Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Question about toilet tank leak

Red Green wrote in
:

Me wrote in :

Yes, the seal area was cleaned thoroughly and dried. For the price of
a new wax seal, it seems false economy to me to try and rescue the
old one unless it's only been down a very short while. But that's not
where the problem lies.

The leak is coming from the bottom of the water tank (above the
toilet)
itself. There are two screws that attach the tank to the toilet but
they don't seem to be causing a problem because when the tank is full
of water, everything's fine, no leaks at all.

But the minute the toilet is flushed, water pours out from beneath
the tank itself, onto the floor.

Quite frankly I think that main - is it called an overflow pipe,
needs to be replaced. Am I right?

Remove the tank from the toilet. Replace the tank gasket and bolts.

http://images.lowes.com/product/conv...24230472lg.jpg
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/tank_gaskets.html

In another post you said:

Quite frankly I think that main - is it called an overflow pipe, needs
to be replaced. Am I right?

Go ahead and replace it while you have the tank off. I mean you can get
the entire new guts, including the sponge gasket, for 20 bucks.

http://tinyurl.com/2d2k4r7