Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Running Gas FP at Partial Throttle

I have a gas fireplace in the family room that is probably a bit
oversized for the room. It can turn things tropical in relatively
short order. While relighting the pilot the other day, I noticed
that the fire still burns (but less vigourously) if the gas control
knob is left in an intermediate position between "pilot" and "on".

Can't remember the right terminology at the moment, but the fp unit is
sealed with connections to outside for air and exhaust.

Is there any reason not to leave the flame turned down?

Thanks,
Chris

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 14, 2:02*pm, WandererFan wrote:
I have a gas fireplace in the family room that is probably a bit
oversized for the room. *It can turn things tropical in relatively
short order. * While relighting the pilot the other day, I noticed
that the fire still burns (but less vigourously) if the gas control
knob is left in an intermediate position between "pilot" and "on".

Can't remember the right terminology at the moment, but the fp unit is
sealed with connections to outside for air and exhaust.

Is there any reason not to leave the flame turned down?

Thanks,
Chris

If it was my unit I would probably have a valve for adjusting the heat
to where I want it. I dont know about gas fireplaces but its possible
the gas valve wont work right on low pressure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/14/2010 3:02 PM, WandererFan wrote:
I have a gas fireplace in the family room that is probably a bit
oversized for the room. It can turn things tropical in relatively
short order. While relighting the pilot the other day, I noticed
that the fire still burns (but less vigourously) if the gas control
knob is left in an intermediate position between "pilot" and "on".
Can't remember the right terminology at the moment, but the fp unit is
sealed with connections to outside for air and exhaust.

It's called direct vent.

Is there any reason not to leave the flame turned down?

Some gas valves have an adjustment for high and low flame. Just a few
hundred BTUs difference. Leaving it in the position between "pilot" and
"on" will alter the gas and air mixture possibly causing sooting and
other problems.

Thanks,
Chris

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 19, 6:38*am, Tom Lachance wrote:
[...]

Chris- Hide quoted text -

may cause explosive BOOM on ignition......

monitor it carefully if you try this.

can you put it on a thermostat?