Then I see others not understanding
either.

Post some pics somewhere and give us the link.

I'll post some up in a day or two. Thanks for the read.

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 15, 8:36*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Dec 15, 5:52*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:

"Jeff Thies" wrote in message

[...]

My buddy has a house on top of a hill over looking a field. He built a
2-story garage into the side of the hill.

From the house side you drive onto the "second floor" slab. From the
field side you drive under the slab onto a dirt floor.

I'm just sayin'

how much to fit a new front door? FionaS UK diy 2 March 27th 09 02:01 PM
Front door - is this one OK? A.Lee UK diy 1 October 4th 07 10:37 PM
front door Tricia UK diy 31 August 26th 06 02:20 PM
gap around a front door [email protected] UK diy 12 September 23rd 05 05:37 PM
Front Door Dorothy Roper Home Repair 3 February 24th 05 03:17 AM