Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Inverter in new cars

wrote:

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 05:16:53 -0800 (PST), Hank
wrote:

I just bought a new 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe. It has a 110 volt- 150 watt
inverter. I can't think of many uses for it. Other than a trouble
light, what else is it good for?

Hank ~~~knows 150 watts isn't much

I ran a P166 class PC in my car for an MP3 player for many years on a
small inverter like that running DOS and MPXPLAY. I still have not
found a commercially made MP3 player with as user friendly interface.
I am at an impasse right now because I can't find any more socket 7
boards and newer machines can't handle the heat.

There are a number of industrial PC104 type PCs, as well as a couple
mobile/auto specific PCs available if you look around. The
circuitcellar.com advertiser index will provide some starting points.