Posted to alt.home.repair

Default sitting toilet on base

The wax seal broke on the toilet. it sits on a concrete floor with a
raised flange, and was not shimmed to prevent rocking.

I'm trying to line up the bolts to re-seat the toilet on the flange
before I shim it...so what's the best way to locate these bolts? They
tend to rotate as they're being tightened, then they pull out of the
holes.....thanks much
Posted to alt.home.repair

"bpuharic" wrote in message
The wax seal broke on the toilet. it sits on a concrete floor with a
raised flange, and was not shimmed to prevent rocking.

I'm trying to line up the bolts to re-seat the toilet on the flange
before I shim it...so what's the best way to locate these bolts? They
tend to rotate as they're being tightened, then they pull out of the
holes.....thanks much

You may need new bolts or flange. They come with a rectangle head that
should not turn.

To keep them upright while sitting the john I pack the slot with pinches of
the old wax ring.
Or if that turns your tummy splurge for 98 cents and buy a clean one for the
packing.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/27/2010 5:44 AM, bpuharic wrote:
The wax seal broke on the toilet. it sits on a concrete floor with a
raised flange, and was not shimmed to prevent rocking.

I'm trying to line up the bolts to re-seat the toilet on the flange
before I shim it...so what's the best way to locate these bolts? They
tend to rotate as they're being tightened, then they pull out of the
holes.....thanks much

if they bolts are in the flange properly they won't spin or come out.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 09:31:45 -0500, "Colbyt"
wrote:

"bpuharic" wrote in message
.. .
The wax seal broke on the toilet. it sits on a concrete floor with a
raised flange, and was not shimmed to prevent rocking.

I'm trying to line up the bolts to re-seat the toilet on the flange
before I shim it...so what's the best way to locate these bolts? They
tend to rotate as they're being tightened, then they pull out of the
holes.....thanks much

You may need new bolts or flange. They come with a rectangle head that
should not turn.

To keep them upright while sitting the john I pack the slot with pinches of
the old wax ring.
Or if that turns your tummy splurge for 98 cents and buy a clean one for the
packing.

OK thanks for the info. I'll clean the wax off and have a look...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 08:36:59 -0600, Steve Barker
wrote:

On 11/27/2010 5:44 AM, bpuharic wrote:
The wax seal broke on the toilet. it sits on a concrete floor with a
raised flange, and was not shimmed to prevent rocking.

I'm trying to line up the bolts to re-seat the toilet on the flange
before I shim it...so what's the best way to locate these bolts? They
tend to rotate as they're being tightened, then they pull out of the
holes.....thanks much

if they bolts are in the flange properly they won't spin or come out.

thanks steve...i'll clean off the wax and have a look...hard to do!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Colbyt" wrote in
m:

"bpuharic" wrote in message
The wax seal broke on the toilet. it sits on a concrete floor with a
raised flange, and was not shimmed to prevent rocking.

I'm trying to line up the bolts to re-seat the toilet on the flange
before I shim it...so what's the best way to locate these bolts?
They tend to rotate as they're being tightened, then they pull out of
the holes.....thanks much

You may need new bolts or flange. They come with a rectangle head that
should not turn.

Yea but I've seen them turn somewhat before the oval head catches and I
don't like the idea. What I've come to do is use a Sharpie to draw a
small line on the end of the bolt beforehand so I know the position of
the head once it's concealed. A small slot is nicer if a tool is handy.

To keep them upright while sitting the john I pack the slot with
pinches of the old wax ring.
Or if that turns your tummy splurge for 98 cents and buy a clean one
for the packing.

Looks like at least two of us came up with that one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bpuharic" wrote in message
The wax seal broke on the toilet. it sits on a concrete floor with a
raised flange, and was not shimmed to prevent rocking.

I'm trying to line up the bolts to re-seat the toilet on the flange
before I shim it...so what's the best way to locate these bolts? They
tend to rotate as they're being tightened, then they pull out of the
holes.....thanks much

What I do is to use to extra nuts and thread them down to the bolts and hand
tighten against the flange, this allows the bolts to not move and spin as
you lower the bowl through the two holes. Then you put in the nuts to secure
them to the base of the toilet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 09:24:32 -0500, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

"bpuharic" wrote in message
.. .
The wax seal broke on the toilet. it sits on a concrete floor with a
raised flange, and was not shimmed to prevent rocking.

I'm trying to line up the bolts to re-seat the toilet on the flange
before I shim it...so what's the best way to locate these bolts? They
tend to rotate as they're being tightened, then they pull out of the
holes.....thanks much

What I do is to use to extra nuts and thread them down to the bolts and hand
tighten against the flange, this allows the bolts to not move and spin as
you lower the bowl through the two holes. Then you put in the nuts to secure
them to the base of the toilet.

Good idea! i think there's enough room between the base of the toilet
and the flange to do this...

thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in
:

"bpuharic" wrote in message
The wax seal broke on the toilet. it sits on a concrete floor with a
raised flange, and was not shimmed to prevent rocking.

I'm trying to line up the bolts to re-seat the toilet on the flange
before I shim it...so what's the best way to locate these bolts?
They tend to rotate as they're being tightened, then they pull out of
the holes.....thanks much

What I do is to use to extra nuts and thread them down to the bolts
and hand tighten against the flange, this allows the bolts to not move
and spin as you lower the bowl through the two holes. Then you put in
the nuts to secure them to the base of the toilet.

Hmmm. Just might have to try that if the occasion comes up again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

"bpuharic" wrote in message
The wax seal broke on the toilet. it sits on a concrete floor with a
raised flange, and was not shimmed to prevent rocking.

I'm trying to line up the bolts to re-seat the toilet on the flange
before I shim it...so what's the best way to locate these bolts? They
tend to rotate as they're being tightened, then they pull out of the
holes.....thanks much

What I do is to use to extra nuts and thread them down to the bolts and
hand tighten against the flange, this allows the bolts to not move and
spin as you lower the bowl through the two holes. Then you put in the nuts
to secure them to the base of the toilet.

That's a good trick that I have used with some of the old metal flanges.
Never felt the need with a properly set ABS or PVC flange.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/28/2010 06:24, MiamiCuse wrote:

What I do is to use to extra nuts and thread them down to the bolts and hand
tighten against the flange, this allows the bolts to not move and spin as
you lower the bowl through the two holes. Then you put in the nuts to secure
them to the base of the toilet.

The extra nut also helps prevent free-spinning of the bolt when the
toilet is removed. Room for the flange contact bolts should be
available; it's in the wax gasket oozing area.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 27, 8:36*am, Steve Barker wrote:
On 11/27/2010 5:44 AM, bpuharic wrote:

The wax seal broke on the toilet. it sits on a concrete floor with a
raised flange, and was not shimmed to prevent rocking.

I'm trying to line up the bolts to re-seat the toilet on the flange
before I shim it...so what's the best way to locate these bolts? *They
tend to rotate as they're being tightened, then they pull out of the
holes.....thanks much

if they bolts are in the flange properly they won't spin or come out.

--
Steve Barker

Gee I just did the same thing and I found that the bolts would spin,
when in the flange's slot, but would not come out. So I didn't worry
about it too much. But I still would have preferred to have the long
axis of the rectangular bolt head perpendicular to the slot - if I
ever do it again I hope I remember the Sharpie idea. --H