Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Patching vs New "Sheet Rock"

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

"benick" wrote in message
. ..
I do believe him, of course it is easier and cheaper to have a fresh
canvas to hang new sheetrock. However, I have to factor in the cost
of demolition and disposal, as well as resetting depth of electrical
boxes and recessed lights that will now protrude outside of the new
1/2" sheetrock, as well as window sills and doors that would be
impacted by this. It seems to trade one headache with another. Cost
and time aside, the new sheetrock will look better, but the exterior
walls will be thinner, and less sound proofing.

You are thinking "inside the box".

I have demoed many a plaster wall and gone back with drywall. One need
only fur out the studs or joists to achieve the proper finished height.
You can buy 4x8 sheets of 1/4, 3/16, 3/8, 7/16 or 5/8 plywood or osb and
run them through a table saw to create a furring strip of the proper
height. This is just no big deal. They install really fast using a nail
gun as they only need to be tacked into place. The 1-5/8 drywall screw
will go all the way through to the stud behind.

The cost of the wood is far less than moving all the boxes and modifying
the jambs.

--
Colbyt

Thanks. My plastered ceiling was already furred out with 3/4" strips, the
then "three ply plaster" was nailed/stapled to them. So in order to match
I need to either add a fur on top of a fur or remove the old fur and put
in a deeper fur right?

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...n/P1010313.jpg

If I do install new fur under the original fur it's best to have it done
perpendicular to them? Which would make them run in the same direction as
the joists?

Based on the photo you posted I would just add another layer to the existing
strips. When the drywall is installed be sure to use screws long enough to
completely penetrate both layers.

BTW I had to make some for a small project I have going on. I needed them
3/8 thick. One sheet of cdx plywood yielded 30 1.5" wide strips. Material
only cost equal 45 cents each. It took me about 45 minutes to rip those
working by myself.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in news:f2clg6tns658dsqpnrtt8l00jlpa28l13g@
4ax.com:

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 22:51:12 -0500, "benick"
wrote:

Nobody has used nails to install sheetrock since the invention of the
screwgun...LOL...And you still get pops sometimes...Things STILL move...

When in my teens we hung with "blue nails" and used a lath hatchet
with the blade on it.

At the end of the day, our lips were blue from the nails held in our
mouth. Spit a nail out, tap and sink it. You get fast at it G.

And those nails were the sharpest nails I've ever used! I mean if you put
your hand in a bunch of them and pulled it out the hand would look magnetic
to a bystander...until they realized it was the points stuck in the skin.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Nobody has used nails to install sheetrock since the invention of the
screwgun...LOL...And you still get pops sometimes...Things STILL move...

When in my teens we hung with "blue nails" and used a lath hatchet
with the blade on it.

At the end of the day, our lips were blue from the nails held in our
mouth. Spit a nail out, tap and sink it. You get fast at it G.

And those nails were the sharpest nails I've ever used! I mean if you put
your hand in a bunch of them and pulled it out the hand would look magnetic
to a bystander...until they realized it was the points stuck in the skin.

Even the razor blade on the hatchet would cut you bad. Not this
brand, but very much like the hatchet I used. Mine had wood handles.

http://warehousetoolsale.com/_store/...?prodID=E3%2DL

Yes the nails are sharp...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Nobody has used nails to install sheetrock since the invention of the
screwgun...LOL...And you still get pops sometimes...Things STILL move...

When in my teens we hung with "blue nails" and used a lath hatchet
with the blade on it.

At the end of the day, our lips were blue from the nails held in our
mouth. Spit a nail out, tap and sink it. You get fast at it G.

I hate to say it but I'm that old as well...LOL...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

"benick" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Just rip all the old crap out and sheetrock it..In the time you spent
talking about it you could be putting up new drywall...