Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

Default Mansfield Flush Valve

Looks like my ancient Mansfield toilet needs to have the flush valve
seal, possibly the entire assembly replaced. Although messy doesn't
appear to be too difficult a job.

Curious as to whether that flush valve assembly could be replaced with
something like a Fluidmaster? Would it be a straightforward substitution
or are there pitfalls likely to be encountered. Are these things at all
universal?

At this point in time I have not yet removed the valve so I don't know
exactly which model it is. All I can tell now is it is mostly plastic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11 Dec 2010 21:18:58 GMT, Jim wrote:

Looks like my ancient Mansfield toilet needs to have the flush valve
seal, possibly the entire assembly replaced. Although messy doesn't
appear to be too difficult a job.

Curious as to whether that flush valve assembly could be replaced with
something like a Fluidmaster? Would it be a straightforward substitution
or are there pitfalls likely to be encountered. Are these things at all
universal?

At this point in time I have not yet removed the valve so I don't know
exactly which model it is. All I can tell now is it is mostly plastic.

IIRC, I replaced a Mansfiled flush valve with a Fluidmaster some years
ago. Worked fine... I've done the same on other brands.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim" wrote in message
Looks like my ancient Mansfield toilet needs to have the flush valve
seal, possibly the entire assembly replaced. Although messy doesn't
appear to be too difficult a job.

Curious as to whether that flush valve assembly could be replaced with
something like a Fluidmaster? Would it be a straightforward substitution
or are there pitfalls likely to be encountered. Are these things at all
universal?

At this point in time I have not yet removed the valve so I don't know
exactly which model it is. All I can tell now is it is mostly plastic.

You have asked about a flush valve. I am really not sure which part you
mean so I will answer in a little more detail.

Both parts in the tank can be replaced with universal parts.

The fill standard ballcock type fill valve can be replaced with any of the
generics. The non-siphon fluidmaster is a good choice.

The flush assembly can be replaced with a standard flapper type flush
assembly though honestly I would not do so. The Mansfield style is superior
IMO. The seals on these last a lot longer than the flapper style and only
cost a little bit more than the quality flapper. The cheap flappers last
about a year in hard water. The Mansfield ones can go 5 times that with no
problems.

If pulling the tank to replace the flush assembly be sure to install a new
donut washer where the flush valve meets the tank.

--
Colbyt