Posted to alt.home.repair
Me Me is offline

Default Question about toilet tank leak

This toilet has been dry and out of use for several months and is about
two years old. After reconnecting it with a new seal and the cold water
line tight with no leaks, it leaks like a gushing river whenever flushed.

It's fine sitting with a tank full of water - no leaks at all. But the
minute the toilet is flushed, what a mess of water on the floor.

Which seal/gasket do I need to replace?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 8, 10:46*am, Me wrote:
This toilet has been dry and out of use for several months and is about
two years old. After reconnecting it with a new seal and the cold water
line tight with no leaks, it leaks like a gushing river whenever flushed.

It's fine sitting with a tank full of water - no leaks at all. But the
minute the toilet is flushed, what a mess of water on the floor.

Which seal/gasket do I need to replace?

Did you scrape up all the old wax and put a new wax ring down before
placing the toilet on the floor?

I have had some luck reusing wax if it's not too old but you still
have to scrape it back into a ring so it can be pressed down again.
Since a wax ring is only a couple bucks it's not worth it unless
you've got no other reason to make a supply run.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
jamesgangnc typed:
On Dec 8, 10:46 am, Me wrote:
This toilet has been dry and out of use for several months
and is about two years old. After reconnecting it with a
new seal and the cold water line tight with no leaks, it
leaks like a gushing river whenever flushed.

It's fine sitting with a tank full of water - no leaks at
all. But the minute the toilet is flushed, what a mess of
water on the floor.

Which seal/gasket do I need to replace?

Did you scrape up all the old wax and put a new wax ring
down before placing the toilet on the floor?

I have had some luck reusing wax if it's not too old but
you still have to scrape it back into a ring so it can be
pressed down again. Since a wax ring is only a couple bucks
it's not worth it unless you've got no other reason to make
a supply run.

Also, warm the ring to a bit above room temperature so it's more flexble to
seat around the little nooks and crannies.
It almost sounds like there is NO wax ring there, or, the wax ring isn't
being compressed when the toilet is set on it. That wax ring being right is
the most important part of the process.

HTH,

Twayne`

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message ...

jamesgangnc wrote in
:

On Dec 8, 10:46 am, Me wrote:
[...]

Are you sure it is not the gasket between the tank and bowl? Watch at the
bottom of the tank where it connects to the toilet and see if that is where
the water is coming from.
Elgy

Posted to alt.home.repair

Me wrote in :

This toilet has been dry and out of use for several months and is about
two years old. After reconnecting it with a new seal and the cold water
line tight with no leaks, it leaks like a gushing river whenever flushed.

It's fine sitting with a tank full of water - no leaks at all. But the
minute the toilet is flushed, what a mess of water on the floor.

Which seal/gasket do I need to replace?

Assume you mean it's leaking from where the toilet meets the floor?

Wax ring and/or the way it's seated, or, the toilet bowl is cracked
someplace.

The water flushes down the bowl OK though?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Me Me is offline

Yes, the seal area was cleaned thoroughly and dried. For the price of a
new wax seal, it seems false economy to me to try and rescue the old one
unless it's only been down a very short while. But that's not where the
problem lies.

The leak is coming from the bottom of the water tank (above the toilet)
itself. There are two screws that attach the tank to the toilet but
they don't seem to be causing a problem because when the tank is full of
water, everything's fine, no leaks at all.

But the minute the toilet is flushed, water pours out from beneath the
tank itself, onto the floor.

Quite frankly I think that main - is it called an overflow pipe, needs
to be replaced. Am I right?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Me wrote in :

Yes, the seal area was cleaned thoroughly and dried. For the price of a
new wax seal, it seems false economy to me to try and rescue the old one
unless it's only been down a very short while. But that's not where the
problem lies.

The leak is coming from the bottom of the water tank (above the toilet)
itself. There are two screws that attach the tank to the toilet but
they don't seem to be causing a problem because when the tank is full of
water, everything's fine, no leaks at all.

But the minute the toilet is flushed, water pours out from beneath the
tank itself, onto the floor.

Quite frankly I think that main - is it called an overflow pipe, needs
to be replaced. Am I right?

Remove the tank from the toilet. Replace the tank gasket and bolts.

http://images.lowes.com/product/conv...24230472lg.jpg
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/tank_gaskets.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Me
wrote:

Yes, the seal area was cleaned thoroughly and dried. For the price of a
new wax seal, it seems false economy to me to try and rescue the old one
unless it's only been down a very short while. But that's not where the
problem lies.

The leak is coming from the bottom of the water tank (above the toilet)
itself. There are two screws that attach the tank to the toilet but
they don't seem to be causing a problem because when the tank is full of
water, everything's fine, no leaks at all.

But the minute the toilet is flushed, water pours out from beneath the
tank itself, onto the floor.

Quite frankly I think that main - is it called an overflow pipe, needs
to be replaced. Am I right?

Are you really sure the tank leaks from the bottom, and doesn't just
drip from the bottom? Maybe your refill tube is disconnected or split,
and when you flush, it sprays water wildly up against the tank lid,
which then runs down the outside of the tank onto the floor. Have you
flushed it with the tank lid off?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote in
:

p.s. It's spongy. It has to be tightened but don't overtighten the ****
out of it. Tighten one side several turns then the other, back and forth.
With the lid off, put a level across the top if you have to. It should be
level left to right when done. Front to back as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Me Me is offline

Are you really sure the tank leaks from the bottom, and doesn't just
drip from the bottom?

