Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Inverter in new cars

I just bought a new 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe. It has a 110 volt- 150 watt
inverter. I can't think of many uses for it. Other than a trouble
light, what else is it good for?

Hank ~~~knows 150 watts isn't much
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/26/2010 08:16 AM, Hank wrote:
I just bought a new 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe. It has a 110 volt- 150 watt
inverter. I can't think of many uses for it. Other than a trouble
light, what else is it good for?

Hank~~~knows 150 watts isn't much

might be enough to run a laptop, but I prefer to use an AC/DC adapter
for that. I bought one for about $100 with a whole mess of different
tips so I can use it with most popular laptops. Also have a Dell
specific one somewhere, but I think it is only 90W so it wouldn't work
with my old Precision M90 which was a power hungry beastie.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 05:16:53 -0800 (PST), Hank
wrote:

I just bought a new 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe. It has a 110 volt- 150 watt
inverter. I can't think of many uses for it. Other than a trouble
light, what else is it good for?

Plug in your AC phone, computer, whatever, charger so you don't need
to buy a 'car charger'.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

With an extension cord it'll run a sump pump when the power in your
house goes out during a storm. Or recharge your cell phone if you
don't have a lighter plug-powered adapter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

My Mom's Toyota also has an inverter. I doubt she ever had used it, or
ever will. The usual reasons I've heard are electric shaver, so you
can shave on the way to work. Laptop computer, to operate or charge.
One friend of mine had a van with a television in the back, that ran
off inverter.

I occasionally look up codes on microfiche, and use a 150 watt
inverter off a battery jumper pack.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Hank" wrote in message
I just bought a new 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe. It has a 110 volt- 150 watt
inverter. I can't think of many uses for it. Other than a trouble
light, what else is it good for?

Hank ~~~knows 150 watts isn't much

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, one HP is 746 watts. 1/4 HP sump would be 186, according to my
calculator. So, it had better be a very tiny sump.

A couple friends of mine tried to power a sump pump off a 750 watt
inverter. They powered the inverter off some wire about 12 gage, under
the seat. Not enough power. I suggested they had to run the engine,
and clip straight onto the battery. They didn't try that. Opting
rather to go get his brother's inverter. His brother's inverter had
been stored with the gasoline, and would not start. A spray of ether
onto the air filter got it running. Hondas are dependable.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Shaun Eli" wrote in message
With an extension cord it'll run a sump pump when the power in your
house goes out during a storm. Or recharge your cell phone if you
don't have a lighter plug-powered adapter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I stand corrected. Even an electric drill to drive a small pump would
consume too much electricity.

How much electricity do the chargers for cordless power tools use?
Could you charge a saw or drill from it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/26/2010 8:08 AM, Shaun Eli wrote:
I stand corrected. Even an electric drill to drive a small pump would
consume too much electricity.

How much electricity do the chargers for cordless power tools use?
Could you charge a saw or drill from it?

I just looked at the bottom label on one of my chargers and it
lists power input 115 volts AC at 12 watts. Look at the label
on your charger or power supply and see if it lists watts, if
not, watts = volts x current. The manufacturer may use different
voltages anywhere from 100 to 230 volts AC for a universal type
power supply and it may list current for both high and low voltage
input. A little math will tell you if it will work or not.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 26, 7:44*am, Shaun Eli wrote:
With an extension cord it'll run a sump pump when the power in your
house goes out during a storm. Or recharge your cell phone if you
don't have a lighter plug-powered adapter.

I dont think so, I dont know of any sump pump that will run on 150,
those pumps also have a heavy surge startup load, maybe 4x so that
would easily lock out an inverter
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 26, 7:16*am, Hank wrote:
I just bought a new 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe. It has a 110 volt- 150 watt
inverter. I can't think of many uses for it. Other than a trouble
light, what else is it good for?

Hank ~~~knows 150 watts isn't much

Charge cordless tools, a Kenner Easy Bake oven, a small tv, a
worklight, a shaver, a 120v cell phone charger, a laptop-maybe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/26/2010 8:16 AM, Hank wrote:
I just bought a new 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe. It has a 110 volt- 150 watt
inverter. I can't think of many uses for it. Other than a trouble
light, what else is it good for?

Hank~~~knows 150 watts isn't much

My wife sometime has a sore back and we bring a heating pad with a
small inverter. She thinks it was a great idea.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hank wrote:
I just bought a new 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe. It has a 110 volt- 150 watt
inverter. I can't think of many uses for it. Other than a trouble
light, what else is it good for?

Hank ~~~knows 150 watts isn't much

It's good for getting people to buy the car cuz it's got an outlet in it,
that's what.

Maybe a couple of 75 watt bulbs to heat the inside of the car before the
heater kicks in? You could use it for charging the batteries on your
cordless tools, assuming they don't have a 12V plug on them as well.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote Re Inverter in new cars:

I just bought a new 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe. It has a 110 volt- 150 watt
inverter. I can't think of many uses for it. Other than a trouble
light, what else is it good for?

Hank ~~~knows 150 watts isn't much

This will work well
http://www.amazon.com/Wahl-4120-200-All-Body-Massager-Pharmacy/dp/B000EQS33G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1290789482&sr=8-2
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Nov 26, 7:44*am, Shaun Eli wrote:
With an extension cord it'll run a sump pump when the power in your
house goes out during a storm.

snip

A 150 W sump pump? I doubt such a thing exists in the home market. Yu
could hook up a half dozen Hyundai's in series to run a standard sump
pump...a little pricey, though.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hank wrote:
I just bought a new 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe. It has a 110 volt- 150 watt
inverter. I can't think of many uses for it. Other than a trouble
light, what else is it good for?

