Default Howard 350 rotavator - throttle linkage question

I have just rebuilt my Howard 350 rotavator and, to my amazement, it
started third pull tonight. The rebuild was of the gearbox and
chaincase rather than the engine so I suppose it wasn't *that*
surprising but still.

Anyway, I'm still puzzling over the throttle cable and linkage a bit
and would appreciate any help anyone can offer on how it's supposed to
be. I suspect it had been bodged somewhat before I took it apart and
rebuilt it so reassembly has involved a certain amount of guesswork.

The engine is a Kohler 141 with a centrifugal governor, I think I have
that and the linkage to the throttle butterfly set up OK, it runs
reasonably sanely. However the throttle control seems a bit odd as
the lever only travels about a quarter of its possible travel to go
from idle to full throttle. It seems to me as if the throttle lever
may not be original but I might be wrong, it's a plastic quadrant sort
of thing with a bowden cable to the governor end of the throttle
control. The inner of the bowden cable is solid and has a 'dog leg'
kink in the end to engage in a metal disk on the governor end of the
throttle linkage. Is this the way it's normally set up?

The second bit that seems not quite right to me is the silencer which
fits very close above the governor end of the throttle linkage and
actually stops the throttle opening fully because the governor lever
that has a link to the butterfly valve hits the back of the silencer
before it's fully open. The silencer just sits on two studs in the
block with a thin gasket between it and the block. I could well
imagine there should be a thicker spacer there, am I right?

A photo of how it should look or a page from a manual would be very
welcome.

--
Chris Green )
jerrybuilt

Blast, sorry, I forgot to look. I've got a manual, too - will try
to remember to scan in the required.

Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com

jerrybuilt ] wrote:
Blast, sorry, I forgot to look. I've got a manual, too - will try
to remember to scan in the required.

Thanks, would be much appreciated, my From: address on postings is
valid so you can E-Mail me just using 'reply' from your newsreader.

--
Chris Green )