It gushes!!

Have you flushed it with the tank lid off?

Only way it's been flushed so far. Everything looks fine from the top
of the tank, then you hear Niagara Falls behind the toilet tank.

Done that. Same problem as above.

The toilet could be left indefinitely with the water supply turned on
and the tank filled, with no problems. It's sort of like a trap - a good
prank if it could be duplicated, because as soon as it's flushed, the
waterfall starts and your feet get wet from the water running from
behind the toilet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote in
:

In another post you said:

Quite frankly I think that main - is it called an overflow pipe, needs
to be replaced. Am I right?

Go ahead and replace it while you have the tank off. I mean you can get
the entire new guts, including the sponge gasket, for 20 bucks.

http://tinyurl.com/2d2k4r7
Posted to alt.home.repair

Me wrote:
This toilet has been dry and out of use for several months and is
about two years old. After reconnecting it with a new seal and the
cold water line tight with no leaks, it leaks like a gushing river
whenever flushed.
It's fine sitting with a tank full of water - no leaks at all. But the
minute the toilet is flushed, what a mess of water on the floor.

Which seal/gasket do I need to replace?

I had a similar problem last year when I re-did my bathroom (leak at bottom
of tank at the big opening). I bought all new innards, installed them
correctly, but the problem persisted.

Finally, out of frustration, I pulled it apart and let it dry next to a
heater for a day or two. Then I reassembled the innards, but I used some
silicone sealant to help it out. I was not expecting this to work, since I
didn't think that they silicone would stick to either the plastic or the
gasket, but it has held up fine in the year since.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 10:46:52 -0500, Me wrote:

This toilet has been dry and out of use for several months and is about
two years old. After reconnecting it with a new seal and the cold water
line tight with no leaks, it leaks like a gushing river whenever flushed.

It's fine sitting with a tank full of water - no leaks at all. But the
minute the toilet is flushed, what a mess of water on the floor.

Which seal/gasket do I need to replace?

I just had the same thing happen. The gasket between the tank and the
bowl blew out. Ten Bux at Home Despot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 19:03:45 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

Red Green wrote in
:

In another post you said:

Quite frankly I think that main - is it called an overflow pipe, needs
to be replaced. Am I right?

Go ahead and replace it while you have the tank off. I mean you can get
the entire new guts, including the sponge gasket, for 20 bucks.

http://tinyurl.com/2d2k4r7

Mine was $46 Canadian at Home Despot for the whole kit - flush valve,
water control (float) and gasket. I had bought just the gasket, but
when I pulled the tank I decided no use putting THAT crap back in
place - so went and got the whole kit and returned the gasket.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Me wrote in :

Are you really sure the tank leaks from the bottom, and doesn't just
drip from the bottom?

It gushes!!

Have you flushed it with the tank lid off?

Only way it's been flushed so far. Everything looks fine from the
top of the tank, then you hear Niagara Falls behind the toilet tank.

Done that. Same problem as above.

The toilet could be left indefinitely with the water supply turned on
and the tank filled, with no problems. It's sort of like a trap - a
good prank if it could be duplicated, because as soon as it's flushed,
the waterfall starts and your feet get wet from the water running from
behind the toilet.

If the leak is from the bottom of the toilet, the seal between the toilet
and its drainpipe is defective.

I've seen it where the wax ring became dislodged as the toilet was
installed, meaning it seated off-center, leaving a big crescent-shaped hole
in one quadrant. You'd never know until you flushed the toilet.

Your only option now is to pull the toilet. It's easiest to remove the tank
first, as that makes the beast a *LOT* easier to heft.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in :

On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 19:03:45 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

Red Green wrote in
:

In another post you said:

Quite frankly I think that main - is it called an overflow pipe, needs
to be replaced. Am I right?

Go ahead and replace it while you have the tank off. I mean you can get
the entire new guts, including the sponge gasket, for 20 bucks.

http://tinyurl.com/2d2k4r7

Mine was $46 Canadian at Home Despot for the whole kit - flush valve,
water control (float) and gasket. I had bought just the gasket, but
when I pulled the tank I decided no use putting THAT crap back in
place - so went and got the whole kit and returned the gasket.

Damn$! That's a ripoff. According to:

http://www.google.com/search?source=...s+dollar+canad

the worse rate was 1.25:1. Now it's virtually 1:1.

Maybe yours was specialty/branded vs the generic Fluidmaster in the US.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 8, 12:52*pm, Me wrote:
Yes, the seal area was cleaned thoroughly and dried. For the price of a
new wax seal, it seems false economy to me to try and rescue the old one
unless it's only been down a very short while. But that's not where the
problem lies.

The leak is coming from the bottom of the water tank (above the toilet)
* itself. There are two screws that attach the tank to the toilet but
they don't seem to be causing a problem because when the tank is full of
water, everything's fine, no leaks at all.

But the minute the toilet is flushed, water pours out from beneath the
tank itself, onto the floor.

Quite frankly I think that main - is it called an overflow pipe, needs
to be replaced. Am I right?

There is supposed to be a foam gasket around the center outlet on the
bottom of the tank. Your's must be missing or distorted. Take the
tank off and check it. Lowes has just the foam gasket for a dollar or
so.