Hank~~~knows 150 watts isn't much

Anything that takes 150 watts or less. Drill, razor, mixer, sander, fan,
coffee warmer, and other stuff.

--
LSMFT

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 13:09:32 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

Hank wrote:
I just bought a new 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe. It has a 110 volt- 150 watt
inverter. I can't think of many uses for it. Other than a trouble
light, what else is it good for?

Hank ~~~knows 150 watts isn't much

Personaly vibrator?

A 150W personal vibrator would certainly get one hot but perhaps not as
intended.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 26, 10:12*am, Art Todesco wrote:
On 11/26/2010 8:16 AM, Hank wrote: I just bought a new 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe. It has a 110 volt- 150 watt
inverter. I can't think of many uses for it. Other than a trouble
light, what else is it good for?

Hank~~~knows 150 watts isn't much

My wife sometime has a sore back and we bring a heating pad with a
small inverter. *She thinks it was a great idea.

She sits a lot, and has a longer second toe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I just bought a new 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe. It has a 110 volt- 150 watt
inverter. I can't think of many uses for it. Other than a trouble
light, what else is it good for?

Depending on the model, you might run two coffee grinders at once?

If I'm correct you can't even run the HF Multi Miracle Tool.

Hank ~~~knows 150 watts isn't much

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I just bought a new 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe. It has a 110 volt- 150 watt
inverter. I can't think of many uses for it. Other than a trouble
light, what else is it good for?

Depending on the model, you might run two coffee grinders at once?

If I'm correct you can't even run the HF Multi Miracle Tool.

Hank ~~~knows 150 watts isn't much

Good for laptops, charging batteries/cameras etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Should be obvious. If your car battery's weak, you plug a battery
charger into the inverter, and recharge your car battery!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Some chargers will work. Others will fry, on mod sine. I can't
remember what is the difference. Some chargers use a different
circuit.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Shaun Eli" wrote in message
I stand corrected. Even an electric drill to drive a small pump would
consume too much electricity.

How much electricity do the chargers for cordless power tools use?
Could you charge a saw or drill from it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

As it happens, you're correct. The brother's gadget was a generator.
Later models of Honda power sources are gasoline powered inverters.
Technology sure can be weird.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 08:50:10 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

and clip straight onto the battery. They didn't try that. Opting
rather to go get his brother's inverter. His brother's inverter had
been stored with the gasoline, and would not start. A spray of ether
onto the air filter got it running. Hondas are dependable.

Inverters dont have gasoline in them. You mean a generator.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Won't run a George Foreman grill?

Yeah, George is a big grill, now.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I just bought a new 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe. It has a 110 volt- 150 watt
inverter. I can't think of many uses for it. Other than a trouble
light, what else is it good for?

Depending on the model, you might run two coffee grinders at once?

If I'm correct you can't even run the HF Multi Miracle Tool.

Hank ~~~knows 150 watts isn't much

No on the coffee grinders. My 175 watt model won't even run one coffee
grinder. (And it turns out that a claw hammer and a concrete floor don't
grind coffee well, either.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 26, 8:16*am, Hank wrote:
I just bought a new 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe. It has a 110 volt- 150 watt
inverter. I can't think of many uses for it. Other than a trouble
light, what else is it good for?

Hank ~~~knows 150 watts isn't much

I carry a non-built in Inverter in my van.

I charge my 18V Dewalt batteries with it.

I've used for work lights.

My kids run their laptops and charge their cell phones on long trips.

I used to run a TV and X-box with one when I had my conversion van.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in
ster.com:

wrote:

I just bought a new 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe. It has a 110 volt- 150 watt
inverter. I can't think of many uses for it. Other than a trouble
light, what else is it good for?

Hank ~~~knows 150 watts isn't much

I ran a P166 class PC in my car for an MP3 player for many years on a
small inverter like that running DOS and MPXPLAY. I still have not
found a commercially made MP3 player with as user friendly interface.
I am at an impasse right now because I can't find any more socket 7
boards and newer machines can't handle the heat.

The Ford / M$ Sync setup plays MP3s and damned near anything else with a
nice UI and voice commands if you want them.

in a natural disaster where your home loses power,you can run a small
portable TV or radio from your car and be able to get information.
You can also keep your cell phone charged,if you don't already have a car
charger-adapter.

then there's camping.

For those disasters I have a 25KW diesel generator, a 5KW gas generator,
a 2KW gas generator, a 2KW inverter in one truck and a 400W inverter I
can use with either truck, or the diesel tractor. The 2KW gas generator
and the 2KW inverter in the truck cover the camper with redundancy.
Backup for your backup, it's a wonderful thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in
ster.com:

Jim Yanik wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in
ster.com:

wrote:

[...]

if you live in an apartment or condo,you generally don't have those items.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in
ster.com:

Jim Yanik wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in
ster.com:

wrote:

[...]

If I tried to live in an apartment or condo, or even one of the hideous
"planned communities" I'd be dead after going postal. I need space, and
if I have to drive to get to my next door neighbor's house, that's a
good thing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in
er.com:

Jim Yanik wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in
ster.com:

Jim Yanik wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in
ster.com:

wrote:

[...]

I can sympathize with that!

For me,I appreciate holidays when all my (student) neighbors go away and
there's few people around my place.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Run away cars Jack Home Repair 181 March 19th 10 04:07 AM
OT -- Small Cars Are Dangerous Cars - Fuel economy zealots can kill you Joseph Gwinn Metalworking 50 May 2nd 09 06:59 AM
BEST CARS ED Metalworking 14 September 10th 08 04:57 PM
Using the inverter from an inverter generator? Toller Home Repair 2 May 15th 07 12:41 PM
BUY NEW CARS FROM $200.00 AND UP!!! ched Home Ownership 0 January 17th 05 03:51 AM